Newbie Just engaged Thanksgiving!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jenbnyc74

Jenbnyc74
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:53 PM

Hi all,

My fiance popped the question Thanksgiving night! woo hoo :) anyway...we already know that we want to have a destination wedding but i am overwhelmed with choices in venue. We live in New York as well as the majority of our families, so we are trying to find caribbean locations with non-stop flights. We are thinking the summer/fall of 2007 so I know that I have to get on this quick!

Does anyone have any thought on the Bahamas or Aruba? The best months weather-wise? I can't imagine it raining on my beach wedding day!

Thanks, Jenn

#2 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,659 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:57 PM

welcome to the forum jen!! and congratulations on the engagement...that is a great time to propose.

regarding caibbean, the weather is always warm but be careful of hurrican season...

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#3 TammyB

TammyB
    • 10,630 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:02 PM

Welcome to the board. Not sure on the locations you choose but hopefully the other girls will be able to help.

#4 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 24,768 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:15 PM

Congratulations! And welcome. I LOVE the caribbean, but since we plan on honeymooning in Hawaii - we chose Mexico.

I don't know if there are direct flights - but have you ever been to St. Kitts - beautiful! I was there in Jan. 2006 - and loved it.

It sounds like you're flexible with dates - I'd suggest finding you're "dream" location and then seeing what they have available.

#5 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 6,996 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

Congratulations on your engagement! I'm a Cabo bride, so not familiar with Caribbean locations, but I'm sure you'll find some help on here!
          Welcome to the forum!

#6 JENGONDA9

JENGONDA9
          • 163 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:59 PM

Hi Jenn and welcome! I went on a DW cruise from Cocoa Beach to the Bahamas and the one thing I willl say about it is that the Bahamas are not really known for sandy beaches. Their wedding ceremony was at Greycliff Gardens in Nassau, which was absolutely drop dead gorgeous, but not beachy.

I don't know much about the rest of the Caribbean. Have fun planning!
            Jen & Aaron
            January 13, 2007

#7 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
            • VIP Member
            • 11,403 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:07 PM

Congrats on your engagement! It would be very easy for east coasters to get to many of the larger Carribbean Islands with direct flights (Jamaica, DR). Aruba is a much smaller island & I imagine requires some island hopping to get there. The Bahamas would be super easy for you I think - there are direct flights into Freeport & Nassau.

#8 Jackie

Jackie
              • 2,290 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

Congrats and Welcome!

Dont know anything about the bahamas but have heard great things about Aruba.

Before I found this forum and decided that the Riviera Maya was more economical for us I was seriously considering Aruba!

1. Aruba lies under the huricane belt so huricanes are not a threat and they rarely even have rainy days.

2. For some reason around my area anyways Aruba is hands down the place that everyone vacations to when going to the carribean. It comes highly recomended.

3. the BUCUTI BEACH RESORT, is stunning. My friend hooneymooned there and to this day wont stop raveing about it. And if we could afford it this would probably be on our top choice of Carribean resort wedding locations.

4. The DIVI (ALL INCLUSIVE LOW RISE) also comes highly recomended and is a little less expensive than the high rise all inclusives and also a little less windy from what I have heard.

5. The high rise section (Palm beach, Arashi beach) has many resorts to choose from including both All inclusive and Non all inclusive.

Hope this helps a little good luck!

The only negative thing I have heard about Aruba is the wind factor is pretty high.

One last thought, Ofcourse this is just hearsay from friends that travel to and from Aruba but we fly out of Boston and supposedly the non stop flights are on Saturdays. I have never actually looked into this but just wanted to throw that out there.
                My Dreams Cabo Wedding Review
                http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t22576

#9 Jenbnyc74

Jenbnyc74
                • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:50 AM

Thanks to everyone who has replied! I really appreciate the insight :)

#10 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 3,754 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:33 PM

Congrats and Welcome!

I can't dont have any info on those two places. The only part of the carribean I've visited is Puerto Rico. It was beautiful!

But I noticed we haven't developed an area for that yet. Oh well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users