Electronic Litter Boxes?

~Melissa~

My cats are very prissy - I have to clean the boxes (2) every other day. If I am gone or forget and skip a day in the routine they freak out and doo-doo on the floor right by the box. I bought a Littermaid but the sound scared them both to death! I was afraid that they wouldn't do their business and get sick, so I took it back. Dang high maintenance cats, lol!

I had a littermaid self cleaning box when I was traveling a lot. It worked great. The first few days, you leave it unplugged so that kitty can get used to it. Only problem is if there is too much litter or the kitty "waste product" is too large and the rake can't power it in to the container. It tries 5 times and then it quits until you come scoop and unplug/replug. Other than that it worked out pretty well. I stopped using it because it was just so large. And the structure for the cover tent broke.

My Littermaid just went out in the trash tonight after being broken for months! It worked great for awhile, then something went goofy with the cord (it was so long ago now, that I can't remember exactly). Something like the cord got off the track, and even my DH (who is a mechanic), couldn't take the thing apart and get it to work again. The company was no help~ e-mailed them, and they sent directions that made NO SENSE! I've been using it all this time as a regular litterbox, thinking after spending that much on the damn thing, it might "magically" fix itself. No such luck~ bought 2 $5.98boxes at Wal-Mart and finally pitched the Littermaid!

Amy

oh yeah, forgot to mention: one of our litterboxes has the hood with the flap door...the other is just a regular tupperware from walmart (the big, deep rectangular ones). fi cut a hole in the top, and put window edging on the edges of the hole, making it a top-in litter box. they sell these at pet stores, but they are 30 for the same thing! top-in boxes dont smell as much and leave less dust tracking.

Thanks for the link Tammi on the Omega. I don't know what we're going to do about this litter box issue. I really want to get the littermiad but it's alot of money especially if it doens't fix the problem? Ya know - I dont think we could take it back exactly.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll keep you all posted on what we do.

• 3 weeks later...

****UPDATE:

we wanted to try the 2 litter boxes first before we bought the littermaid, so we bought a second box. She's NEVER used the second box BUT there hasn't been one accident since we got the 2nd box.

We put a new mat under the original litterbox and maybe that has something to do with it? Could it be she didn't like the feel of the hardwood on her paws?

I don't know but cats are weird and thank goodness I don't have to deal with kitty poop on the floor daily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxytv View Post
Has anyone tried the Omega Paw Self Cleaning Litter Box? You roll it back and forth and it collects the waste.

Here's a link. It's way more affordable then the electronic ones. I think I might try this. It's gotten great reviews as well.

Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box: Omega Paw Self Cleaning Litter Boxes at PETCO

Thanks for the link Tami. I just read the first review dated 2/26.. that lady has 10 cats!!! Geesh! just thought that was funny. I always think about that Got Milk commercial where the old cat lady was going to feed her cats powdered milk and they turned on her.