Photo

Are you going to (did you) sell your dress after the wedding?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#11 KARLA

KARLA
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:51 PM

If my dress had been really expensive and I could get a good percentage of the money back, then I would consider it. But since my dress was only about $600, I think that it would not be worth it. I really think I'd love to show it to my kids some day though. I wished I could have seen my mom's dress. I realistically do not think any of my future generations would wear it.

#12 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

I would have loved to be able to wear my mother's dress. But 1) she and my father are divorced, so it doesn't quite have the sentimental appeal that it normally would, and 2) it was a long sleeve, knee-length dress ... not what I was looking for! Her wedding was just at her parents cabin on the lake (hmmm ... I see a trend!)

#13 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 3,754 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by KARLA
        If my dress had been really expensive and I could get a good percentage of the money back, then I would consider it. But since my dress was only about $600, I think that it would not be worth it. I really think I'd love to show it to my kids some day though. I wished I could have seen my mom's dress. I realistically do not think any of my future generations would wear it.
        OMG Karla. Thats all you paid for your dress! I love love your dress! ( By the way I love the photos from you wedding you look beautiful!)

#14 NATASHA

NATASHA
        • 646 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:46 PM

I am not a particularly sentimental person and my dress was expensive. However, I love the idea of putting my dress on and cooking in it or greeting my husband at the door when he comes home from work. I also have joked around with my girlfriends about setting up a wedding dress party.

To sell the dress, you will need to have it professionally cleaned. If it has beadwork, they can't just stick it in a dry cleaning machine (the beads will break and they also could cause runs in other parts of the fabric). Professional cleaning runs $300 to $700 (not preserving, just cleaning).

Economically, it doesn't make a ton of sense given that info.

I still have all my prom dresses (I designed some of them). Once a year or so when I clean out my closet I put them on. This year when I did it, my husband put on really funny music from my graduation year while we were cooking dinner and we danced around making fun of prom. It was a blast. I'm whacky like that.
          Shawn and NatashaHappily MarriedNovember 11, 2006

#15 TOESNTHESND

TOESNTHESND
          • 486 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:50 PM

Karla- Where did you say you got your dress from?

Quote:
            Originally Posted by KARLA

#16 anaderoux

anaderoux
            • 3,220 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:53 PM

I don't think I'll sell it because I'm having it custom made for $2500, and since it won't be an original designer dress I don't think I would be able to sell it for anywhere near that price.

#17 tp11

tp11
              • 13 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

Like many of you, I would sell my dress if: 1) I knew where to in this area and 2) I thought there would be a chance in heck that someone would actually want it. I do think giving it away to someone who would want and need it is a good idea. I also know someone who had a talented seamstress in the family and who made the dress into a beautiful bassinet for her daughter. I think this would be a great idea, if I only knew someone that could sew....

#18 *JillD*

*JillD*
                • 5,112 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

I voted no to selling it. For several reasons:
                  a. I am only planning to spend between 500-800, hopefully
                  b. I am sentimental too
                  c. I will either, keep it the way it is, make it into something, or I also liked the idea about making it into a short dress & dyeing it. It will depend on the dress I end up with.

#19 NATASHA

NATASHA
                  • 646 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:19 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by tp11
                    Like many of you, I would sell my dress if: 1) I knew where to in this area and 2) I thought there would be a chance in heck that someone would actually want it. I do think giving it away to someone who would want and need it is a good idea. I also know someone who had a talented seamstress in the family and who made the dress into a beautiful bassinet for her daughter. I think this would be a great idea, if I only knew someone that could sew....
                    The bassinet idea is so creative! What a great way to honor your wedding.
                    Shawn and NatashaHappily MarriedNovember 11, 2006

#20 gkashmira

gkashmira
                    • 1,962 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:40 AM

For me (I figured I should answer since I asked!) it will depend on what dress I buy and how jmuch I pay for it. If I end up paying $1000 or less I will keep it (I'm a pretty sentimental person). Depending ont he dress I may have it altered into a regular dress (which only works if it's not very wedding-y)

If I buy my dream dress (Monique Lhuillier's Scarlett) and pay a lot of money for it then I will sell it after to try and make some of the money back...

I will definitely keep the saree i wear at the rehearsal dinner...
                      Kashmira & Dan
                      Happily married since June 16, 2007
                      http://i95.photobuck....a/IMG_0769.jpg
                      Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
                      Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users