What do you think of this knock-off?

So as some of you may know I'm obsessed with this Monique Lhuillier dress - "Scarlet" from the Fall 2005 collection.

Anyway unfortunately I cannot afford the original at full price. There's this dealer on eBay who is selling a "knock-off." She has saiud she can make it with the lowered neckline in the original and can do it as a slip dress instead of sewing it all together (again like the original). The dressmaker says they've made this dress about 50 times but can't give me a referal tyo someone who's bought it before. On the website they have a 100% rating BUT I went through the products that they's sold and none of them are THIS dress. Plus they don't take returns...

What do you think? I'm not sure if it really looks the same. But it is about 1/10 of the price ($5K versus $549):

eBay: Sexy Lace Open Back Lhuillier Wedding Gown mdl# Monique (item 170049797814 end time Dec-13-06 18:54:33 PST)

FRONT: (Original first then knock-off):

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

BACK: (original then knock-off):

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Please give me your honest opinion!!!! I wish I could just buy the real one sad.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will defintiely let you guys know whoever I end up buyign the dress from! I'm not so worried abotu being scammed as eBay has always been a positive experience for me. Plus this seller has been selling on eBay since 2002 and doesn't have any negative reviews - if she/he werte camming people they'd be changing their name/ starting new accounts etc. a lot and wouldn't have so many positive reviews.

However what I AM concerned about is that the dress won't fit the same, or will just come in looking totally different on me... But then again for that price I could probably afford to have some changes made... I really don't know yet!

Kash- I really debated buying the Priscilla of Boston #2902 online from these people, then I also have looked into the Scarlet too!

I did a google search on their company name, here's what I found online (not much):

This website:USA Bride Boards -> Online Shops

" Anyone have any experience with online discount bridal shops such as Wedding Dresses at Discount Prices or PaylessBridalShop.com I've found 2 beautiful dresses and tried them on at a shop, but can get them much cheaper from the online shops. I'm just a little nervous about making such a big purchase online. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Amy621 Jul 12 2006, 08:27 AM Post #2

Group: Members

Member No.: 425

I don't know people ordered from the sites that you mentioned. But my cousine ordered hers from http://www.bridaldress4u.com . She gave the design (I guess it is a Monique Lhuillier) and those guys custom made one for her. I think the dress is beyond expectation and my cousine was very happy about it. It's now my turn and I may do the same after I confirmed the dress style. "

It sounds like this is at least one happy customer...

This is their return policy according to their website. It sounds like you could return it for a 50% restocking fee. So, is it worth the $350 gamble? That's the big question!

"Return Policy

Please read carefully as the return policy is strictly enforced on refunds.

Wedding Dresses

We will accept returns on new non-altered wedding dresses. Refund will only be issued for dresses in original shipped condition, unworn, unaltered, and with all packaging.

No refund will be issued for custom size dresses (dresses made not according to our standard sizes) or special ordered dresses that are not offered at our store.

We will accept returns on merchandise that is damaged or defective. All returns must be within 3 calendar days of when the shipment was dropped off from the carrier. You must notify us by email that you would like to return the dress and you must have a return authorization number from us before you return the dress. All returned dresses will have a 50% restocking fee applied from the full purchase price of the dress. In addition you will be responsible for any shipping fees, transaction fees and insurance fees. You have to ship the returned merchandise within 2 days after you have obtained a return authorization from us. All returns dresses must be received within 8 days of receipt of the authorization number.

All merchandise must be returned in perfect brand new condition. Merchandise that is not returned in the condition it was sent will not be returnable and you will be obligated to the full purchase price. All returned packages must have a return authorization number stated outside the returned box.

We do NOT accept returns on any merchandise besides wedding dresses."

I still have debated either the PoB or ML dress from them. It's just sooo cheap, and it's the style of these two dresses that i love, not so much the designer name- that's not that important to me. I think that is something you really need to think about. Is it important to you that you are wearing a ML dress? Or is it that the style was that flattering on you? If it's just the style, then this knock-off might be just as nice on you. If it's the designer and the expense of the dress, I might not recommend you go the knock off route. Because you know the lace isn't going to be the same, some of the seaming will be different, etc..

Can't wait to hear what you decide!

I'm glad you guys like it! I'm still nervous.

Sarah - I had read that one their website too but when I asked the seller what the return policy was she told me there's no returns... And honestly I don't care about the label in the dress at all but I DO care about what the dress looks like on me and how I look on my wedding day! If her picture looked exactly like th original I wouldn't think twice about it (BTW I think her version of PoB's dress looks pretty darn close! Closer than this one for sure). But if I just saw this dress (the picture she has) I wouldn't have thought it was the same dress. I guess the question is are the differences worth 4 grand...

Anyway on Thurday ML's salon is having a sample sale so needless to say I will be going! I am praying/hoping/pleading with the cosmos that they have the dress there in my size (the size 10 fit perfectly in the store - no alterations needed except the hem) and that it;s heavily marked down! The sad thing is even if it's 40% off I'm not sure i can afford it... oh well at that price I may just buy it, wear it and sell it!

The front really looks different on this dress and I don't like how the knock-off looks sort of stiff -- like the lace isn't falling right...

I DID go to a dress shop today and try on a whole bunch more dresses (it's not that I'm not trying to find somehting else) but so far this one dress has been the only one that's actually looked GREAT. The rest are ok or horrible in some cases! I guess that's why ML is so popular!

KAsh I think that the knock-off is more than fine. Don't worry yourself before you even get the finished product. I am having my dress made as well by an ebay seller and truth is if it's not exactly like the original we still haven't spent a lot of money on it.

By the way I also love this ML dress. You're going to look great in it. Have you tried on the original? If not go try it and take very detailed pics of the fit. A lot of seastresses can sew from sight and maybe she can make all of the necessary changes based upon the pics.