Cleaning tips

Nrvsbride

Aww, you sound like me! I'm a neat freak, DH is the ultimate slob, drives me insane. Our Apt was completely hardwood floors. No matter what I did the dust would never go away. It was crazy. Our house is all carpet and dust hasn't been too bad (or maybe i just can't see it because of all the freaking carpet).

i use either method all purpose cleaner on the stove or orange/lime based degreasers. they work well for brian's sloppy cooking attempts.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for all the tips! I am such a clean freak. You know how some people enjoy scrapbooking or knitting? Well I like cleaning. I know that is sick in the head but I do. I feel a sense of pride when I can get tough stains out and people are like "Wow how did you do that?" But I've never had carpet before (that is what we have in the bedroom) and I think that is what is contributing to the dust. The dark wood is also not making it easier. The funny thing is I got the Ionic Breeze (it is 1 week old) in the hopes that it would suck up the dust but I go check it and there is not a piece of lint on there. I told my FI "This thing doesn't work, it has to be broken" and he was like "Yeah, your a freak, its called you clean obsessively so there is nothing for the Ionic Breeze to pick up." LOL

Okay I admit it I'm a loser but I like cleanliness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrvsbride View Post
I am such a clean freak. You know how some people enjoy scrapbooking or knitting? Well I like cleaning. I know that is sick in the head but I do. Okay I admit it I'm a loser but I like cleanliness.
Well I'm a loser too then. I LOVE doing laundry, LOVE the smell of bleach in the bathroom after I've cleaned, you know the rest...LOL

Living with a man sucks ass when it comes to cleaning. Every day, I mean every day, DH takes the cocoa butter oil out of the shower and puts it on the counter to use it. There is always an oil spot left on the counter. We literally just had a text war about this 30 minutes ago, verbatim:

Me - Stop putting the g@ddamn cocoa butter oil on the counter
Him - Wow
Me - Wow yourself, it leaves an oil spot on the counter every day
Him - I love you too babygirl

HA! Such is life. I do what Alyssa said, a maid comes 2x a month to deep clean and I fill in the blanks. She should come every week but I have a 1 bedroom apartment so that may be a little ridiculous...lol

Nothing wrong with being clean Glenda. J is a total freak when it comes to being clean....

Do you subscribe to Good Housekeeping magazine? I am always reading good cleaning tips from that mag. How to get bad smells out, how to clean why you only have 20 minutes, etc. Check it out - or I wouldn't be suprised if you already got it. cheesy.gif

Okay, its a bit OOT, I know, but we have a really good vacuum with a hepa filter. I use the soft brush attachment on the hose to dust. Goes into the vac, stays in the vac.

But change your filters - more often than is recommended - we do ours 3x/year and it really does cut down on the dust/allergies.

One other thought - use endust over pledge. Pledge has an oil in it that holds dust, while endust doesn't. It's not a cure-all but its a start. Trade off is that your furniture won't be quite as shiny when you're done dusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJen View Post
My advice is simple - hire a cleaning person. Works for me. LOL!!!
Ditto! And all of our furniture is dark wood and dust drives me crazy, but if it gets really bad, I just dust with a damp rag. We don't have any pets so that helps. I put the stove racks and drip pans right into the dishwasher a couple of times a week and I just use Fantastik on the stovetop. We also live in a loft-style condo with the exposed brick and natural beams, etc. so I've just accepted the fact that I'll always have a little dust.

Umm yeah, I'm so bad that I watch cleaning shows. Like literal shows on how to clean properly. Everyone tells me to get a cleaning lady for the deep clean, but why can't I deep clean myself?

So not to brag but my mom is an amazing cleaner. AMAZING! So she came over yesterday and I was whining about the stove. She was like "Hello, white vinegar. Have I taught you nothing?" So she took the sponge, wet it, put some dishwashing soap on it, and then poured some white distilled vinegar on it and voila, the grease just came right off! I almost passed out from glee! She told me anything that white vinegar is great for things that have grease on them.

I felt like a little girl in awe of my mommy. blush2.gif

~Jamy I heart doing laundry! Absolutely heart it!

Great tip on the vinegar, thank your mom for me!

And I'm so into laundry that I have my set products and don't accept substitutes. If I don't have my Suavitel it's a wrap. I once walked 8 blocks in the rain with no umbrella to get Suavitel becuase I needed to wash towels...lol So my friend, you aren't alone in your obessessions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
Well I'm a loser too then. I LOVE doing laundry, LOVE the smell of bleach in the bathroom after I've cleaned, you know the rest...LOL

Living with a man sucks ass when it comes to cleaning. Every day, I mean every day, DH takes the cocoa butter oil out of the shower and puts it on the counter to use it. There is always an oil spot left on the counter. We literally just had a text war about this 30 minutes ago, verbatim:

Me - Stop putting the g@ddamn cocoa butter oil on the counter
Him - Wow
Me - Wow yourself, it leaves an oil spot on the counter every day
Him - I love you too babygirl

HA! Such is life. I do what Alyssa said, a maid comes 2x a month to deep clean and I fill in the blanks. She should come every week but I have a 1 bedroom apartment so that may be a little ridiculous...lol

Why am I just seeing this today. Jamy, you make me laugh so hard, I cry. Your text war TOTALLY made my week!!!