18 replies to this topic

#11 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:11 PM

here are some links to different reviews...i think i am gonna use sharedink.com....supposedly it is where all pro photogs use to get their books because quality is better.

Click the image to open in full size.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#12 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:20 PM

you can download it here to make your pages for your photobooks if you want to be more creative or have it more personalized.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#13 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:16 PM

Picture Perfect
Which Web sites create the best photo albums

I have never been much of a picture taker, but after my daughter was born two months ago, I started snapping photos at every sniff, yawn, and burp. Soon after I entered this Richard Avedon phase, however, I discovered the Catch-22 of digital photography: The more pictures you take, the harder they are to share. Gather everyone around your computer monitor? Boring. E-mail your online slide show? Grandma complains she can't log in.

Then I came across the self-published photo album. Almost every photo-sharing Web site, like Kodak.com and Shutterfly, offers the service, allowing you to publish your digital photos in a hardcover photo book. The cost ranges from $20 to over $100, depending on the size of the album and the options that you choose, and the albums are delivered within days.

But are the books worthy of my beautiful baby? To find out, I ordered a 20-page book of snapshots from six prominent photo-sharing sites. Although some offer albums of various sizes, I chose a standard size—about seven inches by five inches—for each book and evaluated the products using the following methodology:

Print quality (10 possible points): Are the images crisp? Grainy? I uploaded a variety of photographs, from close-ups to wide-angle outdoor shots. I also used different cameras: I took most with my 5-megapixel Sony, but I snapped some with a low-quality, old, 2-megapixel Kodak.

Cover quality (10 possible points): Is it pretty to look at it? Is it made from high-quality material? I designed the books to look like baby albums, choosing white covers over black and linen over leather when available.

Web site/software (10 possible points): All the Web sites promised that the books were easy to make. They lied. The simplest site required two hours of pointing and clicking. Some books took as long as four hours to create. So, I rated the services on ease of use. Can you upload multiple photos? Or does each picture have to be transferred individually? I also rated the sites on their production software. Some allow users to place photos anywhere on the page while others require captions or have restrictive templates. I also penalized sites that were not Mac-compatible.

Service (10 possible points)id the book arrive on time? Could I call someone if I had problems? Could I return it?

Before I detail the results, a few introductory notes on the ways and means of photo-booking. First, you have to upload each picture in the exact condition that you want it to appear in the album—the Web sites don't allow you to do much more than photo-cropping (and some don't offer that) once you've uploaded them into the book-production software. For instance, you must remove red-eye before you transfer the picture to the site.

There are significant differences among the photo-sharing sites. Some will delete your pictures if you don't order any prints for a year, and recently Kodak was of damaging photos by compressing them in order to save space on the company's servers (the company denies the allegations). To be clear, I focused only on photo books; I did not evaluate the sites' photo-sharing competence or capabilities.

From worst to best:

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.SnapfishTotal price paid: $28.01
I know I'm biased, but my daughter is painfully cute. She has dark hair, a nubbin nose, and eyes so blue that you want to dive right in. Then why does she look like Winston Churchill in this album? Because the images are so drained and fuzzy that they make the Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.PhotoworksTotal price paid: $30.95 (price includes a special $5.99 discount)
Compiling this album requires an inner Martha Stewart. You need to make dozens of design decisions (should the cover be "amore red" or "coastal blue"?) and have the patience of a breast-feeding mother (the software is bearishly slow). But for the most part, the site rewards your effort. Made from high-quality linen, the book looks Audrey Hepburn-elegant. Indeed, if I was judging the books solely by their covers, this would take the gold.

The quality of the pictures is also impressive. While the photos are a touch grainier than Kodak's or Shutterfly's, they're vivid and clean. Best of all, however, are the layout options. The site allows you to make a double-page spread of Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Awards and recognition: 

#14 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:35 PM

this article is interesting and says to go shutterfly or sharedink...also, shows the book sharedink uses and the binding quality (one of the complaints about my publisher)
or
Everything You Wanted To Know About Custom Photo Books But Were Afraid To Ask Copyright Mark Hobson. All rights reserved.

