Bridesmaid etiquette for DW

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 starchild

• Moderators
  • 26,161 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by nylalany
    My question is though, do bridesmaids NEED bouquets? Are there other options?
    Not if you ask me....only MOH and I had bouquets. Two reasons - first because that was a few hundred dollars I was able to cut out, and second because our wedding was in a jungle full of foliage. We didn't feel it was necessary. They didn't carry anything, just locked arms with the GM who walked with them.

And I agree to have as many special people in your wedding as you want to, no rules. We planned on 6 and 6 which turned out to be 5 and 4....one GM volunteered to walk with 2 girls and it worked out fine :P

#12 DanielleNDerek

• VIP Member
    • 18,452 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:41 AM

I'm only having two but that was by choice. I wanted it small. Derek's sister was married in Riviera Maya about two years ago and she had 6. I say, choose how many you want.
      ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
      Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
      Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#13 FutureMrs.L

• 127 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:04 PM

Instead of a whole bouquet you can do just 3 flowers. That is what my sister did. She carried a nice sized bouquet and the 5 of us that were in the wedding carried 3 gerber daisys. It turned out nice and they did not charge her for a bouqet instead I think she paid about $5 USD for each set of gerber daisys.

#14 Michelle&Steve

• 208 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:07 PM

i think you can do whatever you want.. its your wedding, so you make the rules. my fiance and I both have big families and lots of friends. we have 9 bridesmaids and 9 GM.. so its a lil insane.. but what the hell.. itll be a good time. it is seeming to get expensive though with 9 boquets, getting all their hair and makeup done.. we'll see how it goes
          "Woohoo!! Time to get married!

86 booked so far!!!http://tickers.Ticke....9414/event.png

#15 foxytv

• VIP Member
          • 7,740 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

no rules. I had 5 BM initially. One recently dropped out. But FH had only 4 GM and it didn't matter to us, but now the numbers evened out. lol.

Fewer BM's equal less stress though as far as agreement, etc.

I have one friend I wish I asked to be a BM, but instead I'm having her help me with other stuff but still inviting her and her hubby to the rehearsal dinner and giving her the same gift as a BM.

#16 jamisoncollette

• 1,257 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

I am having one attendant and my daughter, Fi has three guys. Again, no rules! As for the asking, we both sent emails! I know lame. I followed up with a note and a present that included coconut body butter from The Body Shop and a sarong.

#17 MelissaH

• 1,724 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:40 PM

I agree - no rules!

I mean look at what's her face from the Bachelorette...she had like 30! (although it was all paid for so who cares right? haha)

As for the flowers...my MOH only had a couple of flowers and it looked great (you can sort of see them here [brutal picture aaah!] http://i128.photobuc....ding/wed27.jpg)

#18 Yari

• VIP Member
                • 10,928 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by kitcatkit
                  Maybe a bit off topic but how did you girls ask your bridesmaid. Also I have read that etiquette for DW is that you should pay for their trip are you doing that?
                  There are all sorts of way you can ask. I just asked mine over the phone right after I got engaged cause I was so excited. They have very cute cards that ask people to. Oh, there was a thread yesterday (I think) that showed very cute ask cards...they were a DIY.

As for etiquette, I've read in quite a few books that it really is up to and your budget. The Knot destination wedding book says the bride and groom should be for lodging onlly.

I however was in a destination wedding a few years ago and I paid for my whole trip including the dress.

It really depends on you.

#19 Alyssa

• 11,793 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

follow your heart and don't make your friends into numbers - who cares what anyone else thinks?!?

i am having 7 on my side and we are having a DW in Hawaii - we have 40 people total coming and FI and i keep joking that half of them will be standing up for us :)

#20 boscobel

• VIP Member
                    • 24,213 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

I have 7 girls, but only 3 that are coming to Jamaica. Matt's men are still being worked out, he is supposed to have 6, but we think some might not make it.

I asked by making "will you be my..." cards. they were super-cute! I made a different one for each girl that woudl suit her and I was really proud of them. I should ask them to take pics for me. Oh, that also worked really well fo rme cuz I asked everyone around last V-day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users