rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LC_Rachel
    Easy when you can just program your sewing machine to do it. hehe

or you could cross stitch. That's easier.
    sewing machines can be programed to do that? wow! I haven't sewed in years.

my mom can embrodery but it's not right to ask her to make her own gift is it? just kidding, I wouldn't do that.

#12 jajajaja

jajajaja
    • VIP Member
    • 9,794 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

haha. You could always trick her.

Speaking of which, I asked my mom a long time ago to send me my great-grandma's hankie so I could get my intials emroidered in it to start a new heirloom. Grrrr...slacking mom!
      Happily married since 2008

#13 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

I think I need DIY rehab. I'm looking up websites to see how to cross stitch. Is it hard? I can't imagine it's that hard. I saw on a website that kids do it. Hmm, maybe I can hire some kids to do mine. Say I'm volunteering at the boys & girls club & we are having arts & crafts day :)

I might head to michaels tonight with my 40% off coupon & get supplies.

#14 Helen_S81

Helen_S81
        • 985 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Morgan
          I think I need DIY rehab. I'm looking up websites to see how to cross stitch. Is it hard? I can't imagine it's that hard. I saw on a website that kids do it. Hmm, maybe I can hire some kids to do mine. Say I'm volunteering at the boys & girls club & we are having arts & crafts day :)

I might head to michaels tonight with my 40% off coupon & get supplies.
          Counted cross stitch is quite easy, but can be time consuming. You have a pattern which is your guide, some are colour coded, and you count the squares and put stitches in the right squares.

Doing words or a saying would probably go quite quickly though.

I am doing a counted cross stitch from a kit right now as a gift for the bride and groom so if you need more help ask away.

#15 Betsy

Betsy

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 4,513 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

My mom taught me how to cross-stitch a long time ago - From what I remember it is pretty easy but I alway had a pattern to go by - I'm sure you could figure it out thought w/ all your DIY genius in you!

#16 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Helen_S81
              Counted cross stitch is quite easy, but can be time consuming. You have a pattern which is your guide, some are colour coded, and you count the squares and put stitches in the right squares.

Doing words or a saying would probably go quite quickly though.

I am doing a counted cross stitch from a kit right now as a gift for the bride and groom so if you need more help ask away.
              I'm printing off a coupon & heading to AC Moore. I will definitly ask you for help if I get stuck. I hoped I could find the patterns online for free. I just need to write a sentence & I want to make a picture. Something that represents our wedding.

I'd love to see a picture of your project when you are done. What are you making them?

#17 h&a

h&a
              • 321 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

Morgan, you can definitely cross stitch - it's very easy. I used to cross stitch as a kid and make presents for my grandparents... they still have a cross stitch on their wall that I made for my grandma without a pattern. It says I love you Grandma, but the Grandma is severely slanting down to the right. lol... I think I was was about 8 or 9.

#18 Helen_S81

Helen_S81
                • 985 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

Quote:
                  I'm printing off a coupon & heading to AC Moore. I will definitly ask you for help if I get stuck. I hoped I could find the patterns online for free. I just need to write a sentence & I want to make a picture. Something that represents our wedding.

I'd love to see a picture of your project when you are done. What are you making them?

It's a picture that goes in a frame that says "United in Love" their names, and the wedding date, with flowers and a border around it. I will definately take a picture when it's done.

It really isn't their style at all, which makes it more fun to do :)

#19 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 18,759 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by heidi&alex
                    Morgan, you can definitely cross stitch - it's very easy. I used to cross stitch as a kid and make presents for my grandparents... they still have a cross stitch on their wall that I made for my grandma without a pattern. It says I love you Grandma, but the Grandma is severely slanting down to the right. lol... I think I was was about 8 or 9.
                    I have my thread, needle & loom. Now I just need the hankys.

Hopefully I can do as well as you did at 8 years old. I was busy making hot pot holders then. My mom got mad because she bought us the material to make them. But then grandma offered us a nickle each, so we sold them all to grandma. She had a drawer full of them and my mom really needed some.

#20 h&a

h&a
                    • 321 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

Quote:
                      I have my thread, needle & loom. Now I just need the hankys.

Hopefully I can do as well as you did at 8 years old. I was busy making hot pot holders then. My mom got mad because she bought us the material to make them. But then grandma offered us a nickle each, so we sold them all to grandma. She had a drawer full of them and my mom really needed some.
                      Haha... that's cute! I can't wait to see how your handkerchiefs turn out! Good luck w/ them and let us know if you need any help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users