Sand Ceremony

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Alipires1

• 298 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:40 AM

I think I get the whole sand ceremony thing. It is like a unity candle, right? I like it either way.

Where did you get the sand from though? Did you bring it with you because that is pretty heavy? Also how do you get them back without shifting?

Has anyone tried sealing the top with wax? I thought that might keep it tight and sealed.

Also are there any Palace(Adventura?, Moon?, etc.) brides who have done this?

#2 foxytv

• VIP Member
    • 7,740 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:05 AM

You can just do a Googe search for sand ceremony and tons of different purchase options will show up. You can buy colored sand to match your wedding colors and bring it with you. You don't need a lot of sand, just enough to fill the sand ceremony vase.

#3 AmyFled

• 100 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:10 AM

I'd bet you could just go to a craft store or someplace that has candle making stuff and you'd find all different colors of sand. I am doing the unity sand thing and I'll probably go to Hobby Lobby for mine, they have unique (but also cheap) vases to pour the sand into also!

#4 Alipires1

• 298 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:18 AM

How about sealing it though? If you do a top that is small enough for a cork you need a funnel to pour the sand.

#5 starchild

• Moderators
          • 26,161 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

I think they sell bottles with tops for this purpose? I'm a bad sand ceremony bride....they got our sand off the beach, made a funnel out of a leaf, and the sand was recycled back into the beach after the ceremony.

If you want to save it, or make it cool with colored sand, check your craft stores for sure.

#6 BeachBride82

• 51 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

I bought:

Weddingstar Canada: Nesting Unity Sand Ceremony Set

(it's a Canadian site, but they do have a US site as well)

and ordered one color of sand (in my fiance's favorite color) from the same company. I'm planning on using sand from the beach as my second color (hopefully I can get through customs!). I took a look at some arts and crafts stores in my area and couldn't find the color of sand I was looking for--this company has several colors to choose from.

The set came with a foam stopper for the center vase (when we return home, I will look into sealing it with wax). I'm happy with how the vases look (we had our names, wedding date and location etched on the center vase). They came packaged very well and I think that the main vase will hold up during our return (I'll just keep it upright in my carry-on and hopefully it won't mix too much).

There is also a new vase set on their site: Weddingstar Canada: Heart Shaped Unity Sand Ceremony Set

Hope this helps!

#7 Saraha

• 2,597 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

I was going to order the same exact set. But also didnt know what to do about traveling purposes. I know that you do have to be careful because they dont let you bring back International sand. I have no idea how they would really know, but just in case.

#8 Birdie07

• 1,218 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

We did a sand ceremony. I bought 3 glass containers at World Market. We packed them and a bunch of sand we bought a michaels. We also got a cork to put in the top of the vase. After the wedding I filled the rest of the container with sand and put the cork in. I then put a ziploc bag over the top and secured with a rubber band. I put that in my carry on to keep it upright. I did have to lay it down on the plane. But the sand didn't shift really. It did settle so it looks like less sand but is still the same design we poured in it. Security did ask what was in my bag and I told them it was a vase from my wedding. They didn't look at it or take it out ever. I haven't sealed it with wax yet but I might soon so it has no chance to spill.

#9 Ashleigh

• 83 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:58 PM

I got my sand from moonglowcandles.net.

the containers have lids and they said the sand when poured into the largest goes to the very top. (when two colors are used...

#10 AmyFled

• 100 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:55 AM

I asked my travel agent about bringing sand for my sand ceremony. She said there will be no problem bringing it into the country or out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users