By lkatepetterson, · 1,290 Views · 8 Comments
Judging by the other reviews I want to give Vallarta Adventure the same credit as many other brides and I also want to give future brides some very helpful advice. Yes, the wedding was absolutely perfect in almost every way. From my wonderful wedding coordinator, Fernanda, to the spunky videographer, Freddy, to all of the staff and everyone who helped to make our day the most incredible ever - THANK YOU! The day of the wedding was perfect, the bridal suite was relaxing and fun, the ceremony was beautiful, the food was delicious, the dancing was crazy, and the boat ride back was a fun end to the party. So I'll share some advice I have for anyone who has already booked their wedding or is thinking about going to Las Caletas for her big day.
- If you haven't booked yet, just go ahead and do it. I promise you won't have a wedding anywhere else quite as special as at Las Caletas and your guests will walk away thinking it was the coolest and most unique wedding they've ever attended.
- Make sure to check the weather when you're planning your dress, the wedding party outfits, and attire for your guests. We had perfect weather (luckily) but I've heard some brides saying they were sweating the whole time. So you may want to have your guys wearing short-sleeved linen shirts rather than making them wear those suits with heavy jackets. Your call!
- Check the time for sunset and make any last-minute schedule changes if you need to!! I planned to do all of my pictures after the ceremony since I didn't want my husband to see my dress beforehand, but now I kind of wish we had done the pictures before. We even timed the sunset the night before the wedding and knew we would be cutting it close. The sun started setting right when the ceremony ended and we were scrambling with my photographer to get all of the pictures in. Our pictures are beautiful, but the ones with my entire wedding party are pitch black in the background.
- My wedding dress did, indeed, catch on fire at the wedding. Note: No one was hurt but my dress has a fairly large burn mark in the back. There's no electric lighting on the beach during the reception so there are candles EVERYWHERE, including next to the dance floor. I would suggest talking to your wedding coordinator about this and making sure they don't put candles anywhere people could be walking. I was standing next to the dance floor and one of the candles ignited the back of my dress. Luckily this didn't happen to anyone else, but if you're wearing a long dress, be very very careful.
- Ask for the wedding planner spreadsheet once you book the date. I got this spreadsheet which includes prices of all of the extras as well as what's included in the overall fee of the wedding and it was really helpful for budgeting purposes even before we started nailing down the details closer to the wedding. This way you can see everything from how much a guitarist will cost to how much each bag of petals costs.
- Use the DJ! If you have the money and you want live musicians then that's understandable, but for this wedding, the DJ is really incredible. He caters to the crowd and is really good at determining what people like and don't like. Plus you won't be spending an arm and a leg to use a mariachi band for an hour.
- We didn't book Vallarta Adventure transportation to/from the port. We got the guests together before the wedding and called taxis instead. The local taxis are super cheap and they're not hard to find for a group of people. Just talk to the hotel you're staying at and let them know how many you'll need and then plan ahead and the taxis can even make more than 1 trip. We had no problems with this and it saved us quite a bit.
- Stay on top of your coordinator. It is true that the coordinators really don't like planning things until 3 months before your wedding and this is because Las Caletas has a wedding almost every day. Those planners are busy! So be patient and realize that you may not get all of your answers right away. But stay on top of your coordinators and don't be afraid to send 2-3 emails if that's what it takes. Fernanda was really good about communicating with me but sometimes I would have to remind her of certain questions I asked that she never answered. You're not nagging them and they don't mind! They're there to help make your day as seamless as possible so use them for just that.
- Don't worry about anything. Those planners know what they're doing and they'll make your day perfect if you'll just let them. Don't be afraid to ask for help for whatever you need and don't try to do too much yourself. A destination wedding should be low stress and it doesn't have to be Pinterest perfect. So make some guest favors and a few decorations but then leave the rest up to Vallarta Adventures. It'll be the best wedding you've ever been to :)