Jump to content

Photo

What Is a TA's Role for a DW?


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 jennyFTB

jennyFTB
  • Newbie
  • 138 posts

    Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

    I have read this thread and have found it pretty helpful....I still have a question hopefully someone can let me know if this is normal My TA told me that when a great deal comes up...it may not last more than a couple days...she said that if she calls me with a deal I need to let her know how many people "i think" we are going to get. Based on the number for the group rate...I have to put down deposits for everyone?? That is a lot of work for me, and a bit of a financial concern....what is people back out and i lose that cash....shouldn't I have my guests call her and make their own deposits? WTF.....

    #22 Ana

    Ana

      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 8,047 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
    • LocationToronto

    Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennyFTB
    I have read this thread and have found it pretty helpful....I still have a question hopefully someone can let me know if this is normal My TA told me that when a great deal comes up...it may not last more than a couple days...she said that if she calls me with a deal I need to let her know how many people "i think" we are going to get. Based on the number for the group rate...I have to put down deposits for everyone?? That is a lot of work for me, and a bit of a financial concern....what is people back out and i lose that cash....shouldn't I have my guests call her and make their own deposits? WTF.....
    I know that prices can fluctuate, but I was never told that it was within a day or two. I interviewed a couple of TA's before deciding on the lady we are with now. Our travel arrangements are a bit complicated too, because we have people flying from Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver, and then another bunch flying in from different parts of the US and Mexico. Our travel agent started off really great, we had her do some research for us and she was quite quick and responsive to all the emails and calls that we made. Now that is nearing the end (today being the last day that people can make their deposits for Sunquest for the gr rate) she is starting to slack. More importantly she is starting to also lie and try to make our guests pay more money so that they can book through her. I asked her 4 weeks ago for a "land only" rate from the hotel, so that I could include that for the out of Canada guests. She never got back to me with any of that information. So I spoke to Yesica (the WC at Dreams) and she gave me a rate of $210USD pp for a block of 10 rooms. I gave that information to our invites, and then the TA got angry at me for contacting the hotel to get the information!? She told me not to bother the people at Dreams because they are busy and since she'd already asked them the questions then I was making them do the work twice?! Then she said I should just let her handle this and that she had given me the rate she got, which was $246CDN pp. 1st of all, she never sent me any information because I would have known, I was waiting for it for 3 weeks! and 2nd why is she giving us a different rate? The CDN dollar is higher now, so the rate that I got is significantly cheaper and if people are booking for 7nights (which most are) it will end up costing them $700 more to book through the TA. Does that even make sense? Sorry for the rant, but I'm super frustrated, and since my FI hasn't done any of the coordination/planning for this I guess it all falls on me. On top of it all, our TA never emailed any of our guests, she gave me the info and I did all of it. I emailed them, called to make sure they were booking, answered questions etc. As far as I am concerned she's done the bare minimum. Its sad too because I guess there's no way of knowing how they will turn out in the end. It helps to use a TA that has a good track record and that comes recommeded by others. I am relatively new in Vancouver and so we did the research ourselves...and obviously didn't do that very well

    Jenny, I have all my family and alot of friends in the Toronto area, so I can always ask and see if anyone knows a good travel agent. Let me know if you want me to check

    #23 jajajaja

    jajajaja
    • VIP Member
    • 9,794 posts

      Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:10 PM

      Not to be a smartass, but it seems like she's using you as her personal secretary Tami. I don't have a TA but I wouldn't think that would be considered "normal." After all, what is she doing? Aren't they all clients booking through her?
      Happily married since 2008

      #24 jennyFTB

      jennyFTB
      • Newbie
      • 138 posts

        Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:57 PM

        Adinu, that is a big problem too...hmmm...So are you paying the higher amount Thank is nuts...If you/friends/family know of any TA's in the Toronto area I would check it out...thanks for the offer....

        #25 Ana

        Ana

          VIP Member

        • VIP Member
        • 8,047 posts
        • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
        • LocationToronto

        Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by jennyFTB
        Adinu, that is a big problem too...hmmm...So are you paying the higher amount Thank is nuts...If you/friends/family know of any TA's in the Toronto area I would check it out...thanks for the offer....
        No we're not paying the higher amount. I wrote an extensive email to our guests this morning and explained in detail why, in our opinion, they shouldn't pay the higher rate. I want to wait until the end of the summer to see how many people would need the land-only rate and then get a group quote, either from a reputable TA or through the hotel directly. With that said, its up to everyone whether they choose to go with this TA's rates, if so that's their choice but I've given them all of the information, so they can't say they weren't told.

        I will get back to you as soon as I hear anything about the toronto area ta's :)

        #26 TammyWright

        TammyWright

          Admin & Owner

        • Administrators
        • 11,659 posts
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

        Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:13 PM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Adinu
        So I spoke to Yesica (the WC at Dreams) and she gave me a rate of $210USD pp for a block of 10 rooms.
        you do know that usually rates directly from the resort are higher..?

        Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

         
        Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
         
        Awards and recognition: 
        Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
        Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
        Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
        sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
        Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.


        #27 Ana

        Ana

          VIP Member

        • VIP Member
        • 8,047 posts
        • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
        • LocationToronto

        Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:26 PM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Tammy Host
        you do know that usually rates directly from the resort are higher..?
        I didn't know that actually! But its strange that my TA here quoted me the $246 pp then. Do you know why she would have a higher rate than what the resort told me?

        #28 foxytv

        foxytv
        • VIP Member
        • 7,740 posts

          Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:46 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by LC_Rachel
          Not to be a smartass, but it seems like she's using you as her personal secretary Tami. I don't have a TA but I wouldn't think that would be considered "normal." After all, what is she doing? Aren't they all clients booking through her?
          I thought so too, to a point ... but I think it all worked out. She was able to get us a rebate check and cover the cost of our room (minus our deposit) ... so perhaps she felt that I was doing more work than necessary in the end as well. She did actually say that part of the 'rebate' was part of her commission coming back to me for all the work I did.

          Now it all seems much more worthwhile!

          #29 Leticia

          Leticia
          • Jr. Member
          • 259 posts

            Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:13 AM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Adinu
            I am relatively new in Vancouver and so we did the research ourselves...and obviously didn't do that very well

            Jenny, I have all my family and alot of friends in the Toronto area, so I can always ask and see if anyone knows a good travel agent. Let me know if you want me to check
            I am in vancouver too, and at the beginning I had alot of trouble finding a TA, same story as yours, they were keen at first and then just stopped contacting me. I have finally found someone reliable though, thank goodness!

            #30 Ana

            Ana

              VIP Member

            • VIP Member
            • 8,047 posts
            • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
            • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
            • LocationToronto

            Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by jennyFTB
            Adinu, that is a big problem too...hmmm...So are you paying the higher amount Thank is nuts...If you/friends/family know of any TA's in the Toronto area I would check it out...thanks for the offer....
            Here are a few TA'S in Toronto:

            Marilyn Travel in Square One Mississauga and Thomas Cook (apparently this one is the best). You might want to check it out online?




            0 user(s) are reading this topic

            0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users