In Click the image to open in full size.
Hobson produced the NPN Primer book using SharedInk.com. It features the photography of NPN members Eric Fredine, Mitchell Thomas, Ronnie Gaubert, Maureen Pulignano, Michael Gordon, Jim White, Jim Zipp and Mark Hobson.

Since the article appeared, two things have happened. The article triggered a rather constant trickle of emails from NPNers with questions about various aspects of photo book design, layout, technical issues, etc. And, as you may have noticed on the front page of NPN, Click the image to open in full size.

Awards and recognition: 

#15 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:42 PM

i think i am gonna do sharedink.com...it is a little more work...i will have to set up the page but i kinda wanted to do that anyways...they have templates but just not how i like them to look.

i saw some mpublisher books online and they looked kinda cheap...like the glue was coming off the top and it opened funny...also, mypublisher has gotten slammed in the reviews...google mypublisher reviews and you will see...

one thing about sharedink that i was really impressed with was i ran out of storage and had some issues uploading all my huge pics (5-6MB each) and the president of the company saw that i had an issue and emailed me direcly helping me...that is what i call customer service.

i think if you want to do something a little less in quality but still good, shutterfly has also gotten good reviews but you can only load 250 pics per book...

Awards and recognition: 

#16 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:35 AM

for janet and noobs.

Awards and recognition: 

#17 NATASHA

NATASHA
  • 646 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:38 PM

My husban also read an article in the WSJ recently that ranked these and this was his recommendation after filtering through everything:

MyPublisher | Design your own Photo Book to be printed as a beautiful hardcover book!
    Shawn and NatashaHappily MarriedNovember 11, 2006

#18 Janet

Janet
    • VIP Member
    • 7,459 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

So I made a book in iPhoto, uploaded it to MyPublisher, and ordered it for 50% off (woo hoo!) and it just came today (only a 2-day turnaround - impressive!).

My initial thoughts:

Perhaps I had really high expectations, but I think the book is good, but not great. I don't think it will be my ultimate wedding album. But it will be great to have around to show people.

Being able to do all the work in iPhoto was the best part. I don't know what the MyPublisher bookmaker software is like though (I don't have a PC).

The parts I don't love:

The photos are a tad darker than they appear on the screen. If I order more, I will lighten in photoshop first.

The pics near the binding get cut off by the binding a little. Don't put anything really important right in the crease.

The paper is a little thinner than ideal, at least for a fabulous album.

The size overall just seems a little small to me. I think I want something bigger than 8.5x11. (You can do bigger with regular MyPublisher, but not with iPhoto/MyPublisher, unfortunately.)

I'll take some photos of the book when I get home to try to show you all some of these things.

#19 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
      • 11,659 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:00 PM

hi janet,

i'd love to see photos...the quality really fluctuates with each photobook. i had read some not great reviews on mypublisher (i actually had the software downloaded and my book halway done but scrapped it).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by JANET1111
      So I made a book in iPhoto, uploaded it to MyPublisher, and ordered it for 50% off (woo hoo!) and it just came today (only a 2-day turnaround - impressive!).

My initial thoughts:

Perhaps I had really high expectations, but I think the book is good, but not great. I don't think it will be my ultimate wedding album. But it will be great to have around to show people.

Being able to do all the work in iPhoto was the best part. I don't know what the MyPublisher bookmaker software is like though (I don't have a PC).

The parts I don't love:

The photos are a tad darker than they appear on the screen. If I order more, I will lighten in photoshop first.

The pics near the binding get cut off by the binding a little. Don't put anything really important right in the crease.

The paper is a little thinner than ideal, at least for a fabulous album.

The size overall just seems a little small to me. I think I want something bigger than 8.5x11. (You can do bigger with regular MyPublisher, but not with iPhoto/MyPublisher, unfortunately.)

I'll take some photos of the book when I get home to try to show you all some of these things.

Awards and recognition: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users