Pasta Recipes

starchild

Here's an awesome baby artichoke & pasta recipe I learned from my days in the 'choke business. It is SO yummy.

Penne Pasta with Artichokes, Parmesan and Sausage

Source: Ocean Mist Farms

Serves: 6

Ingredients

4 sweet Italian sausages

1 large chopped Onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

18 Ocean Mist Baby Artichokes, prepared

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 cup chicken broth

12 oz. penne pasta cooked al dente

4 Tablespoons butter

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley

salt and pepper to taste

Directions

In a large stainless steel or enameled skillet, sauté the sausage over moderately high heat until it is browned, add the Onion and garlic, and cook over moderate heat, stirring until the Onion is golden. Add the prepared Baby Artichokes (See Baby Artichokes), the wine and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer the mixture, covered, for 15-20 minutes, or until the Artichoke Hearts are tender. Cook the mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until the juices have thickened slightly. Keep warm and covered.

Serve over fettuccine, cooked al dente, tossed with the butter and Parmesan. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley.

Here is the method for preparing baby chokes prior to using for any recipe

After rinsing, snap off the lower petals until you reach the yellow-green core. Use a knife and cut off the top half inch of the Baby Artichoke, or just below the green tips of the petals. Trim the stems and all remaining dark-green areas from the base. Slice, halve or quarter per your recipe directions or preference.

Tip: To preserve the color, immediately soak prepared Baby Artichokes in acidulated water (water with lemon juice or vinegar) until you are ready to cook with them to prevent browning caused by oxidation. (Optional)

**If you need pics of what they should look like, go here Baby Artichokes - A Completely Edible Treat!

I took a little from ingredients at a couple restaurants that we like and came up with a made-from-scratch version of this. But I'm posting the quick-n-easy version for those people who don't want to spend 2 hours cooking dinner:

Ingredients (guessing at quantities because I don't measure things):

- package of cooked bacon

- jar of oil-soaked sun-dried tomatoes (diced into smaller pieces)

- 8 oz package of sliced mushrooms

- Shallet, diced

- package of chopped cooked chicken breast for salads

- jar of Classico Sun Dried Tomato Alfredo sauce

- box of bow tie pasta

- Throw in to match your taste: garlic, salt, pepper, grated parmesan, basil

Boil pasta. While that's cooking: sautee the mushrooms for about 3-5 minutes (depending on size of slice). Add shallot, garlic and sun-dried tomatos to mushrooms, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add sauce & chicken and keep on low heat to keep warm. Drain pasta and mix with sauce. Sprinkle with bacon, and grated parmesan.

Here's another easy one that I made:

- bow tie pasta

- alfredo sauce

- small package of smoked salmon (like 4-6oz size)

- diced shallot

- tarragon (maybe 1-2 tablespoons)

- white wine

You can use a jar of store alfredo sauce. I usually make my own, but I don't remember the butter, cream quantities off the top of my head.

Basically, you sautee the onion. Then add some white wine and throw in the tarragon. Simmer until the white wine is reduced. Then add your alfredo sauce, then add the smoked salmon at the end (just to warm it up). Mix the bow tie pasta in once it's drained.

Quote:
Pasta all'Amatriciana
1 pound bucatini (can also use spaghetti or thin linguine)
Salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan in a slow stream
1/4 pound (4 ounces) pancetta*, diced (more if you like it meaty)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (2 tsp. if you like it on fire)
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grana Padano or Romano, to pass at the table
omg Jamy....this is one of my all-time faves! One of my favorite Italian places serves this and I can't help but get it every time we go there! They make it with the bucatini which I looooveee! And Pancetta is just so yummy to me. Thanks for posting the recipe!! pinkie.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by host View Post
ok i have a fetucinni alfredo recipe that i have to find but really i just kind of make stuff off the cuff...

i keep this stuff in the pantry/fridge:
  • pinenuts
  • sundried tomatoes
  • olives
  • tomato pastes
  • canned tomatoes
  • baby spinach (use alot for salads)
  • different pasta shapes
  • parmesan
  • half and half
  • fresh basil that i grow on my window ledge
  • various dried hers (pepper flakes, oregano, thyme, bay leaves)

steve really likes when i do this..it is so easy and just uses the stuff i usually have around the house:
  • i like to use bowtie or conchiglie pasta
  • add olive oil ato pan and slivered garlic until garlic is golden, add some pepper flakes
  • take leftover chicken and chop it up and
  • cook with sundried tomatoes and some of the oil that it comes in in the pan with garlic and pepper flakes
  • when they are heated through turn off heat and add cooked pasta, toasted sun dried tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, some chopped basil, some half and half (or cream is better) and a handful of parmesan...toss and salt and pepper to taste.

it is really hearty and soo easy to make and has saved us in a pinch.
this sounds delicious!!!

