22 replies to this topic

#21 Duchess

Duchess
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Opice34
    Books that Jeff and I have both read and liked:

The History of Love - Nicole Krauss (this is my favorite)
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer (Krauss' husband)
    Night - Elie Wiesel
    My Golden Trades - Ivan Klima
    The Giver - Lois Lowry (children's book, but a fave)

(I know there are more, but I can't think of them!)

Books Jeff has passed onto me that I haven't read yet:

Under the Banner of Heaven - Jon Krakauer
    Infidel - Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Also, Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels is another good WWII Fiction.
    My book club did History of Love and most of the girls loved it but a few didnt and it was some peoples faves and it got a little tense! What is the one from her husband about? That sounds familiar...

#22 Opice34

Opice34
    • 414 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:18 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Duchess
      My book club did History of Love and most of the girls loved it but a few didnt and it was some peoples faves and it got a little tense! What is the one from her husband about? That sounds familiar...
      Oh, wow, I haven't met anyone who didn't love The History of Love! (I really wish it had a different title, though.) It was one of those books that right when I finished the last page I wanted to turn back to the first page and read it again! Maybe that's why I'm not in a book club. :)

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is about a little boy living in New York after 9/11. The book is told from his perspective. It's really great.

Krauss and Foer have similiar writing styles, and I assume they are each others editors. They both have a great way of drawing you in and keeping part of the story a mystery so you're always trying to figure out how it all links together. And I think their character development is wonderful.

Foer also wrote Everything is Illuminated. I haven't read that one, but they turned it into a movie, so maybe that's why he sounds familiar...

#23 Duchess

Duchess
      • 358 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:16 AM

I actually wasnt even at that book club, but I guess a little fight broke out. People pick some weird stuff in my book club, but I did hear wonderful things about that book, and have been wanting to read it for a while.

Thanks for the info re the husbands book, it also sounds great.

BTW- Thousand Splendid Suns is finally out on paperback!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users