Photo

Prices vs. Wedding Date Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 matt

matt
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

Yeah...we're actually targeting the last week of Feb or the first week of Mar. I don't want to go late into March because of Easter and Spring break. Still, that time of year is expensive...but that's what we've decided on, so we're going with it.

Thx...

mw

#12 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,655 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

hi matt,

feb/march are an expensive time for DW's...but if you look at rates right now add about 10% and you should a good idea where rates will be for that period.

for dreams cabo, i submitted a request for group rates and a contract so they made rates for me...i can't do that for multiple hotels..i only do it once the hotel is picked and the date booked because it is waaaayyy too much work for the hotel to come up with a group rate before rates are even out.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#13 matt

matt
    • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:31 PM

OK...thanks, Tammy. That lends a little more clarity. I'm just starting to feel the pressure of securing a date and I'm getting nervous.

I'll take a look at current prices again and try to get a feel for where we want to go. Thanks for your help.

Matt

#14 mkdela

mkdela
      • 82 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

Matt,

Have you called any of the hotels regarding your wedding, or have you just been checking on line? We are getting married in Cancun in March 2008 and I was able to get a quote on rates without any problems (this was during March of this year). I called 3 hotels, asked to be put in touch with their wedding coordinators, and asked them for a quote on a group rate for March 2008. All of them were able to provide it to me within a matter of hours.

They didn't have to go through the trouble of writing up a contract, because I told them I wouldn't be interested in reviewing a contract until I had a quote on the rooms. The quote represented what they would have offered me for a room block by contract - which is presumably a lower rate than what will be offered online eventually. I also asked what the regular rate would be for that weekend and everyone provided me with an estimate of what they expect the rate to be.
        KATHLEEN & COURTNEY 3/1/08

#15 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
        • 11,655 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by matt
        OK...thanks, Tammy. That lends a little more clarity. I'm just starting to feel the pressure of securing a date and I'm getting nervous.

I'll take a look at current prices again and try to get a feel for where we want to go. Thanks for your help.

Matt
        people don't understand that "rates" and "group rates" are 2 different things..."group rates" they have to figure out occupancy level, etc to come up with a rate...there can be 2 groups at a hotel at the same time with the same TA but the group rate may be slightly different depending on when they locked it in.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
        Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
        Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
        Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
        sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
        Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#16 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
        • 11,655 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by mkdela
        They didn't have to go through the trouble of writing up a contract, because I told them I wouldn't be interested in reviewing a contract until I had a quote on the rooms. The quote represented what they would have offered me for a room block by contract - which is presumably a lower rate than what will be offered online eventually. I also asked what the regular rate would be for that weekend and everyone provided me with an estimate of what they expect the rate to be.
        the problem with this is 90% of the time hotel group rates are higher than going elsewhere...they give you a general high number to see if you will bite.

also, this rate is not set until a contract is signed and deposits made.

Awards and recognition: 

#17 MikkiStreak

MikkiStreak
        • VIP Member
        • 2,347 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by host
          the problem with this is 90% of the time hotel group rates are higher than going elsewhere...they give you a general high number to see if you will bite.

also, this rate is not set until a contract is signed and deposits made.
          Totally agree and have seen this myself! When I contacted hotels myself about group rates, they would only offer like 10% off the price listed on their website---- but TA's get them a lot lower than that!!!

#18 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
          • 4,979 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:37 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by matt
            Hmmmm....

Tammy told me a couple of weeks ago that the resorts I was looking at in Riviera Maya hadn't released their prices yet. Maybe Los Cabos and Riviera Maya are on different schedules.

I also requested info on Dreams (Tulum vs. Los Cabos) and apparently those aren't available.

Thanks for the heads up.

Matt
            Hey Matt... I'm incredibly late on this, but I still feel the need to say something!! lol.

I felt the exact same way. I feel like I was developing ulcers just thinking about the stress of finding a resort w/the rate I liked in such a short timeline!! That's why I picked my resort and did a room block (through Tammy). It worried me that I (a) I was choosing a date that is busy and (B) the rates wouldn't be released still for months!! Through the room block, I secured a rate and I didn't have to worry about what it would be like when the '08 rates were released.
            Happily Married since May 9, 2008
            Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter