Roatan, Honduras?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 addisonreed1113

• 93 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:59 PM

My family went there for our last stop on our cruise. It was so beautiful! We snorkled, swam with dolphins and I just remember how tropical and beautiful it was! I def recommend it!
    There are three things that last: faith, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love.
    - I Corinthians 13:13

#12 superez

• 106 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:50 AM

Hi Melissa, I visited Roatan for a week way back in 96 and really loved it! I'm sure it's much more developed now, but I'm sure the spirit and overall scenery have not changed. I went with three other girls and stayed in some little one room cottages on the beach not too far from Fosters. Can't remember the name, I wonder if it's still there now, but it was owned by a nice family. Loved hanging out at Fosters, eating yummy pancakes at Rudy's, and taking the boat to West End. Yes, it is very poor and Coxen Hole, the main city on the island was quite 3rd world, but the people were very nice. I don't dive, but the snorkeling was awesome. I say go!!! :)

#13 AllureEventDesign

• 115 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:42 PM

Hi Melissa! I am originally from Honduras (San Pedro Sula) and love vacationing in Roat¡n! It is an amazing place that is untouched by large resorts..

Yes, the country is poor and Coxen Hole (the main town) in Roat¡n is not the exception but I can honestly tell you that anyone who visits it comes away with a new appreciation for life! The people, who speak a sort of island English (think British accent with a bit of Jamaican.. if that makes sense!) as well as Spanish, are very sweet and laid back which only adds to the experience!

Snorkeling and diving are a must! Try to book a resort on the beach called West Bay - this is the best spot of the island! The water is absolutely pristine and with the reef accessible from the shore, it's truly the place to be if you like to swim! There is also plenty to do if you prefer to stay on dry land but who would want to do that LOL

Ahh... I could go on and on about it but I hope you decide to explore on your own... Oh, some advice - bring plenty of bug spray! sand flies (jejenes in Spanish) can be a nuisance depending on the time of year.

Happy vacation!

#14 saragray

• 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

My sister has been to Roatan twice and totally loves it. She says it looks like something off the front of a postcard all the time, and the people are wonderful. Have fun!

#15 Jennifer Davis

Jennifer Davis
          • 582 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

My sister got married there in 2007. Personal reasons kept me from being able to attend but she and everyone else who attended had nothing but great things to say about it.

#16 kmyers

• 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:59 PM

We just booked our destination wedding at Palmetto Bay Plantation in Roatan, Honduras. I'll let you all know how it goes.

#17 flbluiiis

• 184 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

I'm considering this area for my DW. Other than diving, is there a lot to do? Horseback riding, golfing?

#18 *Nadine*

• 5,466 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

so weird, I was just talking about Roatan this weekend as we were thinking about it for our honeymoon. Are there all inclusive resorts here?

#19 kmyers

• 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hi! I'm getting married in Roatan in April. We chose this location on the recommendation of some close friends that went there several times. We go to Cayman every year which isn't too far from Roatan and always get rave reviews on Roatan. There are several locations that are ideal for wedding packages. We chose Palmetto Bay Plantation for our wedding venue for several reasons. The villas are beautiful, private beach, beautiful grounds and great prices for our guests. I researched every venue on the island so if you have any questions on specific places I am happy to pass on the information I gathered. You can check out our wedding website to see pictures www.kerryandbill.com.

Although Honduras has some political strife right now, Roatan remains safe and is eager for the travel revenue. I don't dive but many people that are coming are certified. They have a dive shop on site which is nice. Palmetto is not close to West End but that was actually an attraction for us. We are extremely excited.

#20 kmyers

• 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

Sorry for the early post, I addressed it to Melissa but it was for Flbluiis. And yes, there are several all inclusive resorts both large and boutique.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users