Azul Beach Hotel - POST HERE!

• Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

#241 KaelaMcD

KaelaMcD
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by htztrtz 

Hi Amanda! It would be so wonderful to see the layout! Also I was told that Azul Beach is super strict about a min requirement of 50 people in order to be able to host the reception at Blue Terrace. Even at 48 guests I was told I probably wouldn't be able to. Any tips on how to navigate? Thank you!

Originally Posted by karyc 

hi girltravel - we are also having about 66 people in blue terrace for our reception next month - we are doing 7 tables of 8 and one of 10 -- my WC said that they will just push the 4-top tables together. so for 8 people it would be 3 tables pushed together (3 on each side, and 1 on each end), and four 10 people it would be 4 tables pushed together (4 on each side and one on each end) -- i've read about some weddings where they would push even more tables together (e.g., have six tables pushed together in a rectangle for 8 people and leaving one end with noone at it), but i think that only works with smaller guest counts.  my WC also said that the tables are 3x3 (so for 8 people it would be a 9x3)

Originally Posted by htztrtz 

Hi Amanda! It would be so wonderful to see the layout! Also I was told that Azul Beach is super strict about a min requirement of 50 people in order to be able to host the reception at Blue Terrace. Even at 48 guests I was told I probably wouldn't be able to. Any tips on how to navigate? Thank you!

hi girltravel - we are also having about 66 people in blue terrace for our reception next month - we are doing 7 tables of 8 and one of 10 -- my WC said that they will just push the 4-top tables together. so for 8 people it would be 3 tables pushed together (3 on each side, and 1 on each end), and four 10 people it would be 4 tables pushed together (4 on each side and one on each end) -- i've read about some weddings where they would push even more tables together (e.g., have six tables pushed together in a rectangle for 8 people and leaving one end with noone at it), but i think that only works with smaller guest counts.  my WC also said that the tables are 3x3 (so for 8 people it would be a 9x3)

Hey girls,

Just thought I'd add my experience with the tables at Blue Terrace since there are lots of questions about them (and believe me, I had lots of questions too when I was planning). We got married on October 14th, last year. We were close in size to most of you, we had 57 guests. I understand their maximum policy because with 57 guests, it would have been hard to fit another table of 8 people and still have a dance floor.

Yes, they line the tables of 8 basically around the perimeter of the restaurant, leaving a "dance floor" in the center of the room.

Yes, the tables are 3x3, but in my case they put four 3x3 tables together, forming a 6x6 square seating 8 people (confusing, I know!). At the head table, they put 6 3x3 tables to form a rectangle (3 people on each side, 2 on the end), but that was only at our table, and I believe they did that so that no one at our table would ever have their back to the dance floor.

All the other tables, though, were four 3x3 tables pushed together to make a square. Having been in the space, I would recommend that as opposed to the rectangle set-up to save space. Also, the tables are big (because one is normally for four people) so when/if you push six together, the table feels huge.

Azul Terrace is in a rectangle (or oval) shape itself, so our one long table (the 6 3x3 tables) was at one end, and the DJ with all his equipment was at the other end.

I posted my flickr account so you can see some more pics of Azul Terrace, and also posted my highlight wedding video where you can kinda see at the end the way the tables are arranged.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions. Have so much fun planning!

http://vimeo.com/54975951

http://www.flickr.co...kaelamcdougall/

#242 girltravel77

girltravel77
    • 48 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by KaelaMcD 

Hey girls,

Just thought I'd add my experience with the tables at Blue Terrace since there are lots of questions about them (and believe me, I had lots of questions too when I was planning). We got married on October 14th, last year. We were close in size to most of you, we had 57 guests. I understand their maximum policy because with 57 guests, it would have been hard to fit another table of 8 people and still have a dance floor.

Yes, they line the tables of 8 basically around the perimeter of the restaurant, leaving a "dance floor" in the center of the room.

Yes, the tables are 3x3, but in my case they put four 3x3 tables together, forming a 6x6 square seating 8 people (confusing, I know!). At the head table, they put 6 3x3 tables to form a rectangle (3 people on each side, 2 on the end), but that was only at our table, and I believe they did that so that no one at our table would ever have their back to the dance floor.

All the other tables, though, were four 3x3 tables pushed together to make a square. Having been in the space, I would recommend that as opposed to the rectangle set-up to save space. Also, the tables are big (because one is normally for four people) so when/if you push six together, the table feels huge.

Azul Terrace is in a rectangle (or oval) shape itself, so our one long table (the 6 3x3 tables) was at one end, and the DJ with all his equipment was at the other end.

I posted my flickr account so you can see some more pics of Azul Terrace, and also posted my highlight wedding video where you can kinda see at the end the way the tables are arranged.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions. Have so much fun planning!

Originally Posted by Amanda Hammett 

They recommend 12 top tables. I'm having 48 guests at blue terrace. I can send you the layout suggestions they sent to me via email

Wow ladies, thanks so much all this information!  I love the idea of putting the tables in a square rather than a rectangle bc it seems easier to talk to eachother, but I'm not sure with my group if I'll be able to do that. Would it be hard to make several tables of 10 work?  I was hoping we could maybe make 1 table of 6, 2 of 8 and 4 tables of 10 work.  haha not very even, but then the groupings make sense and most people that know one another can sit together and have a good mix of singles seated together too.  What do you think?

Amanda, I'd love to see the layout suggestions!  My email is melissalee_s@yahoo.com

Kaela, congratulations on your wedding!  Thanks so much for sharing your photos.  I'll have to view the video when I get home, but I can't wait to see it!

#243 girltravel77

girltravel77
      • 48 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi Ladies!  I'm not sure what happened, I wrote out a whole reply and submitted it, but it hasn't shown up.    Thanks for all of this information, it's so helpful!

Amanda - I'd love to see the layout suggestions!  my email is melissalee_s@yahoo.com.

Kaela - congrats on your wedding!  Thanks for sharing your photos and video!  I'll have to view the video when I get home.  I cannot wait!

Do you think there'll be enough room for dancing if we do 4 tables of 10 and then a few smaller tables too?  I like the idea of putting them together to make square tables of 8 but I’m just not sure it’ll work with our group (I’d like to keep people who know one another together, as well as a good mix of singles together at the tables too) which means tables of 10 might work better.

Thanks again for your help!

#244 karyc

karyc
        • 166 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Has anyone had an issue with needing to pay a day pass fee for an outside vendor for a day prior to the wedding? My DJ wants to meet with us a few days early (which I appreciate) and the resort is telling me I need to pay a day pass for that which strikes me as outrageous since I am already paying $800 to have him provide his services. To me, one of those "services" is the initial consultation. I'm frustrated and am wondering if anyone else has run into this...

#245 Amanda Hammett

Amanda Hammett
          • 61 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

I visited the resort to speak to them in person.  They are still being funny about my number of guest being 48 but they finally said, "OK, but you have to pay for 50 people regardless." 

#246 girltravel77

girltravel77
            • 48 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the layout suggestions Amanda (it's weird my WC didn't offer to send the same thing)!  At least you will get to be in the Blue Terrace – your # is so close, it's a bummer how unaccommodating they can be about some things.

Can someone please tell me what the maximum # of guests is at the Blue Terrace?  My #’s keep creeping upward and I want to know if I am going to reach the max for that venue.

Karyc, I’ll have to ask the same question, I didn’t even think about that!  Maybe if you stay in the lobby for your meeting with the DJ they won’t charge the fee?  Not that that is very comfortable or convenient…Which DJ did you hire?  DJ Dorremixx?

Would any of you mind sharing your day-of timelines?  I had thought the resort would take care of this, but they said they don’t typically put together a set timeline.

Thanks!!

