Photo

Large Weddings?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Alipires1

Alipires1
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:50 PM

I'm looking to accommodate over 50 people. Although I am very lucky to have this many people planning on attending I'm realizing that this could get just as expensive as an at home wedding.

I really liked the package at Moon Palace, but they can only accommodate 50 people with that package. The other option would be to do a private reception which would be about 50.00 per person!!!

Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you decide?

#2 TammyDez

TammyDez
    • 146 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:57 PM

I went to a wedding at Moon Palace in Cancun and there were about 40 people and they had a really nice dinner in doors and there was plenty of extra room. Also the couple told me that they were set on paying for the reception and then the resort gave them so much for free for having so many people booked at the resort. Hope this helps. Good Luck

#3 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 5,752 posts
      • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

how many over 50?

#4 Alipires1

Alipires1
      • 298 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:04 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by TammyDez
        I went to a wedding at Moon Palace in Cancun and there were about 40 people and they had a really nice dinner in doors and there was plenty of extra room. Also the couple told me that they were set on paying for the reception and then the resort gave them so much for free for having so many people booked at the resort. Hope this helps. Good Luck
        Thanks...I guess I should just contact them and see their options.

#5 Alipires1

Alipires1
        • 298 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by mauraw
          how many over 50?
          Well with just our siblings and their families, and our parents, a couple of aunts and uncles and our friends we are already at 54. His mother however is very close with her cousins and mentioned inviting them.

#6 nylalany

nylalany
          • 625 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:49 PM

I'm expecting between 70 & 100 guests (you never know who is going to decide to come - my mom's close cousin decided a few days during the last 3 weeks of her last year teaching is more important than my wedding, whereas our family friends from Argentina whom we've seen only a few times in our lives are changing their vacation plans to come to the wedding even though they already had tickets elsewhere.) The number of guests attending if I had it in CA would probably have been 170-200, and I'm inviting 250 (same as if I had it here, minus a few people perhaps).

Anyhow, I visited a ton of resorts in the area while I was looking and I determined that the only reason it is cheaper than doing a wedding here is that maybe I'd get 100 vs. 200 guests coming, and it is maybe cheaper for the guests b/c lodging is cheaper there than in Los Angeles. But everywhere I looked, the packages that really save you $ are for 25 guests or less. All the meals were $50+ per person at the All Inclusives, and that often didn't include alcohol or cocktail hour, or if it did include anything, it was closer to $100 already, so you're up to $100+ minimum, which is on the cheaper side for Los Angeles, but not really that cheap considering guests are already paying for AI. Not sure if you picked Moon Palace for sure, but I can give you quotes I got from other places if you are interested. The cheapest I saw was renting out a restaurant at Grand Sirenis for $800.

I guess you just have to look at it from the perspective that your guest list is smaller than it would have been at home?

#7 Alipires1

Alipires1
            • 298 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:24 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by nylalany
              ...I can give you quotes I got from other places if you are interested. The cheapest I saw was renting out a restaurant at Grand Sirenis for $800.
              Yes, please send me whatever you have. I am freaking out because I can't afford to do a big wedding and I can't find a way to tastefully tell his mother that her cousins can't come.

This sums up how I feel about now.

#8 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
              • 11,656 posts
              • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Alipires1
              I'm looking to accommodate over 50 people. Although I am very lucky to have this many people planning on attending I'm realizing that this could get just as expensive as an at home wedding.

I really liked the package at Moon Palace, but they can only accommodate 50 people with that package. The other option would be to do a private reception which would be about 50.00 per person!!!

i have booked weddings over 50 people at Moon Palace (around 60)...are you talking about the free dinner with the package because i think i have told you that they will also do a FREE private event if you book that many rooms.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
              Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
              Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
              Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
              sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
              Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#9 Dbell

Dbell
              • 455 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:30 PM

I'm with you... although I would love to have only close family and friends, I know that realistically many others will come and we will be paying for dinner for everyone.

#10 JennyK

JennyK
                • 3,502 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:32 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Alipires1

anything is cheaper than a wedding in Jersey lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter