Photo

Vancouver Wedding Planner that doesn't work on commission or kickbacks?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vancouver Bride

Vancouver Bride
  • Site Supporter
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hello fellow Canuck Brides!

My fianc© and I are in the early stages of planning a destination wedding and beginning to interview potential wedding planners. 

We are searching for a wedding planner based in Vancouver, BC that doesn't charge based on a commission or "kickbacks" from vendors or AI resorts. We are worried that a planner receiving this financial incentive to use particular vendors will push us towards the resorts or vendors that give them the largest % commissions rather than what fits our preference and budget? From reading online, I am finding out that this "semi-unethical" practice is VERY common in the industry. 

Do any of you have experience dealing with this tricky issue, or ideally know of a local planner that doesn't accept kickbacks?

Thanks! -Vancouver Bride

#2 bmadzia1

bmadzia1
    • 355 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:51 AM

Do you mean an actual wedding planner or a travel agent/agency?

#3 Vancouver Bride

Vancouver Bride
      • Site Supporter
      • 85 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

Re:bmadzia1

We are looking for both a travel agent and wedding planner (perferrably the same person or at least same company). We live in Vancouver and are planning a DW for winter 2012 in Punta Cana. 

Thanks for your advice!

#4 bmadzia1

bmadzia1
        • 355 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

I say shop around with different travel agencies.  Agencies (from past work experience) usually do not have 'bigger' kickbacks from resorts etc, but they could have it through the operator (i.e. Transat holidays, Sunwing etc). Some operators offer one resort, and the other doesn't.

Go pick up a travel book (the magazines) at a local travel agency, and take different operator books. Go through resorts you like, and then give the agent a list of preferred choices from different suppliers.  It is important in my perspective, to do some research on your own.

When it comes to a DW wedding at a resort, you will end up dealing with the wedding coordinator anyways. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users