#247 Amanda Hammett

Amanda Hammett
              • 61 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

I saw this post a few months ago and kept it for notes....hope this helps you with a timeline.

Hair at noon

Makeup at 2

Photographer arrive at 230

Wedding at 4

Guests grabbed a drink and then went to cocktail hour at 430

We joined the cocktail hour at 5, 515 they ushered guests to the reception on the beach

We went at 520.  introduced at 530, went right into the first dance then father daughter

Dinner was fast (per my request and speeches were before the salad and before the main meal

Cake cutting right after dinner (645 or 7) then dance all night!

#248 karyc

karyc
                • 166 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Yes, I actually asked if we can just stay in the lobby. Still haven't heard back....the nickel-and-diming gets really frustrating the closer you get to the wedding (especially when you're talking hundreds of dollars and not nickels and dimes)....and this is one thing that I feel like fighting about on principle. I'm so irritated!

Originally Posted by girltravel77 

Thanks for the layout suggestions Amanda (it's weird my WC didn't offer to send the same thing)!  At least you will get to be in the Blue Terrace – your # is so close, it's a bummer how unaccommodating they can be about some things.

Can someone please tell me what the maximum # of guests is at the Blue Terrace?  My #’s keep creeping upward and I want to know if I am going to reach the max for that venue.

Karyc, I’ll have to ask the same question, I didn’t even think about that!  Maybe if you stay in the lobby for your meeting with the DJ they won’t charge the fee?  Not that that is very comfortable or convenient…Which DJ did you hire?  DJ Dorremixx?

Would any of you mind sharing your day-of timelines?  I had thought the resort would take care of this, but they said they don’t typically put together a set timeline.

Thanks!!

#249 karyc

karyc
                  • 166 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Thanks!!

Also, I think they tell you the max is 60 -- but they are letting us have 65.  The max at a lot of the venues is lower than i would have thought -- 55 at wave lounge, 60 on playa chil....if you have too big a wedding i think your only option is the indoor "ball room" -- but i think as long as you keep it under 70 you should be fine!

#250 KaelaMcD

KaelaMcD
                    • 52 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Thanks!!

Yes, I actually asked if we can just stay in the lobby. Still haven't heard back....the nickel-and-diming gets really frustrating the closer you get to the wedding (especially when you're talking hundreds of dollars and not nickels and dimes)....and this is one thing that I feel like fighting about on principle. I'm so irritated!

karyc-Trust me, I REALLY feel you pain about the nickel and diming...it can be a little ridiculous. A couple things that might make you feel better are A.) if they do let you meet with your DJ in the lobby, it's beautiful, comfortable, quiet, lots of little seating areas, actually a great place for a meeting and B.) the on-site coordinators are extremely accommodating, and I'm sure they will work that out with you.

From my experience, Lomas Travel and Azul Beach are operating independently and there is very little communication between the two. So for some of the details, I would hear from Lomas, "We can do that, but it will be an additional $100" or something like that. Lomas is collecting the payment for the contract, so I'm sure they want to add on a charge for every additional request. I ended up not adding a few things to my contract thinking I would ask the staff on-site when we got to the resort and hope for the best, and that was clearly the way to go!

For example, my cousin played guitar for the ceremony, so I asked for a mic stand to place in front of his guitar. Lomas told me it would be a $90 charge. For a mic stand. Seriously?! I did not add it to my contract, but asked the on-site coordinators. They didn't charge a dime, and the mic stand, chair, music stand, and everything else was set-up an hour before the ceremony.

girltravel77-I was also told 60 was the max for Blue Terrace. As far as your timeline goes, the onsite coordinators do take care of that (to an extent). Some of the times (like ceremony, cocktails, reception) will be on your contract, but they will also go over the entire day with you. In my meeting with them, we talked extensively about every single detail, including the timeline. They don't set it for you weeks in advance, but part of their job is to keep you on schedule. So in your meeting with them, they will help you with a timeline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users