This is SO great! I spent 6 months in a culinary school in Italy, so I'm a total pasta fiend and I love a good recipie, and have lots to share.

Here's one of my favorites: quick, easy, relatively healthy...

Orechiette - as much as you want to make

Broccoli - the tops are best, but the stock works well too - as much as you want to add

2 cloves of garlic - chopped

a healthy squeeze of anchovy past (probably 1/2 to 1 teaspoon)

3-5 Tablespoons of olive oil

a pinch of red pepper flakes

a pinch of salt

grated (not shredded) parmesan cheese

Boil water in a big pan - a good gallon or so. When its boiling, add the orrichette and set a timer for 6 minutes. Get everything else ready to go in the meantime.

When the timer goes off, put the broccoli in the water - you're going to cook it at the same time as finishing the pasta. Four minutes later, pour the whole shebang into a colander. Save a bit of the water you used to boil the pasta for later.

Put the pan back on the stove and put in the olive oil. When its hot, add the garlic and red pepper flakes, salt and anchovy. Stir it around a bit until the garlic toasts a bit - maybe 2 minutes. Put the pasta and broccoli back in the pan and toss to coat. Add the pasta water if you need a little more liquid to coat. Add a good amount of parmesan - if I use 1/2 pound of pasta, I use about 1/4 cup parmesan - and toss to mix.

Serve it with additional parmesan. So yummy! I think I'm having it for dinner tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxytv View Post
Okay -- here's my alfredo recipe (adapted from my good friend Tony Bertolo, a true blooded Italian with a ton of older Italian ladies who ove to cook pasta!!! -- he and his family have several Italian joints locally.)

1 lb. Orichette pasta, cooked and drained (I love the way the orichette holds on to the sauce, and the consistently of this pasta -- but you can use any pasta you prefer).

4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 stick unsalted butter
Heavy cream (about 2 cups -- adjust based on thickness desired)
Fresh Parmesan, Asiago or Romano cheese (freshly grate it yourself just before adding it to the sauce) About 1 cup or adjust based on desired thickness/consistency
Salt
Pepper
Basil

Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Add garlic and saute until lightly brown and aromatic.

Keep heat on low and slowly add in heavy cream, whisk to blend.

Slowly heat butter/cream/garlic mixture, stirring.

Slowly add grated cheese and continue to whisk until melted.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Mix pasta and sauce, adding basil as garnish.

ENJOY!!!

I keep my thickness/consistency relatively light/soupy, since it will thicken over time. But let me tell you, this recipe is simple ad DIVINE!!!
We made this tonight! Well... actually I had some hw to catch up on so Martin made it. Let's just say he didn't read the directions (LOL) and put in about 1/4 cup of cheese instead of 1 cup+. And he didn't measure out the garlic. The sauce looked great but when I went to taste it.... not so much. Poor Martin, he tried! Gotta give him credit for that! Luckily we were able to fix it up by adding milk, lots of salt & pepper and some extra parmesan cheese. We'll have to try this one again (with the directions!) wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
This is SO great! I spent 6 months in a culinary school in Italy, so I'm a total pasta fiend and I love a good recipie, and have lots to share.

Here's one of my favorites: quick, easy, relatively healthy...

Orechiette - as much as you want to make
Broccoli - the tops are best, but the stock works well too - as much as you want to add
2 cloves of garlic - chopped
a healthy squeeze of anchovy past (probably 1/2 to 1 teaspoon)
3-5 Tablespoons of olive oil
a pinch of red pepper flakes
a pinch of salt
grated (not shredded) parmesan cheese

Boil water in a big pan - a good gallon or so. When its boiling, add the orrichette and set a timer for 6 minutes. Get everything else ready to go in the meantime.

When the timer goes off, put the broccoli in the water - you're going to cook it at the same time as finishing the pasta. Four minutes later, pour the whole shebang into a colander. Save a bit of the water you used to boil the pasta for later.

Put the pan back on the stove and put in the olive oil. When its hot, add the garlic and red pepper flakes, salt and anchovy. Stir it around a bit until the garlic toasts a bit - maybe 2 minutes. Put the pasta and broccoli back in the pan and toss to coat. Add the pasta water if you need a little more liquid to coat. Add a good amount of parmesan - if I use 1/2 pound of pasta, I use about 1/4 cup parmesan - and toss to mix.

Serve it with additional parmesan. So yummy! I think I'm having it for dinner tonight.
OMG how delicious does that sound? And I'm green with envy that you went to culinary school in Italy....sooooo lucky. It's funny because almost any pasta my Italian family makes starts with olive oil, garlic, and red pepper. Yours sounds great. Don't be afraid to share more recipes, I'm always on the hunt for pasta variations...yum!