#41 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StephanieMN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just want to throw my two cents in here. I have noticed that a lot of brides/grooms/groupies poorly label their new threads with some very, sometime, random title. I am sure I have done it before but am a work in progress :)

The reason I think this can be an issue is that if you are just searching the title of a thread you are not going to be able to find the information you are looking for. So let say I title something "HELP ME"
    Then I proceed to chat about flowers and butterflies and puppies. Well how is the topic title going to help you figure out what I need help with and you may not find it when you are looking for answers on flowers, butterflies, or puppies. I am not sure if I am making any sense or if I could have just said..Title your posts with something that actually assists the viewer in knowing what it is about. My hope is that it will cut down on double topics.

**Steps down from box and turns back on group of confused people tossing shoes at her head**
    I agree. I think a detailed title is helpful. Do you know that if you leave your cursor over the title the first few sentences will pop up? If the thread says "Help me" I will check out the first few sentences to see if its something I want to read.

I think as this forum keeps growing we all need to work together to keep it efficient.

#42 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:13 PM

double post

#43 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 24,768 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

I agree, Stephanie - and I really try to make the title of my thread as clear as possible. Often times I run out of room in the title! Not only does it help when determining when to respond to a thread, but when you're doing a search, and you get a bunch of threads that pop up, it would help to know which thread best answered your question. Did that make sense? lol

#44 LisaG

LisaG
        • VIP Member
        • 7,839 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by AnnR
          I agree, Stephanie - and I really try to make the title of my thread as clear as possible. Often times I run out of room in the title! Not only does it help when determining when to respond to a thread, but when you're doing a search, and you get a bunch of threads that pop up, it would help to know which thread best answered your question. Did that make sense? lol
          Makes perfect sense!

#45 StephanieMN

StephanieMN
          • 1,798 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

Ann--exactly!! The more info in the title the better--let me know if I should invest my time in the thread or skip it if I can't help/learn at all.

#46 StephanieMN

StephanieMN
            • 1,798 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

silly rabbit double posts are for kids.

#47 DreaW

DreaW
              • Banned
              • 2,462 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:06 AM

I agree with you Ann and the other girls, we should be more specific in our Title threads, I know I still need to work on that since I know I'm to blame on a couple OOPS!

#48 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                • 26,161 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:40 AM

Christine, TammyB, and Ann - those were great explanations of the point system. I just figured they were there so only active members (who posted enough to get points) could open documents and such. But I never thought about, or would have understood, the server thing but it makes total sense to me now.

Stephanie, great point. The more specific, the better. I'll work on that too. Like instead of "help me" maybe Help me - my guest list is too big"...or something like that so it is more searchable.

#49 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
                  • 11,659 posts
                  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Jones4Me
                  Honestly, I do not understand what the points mean. Besides being able to "buy" stuff - what is their real purpose? It is not "feigning ignorance". I don't get WHY they exist.
                  But, it doesn't matter. I am understanding HOW to use them, and I do. All I meant by still not understanding them is that I do not really understand WHY they exist.
                  I don't understand programing. Maybe it is some tracking thing? Maybe it is to avoid lurkers? Whatever the reason - it doesn't matter as long as I am using them correctly.
                  I was worried about having too few, so I began playing the lottery and have built up some points and no longer worry about that. So, I just use what I need and gain as I go.
                  I am not trying to say that there shouldn't be a point system. I sort of like seeing mine grow and I like winning the lottery and all.
                  I am just saying that I like to learn about things and have questions that I still don't know the answers to about the points. Not some huge deal. Just admitting that I don't know about it 100%. I have looked on here for explanations and can't find them.
                  OMG!!!
                  Does anyone know where to go to read about WHY there is a point system? I still don't totally get that, and have stepped on toes accidently by not knowing.... Is there something to read about that?
                  brandi,

i will explain it to you once again even though it was explained in this thread:
                  The last thing I need to get stressed about right now is points. LOL
                  no one wants you to get stressed about points...if you need them, just ask and i am sure a bunch of people will volunteer to donate some to you.

what people don't realize is that hosting these attachments as well as opening them repeatedly and downloading them is taxing on the forum resources...it causes the server to be slow and one of the reasons the forum is down some days...
                  so the options are:

1. i can upgrade the server to a dedicated server. this costs around $2000 a month so then i would have to come up with a way to cover that which would probably be to charge members a membership fee.

2. do away with all attachments so it no longer slows down the server.

3. limit attachments being opening by charging "points"..."points" that are earned by members by posting, reading, participating on the forum. the information on this forum should not be one-sided. if you are not participating on this forum then maybe you should not get to use the resources freely...because as they say "nothing in life is free!"

so Brandi, please do not try to "cheat" the forum...it is not nice and things are done for a reason.
                  you do not belong here. bye bye!

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
                  Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
                  Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
                  Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
                  sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
                  Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#50 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
                  • VIP Member
                  • 4,791 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

Wow, I never knew exactly how much work goes into all this behind the scenes. Just wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Tammy & all the great Mods!

~ Jaime & Martin ~
                    "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

Back to Bugs, issues or "how to" navigate forum questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users