Any Scuba Diving Enthusiasts?

JanineA

Hi Ladies, 

so I looked up the following thread and it seems there is only minimal info so I thought I would just start this one. FI and I are becoming certified so that we can dive while we are in Turks & Caicos for our wedding and then in the French Polynesian Islands for our honeymoon. I know that Grand Turk is supposed to be the Mecca of diving places in T&C but does anyone know of or can anyone recommend the hidden diving treasures of the French Polynesian Islands (we'll be visiting Moorea, Le'Taha'a, Bora Bora and Tahiti). Also in January we'll be heading to the Bahamas, I know there is lots of dive sites there but any recommendations on which ones are the coolest or you prefer? In February we'll also be doing another trip the itinerary is not yet set for that but I was thinking Jamaica...any dive suggestions there? I hope there are a few scuba enthusiasts out there and I look foward to hearding from you ladies. 

wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

FI and I are huge scuba enthusiasts!! Diving is something we have always done together! We love to travel, and scuba diving is an amazing way to see new countries. Its also an awesome way to meet people when you are traveling!

Unfortunately I can't offer you any advice on diving around French Polynesia...as we've never been there and it isn't really on our list of places to go. I haven't heard much about diving in Jamaica or the Bahamas either. I'm sure you'll have a great experience there though!

We have been diving in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Belize, Australia (I'm actually heading to Cairns in less than a week for a great barrier reef trip!) and Vancouver, Canada, where we live (however as amazing as the diving is here in Vancouver I am not a huge fan of cold water diving!). We're getting married in Mexico, and we'll be doing our honeymoon in Cozumel and look forward to diving the reefs and cenotes around there!

Red Sea in Egypt and Palau in Micronesia are on our bucket list...sucks that all the best dive sites are the furthest away from North America!

Oh I've also heard that Hawaii during humpback whale season is an amazing experience... and Hawaii is a little closer!!

How awesome!!!! We picked Bora Bora and the FP Islands because of the diving, all of our instructors and diving friends are jealous. I've also heard Malaysia, Thailand has good diving maybe in the future there. We hope to head to Australia next year so do tell of your adventures once you do go. Unfortunately I have so much to do in Turks and Caicos I won't have time to scuba but my fiance will be going with friends while we are there.

Thanks so much for responding.....I was beginning to think that there were no scuba divers on the forum...lol!

I'm sorry it took me so long to find this thread!! I'm surprised there aren't more divers on this thread as well!! Most places to have a destination wedding would also have amazing diving!

I want to hear all about your Bora Bora diving as well!! I'm sure it will be amazing!! I may have to add it to my bucket list!

I highly recommend doing Liveaboards when diving, especially Thailand (Similan Islands) and Australia (GBR). You live on the boat for 3-7 days and do 3-4 dives per day. It means you can get to dive more and go to sites that are further off shore that you wouldn't be able to get to otherwise!

Liveaboards sounds so cool! Although I am a completely newbie. When I dive in Bora Bora for our honeymoon will really be my first time diving other than learning in the Keys. I can't go very deep. I do eventually want to do my advance certification. My fiance has a friend who just returned from diving in Thailand and he did a liveaboard. He was there for 3 weeks, one week was liveaboard, the other two were exploring on land. LOL! Australia is definitely on my bucket list, whether by sea or by land I have to definitely explore that country. wink.gif

Hi Janine,

Andy and I were both dive instructors/master scuba diving trainers before our photography days.  In the Caribbean, check out Belize.  It has the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world next to Austrailia.  Ambergris Cay is a little island off of Belize that is great for diving.  (you can also combine the trip with some days in the interior jungle of Belize which is cool as well).  Honduras is also a big divers playground.   Bonaire is known for having lots of shore diving.  We also loved Little Cayman and Cayman Brac!

Red Sea Diving is pretty amazing, remember that is where Jacques Cousteau started.   I found diving in the winter there a bit colder for my taste...(you need a thick wetsuit).  I would recommend spring or summer there. 

You can ask anyone on Tropical Imaging's staff about diving, pretty much everyone are dive instructors on our staff (and some are pretty amazing underwater photographers).  David just finished a trip to Cuba and last year did a whole tour of Asia for 4-5 weeks (I think they did Thailand, and Indonesia).  Anita who worked for us for over 6 years just moved to Indonesia with her boyfriend to start a photography company there.

If you want to see whales, check out liveaboard boats going to the Silver Banks (between the TCI and Dominican Republic) during feb-mar.  David worked on the Aggressor photographing whales before he came to us!

Not long now before your wedding!

Krys

Krys!!! You're a dive instructor!! Wow you are simply awesome! Master of all trades. I have loved it since I have started. Of course every now and then I get the jitters but it is sooooo cool. I can't wait to visit some of these places and begin my diving adventures....heck I'll be happy diving anywhere other than the keys. Do you know if anyone gives like a one day certification in T&C. Chris is going diving by himself on Thursday (I refuse to wet my hair before the wedding...lol), and his best friend/best man said he would do a certification course if there was a one day available and go with him. I told him I don't think there is, since it took us about 6 sessions to get our certification (2 class, 2 pool, 2 ocean). I didn't know the photographers at TI dive....that is awesome....do they do any underwater shots for TTDs? Man just when you think you know everything there is to know on this site I find out something new.....way cool Krys!! I'll be in T&C in 18 days!! How about coffee Sunday....sorry I'm completely busy all the days before :-(

Most of the dive companies do offer the resort courses (morning in the pool and 1 dive in the afternoon with an instructor, it is NOT a certification and participants  can only do the dives that week and with an instructor no deeper than 40 ft).  I would check with Dive Provo, or Provo Turtle Divers as they are nearby (Dive Provo will be the closest to you).  You'll need to check with Ileana about u/w shots.  I know we do a water escape package that is on a boat with u/w and land cameras taking photos on deserted beaches and snorkeling etc.  It's a bit more than the island escape TTD session because we rent boats and have lunch prepared etc and take a bit longer.  We've never done a proper U/W TTD because we've never had anyone clients who wanted to do it.  All of us love to shoot something completely different so we certainly would be up for it.  If you did that, you would probably have Andy or David shooting as they are our u/w guys with the most experience which is really important to make it easy on the models and help them be comfortable in the water, obviously there would be a lot of land stuff as well.

Here are some Water escape sessions to show you the locations!  if you're really interested talk to Ileana and we'll see what works.

http://www.brilliant.tc/2009/09/the-perfect-romantic-trip-in-turks-and-caicos/

http://www.brilliant.tc/2010/04/sailing-perfect-beach-wedding-part/

Coffee on Sunday sounds great, I am actually in the states from 7th-11th taking care of some family business with my mom, and will be back on island for the weekend.  My girls have sailing club from 9-11 on Sundays so I may be able to get away then.  But you are going to be busy, so enjoy your time with everyone and we can see what works for you.

Krys

Diving for the first time with your hubby on your honeymoon will make it memory you'll never forget!!

You'll probably end up like me... you'll choose all your vacation destinations based on the scuba diving!!

Originally Posted by JanineA View Post

Liveaboards sounds so cool! Although I am a completely newbie. When I dive in Bora Bora for our honeymoon will really be my first time diving other than learning in the Keys. I can't go very deep. I do eventually want to do my advance certification. My fiance has a friend who just returned from diving in Thailand and he did a liveaboard. He was there for 3 weeks, one week was liveaboard, the other two were exploring on land. LOL! Australia is definitely on my bucket list, whether by sea or by land I have to definitely explore that country. wink.gif