Sign in to follow this  
pryzeless

Difficult EDR and Excellence site visit

Our site visit went boderline terrible, I am not sure if we are still having a destination wedding. Here is a short recap:

Our layover in Miami from NYC was late so we had to RUN to the connection. The flight was already boarded but we made it on. However, our luggage did not. When we arrived in Cancun we discovered our luggage was missing. We made a report and was told we will get it that night. I turned around to find abour 45 people waiting to also make a luggage complaint.

When we got our luggage the next morning, we discovered items stolen from us. It is a very violating feeling to know that someone went Christmas shopping by sorting thru our personal items. Pants, shirt, socks, a razor and blades etc. stolen.

The short version is as of yet, American has done NOTHING for us but give us the run around. I will not fly American again and I advise everyone to not use them.

It took a while but we recovered from this. It did leave a black cloud over the whole DW concept and Mexico as a choice. How can we promise 45 people to come with us and that it would be safehuh.gif?

El Dorado Royale is a great resort and it would be the one we pick. It has everything we want. Great rooms choices, a great over-all feel. The beaches are not the best but useable. The food was decent as well. This resort is very big, 20 minute walk from end to end.

Excellence is also nice. It has a prettier hotel, rooms and beach and a great wedding coorinador but the wedding locations are not what we are looking for. It is also more of a hotel than a resort. It also had a more party vibe. But that is not what we are looking for.

If anyone has questions or need pictures, ask because I took a photo of almost every inch of the place.

I just hope we can overcome this black cloud and still have a DW.

BTW

The wedding coordinator told me the bathrooms by Gazebo 55 are "just a 2 minute walk" However, the only ones that I did see are the ones behind Fuentes which is longer than 2 minutes unless you were running to get there.

So sorry you had a bad flight experience! I have had some very nice things stolen out of my luggage during an extended layover in Dallas on my way from St. Louis to L.A. once... I wouldn't associate it with Mexico, I think sometimes there are just some bad seeds they hire, and I'm sure the holiday season sees more of this. I understand, it put a huge damper on my time in L.A. because I had something very sentimental stolen from me... but you can't let this ruin your dream of a DW! I bet the chances are slim to none that would happen again on flights down to your wedding.

Thanks for the info on EDR... I would LOVE to see all of your EDR pics, I'll PM you with my e-mail address.

Cheer up, I'm sure things will be fine for a DW... they have been for SO MANY other brides on this forum! smile03.gif

i understand your disappointment and frustration but dont let this one experience turn you off of a mexico wedding. im in and out of mexico about 6-7xs a year and have never had anything stolen or lost. (of course now that ive said that i will be back here in january after katies wedding probably telling you about what was stolen out of my suitcase - haha!)

I'm with the others, it's not a Mexico problem (although I can see why it would seem so if it only happened to you there). It may be an American Airlines problem if anything. I hope you still decide on a DW, you won't regret it :o)

I'm with the others-- don't let this experience completely turn you off to a DW... I was watching 60 minutes earlier this week and meant to ask this on this forum.. They had a special about things being stolen out of luggage and to be careful around the holidays ,etc...

Is there a company or a place where you can buy locks for your suitcases? I know that some luggage comes with the the lock, but was wondering if you could buy small locks for your luggage - any suggestions?

Yup, I'm just echoing... but it's VERY possible that your items were stolen in New York or Miami. Don't let that deter you from Mexico. I would suggest finding a nonstop flight if you are very worried about losing your luggage again. Perhaps chose a destination where that is possible.

There is also a service in which you can ship your luggage directly to your destination....I forget what it is called, maybe someone can chime in? It might be kind of expensive but worth it. That way, you don't have to worry about checking luggage and dragging it around everywhere.

ditto what everyone else said! i wouldn't let this experience ruin your thoughts on Mexico, or even AA. unfortunately some jackasses somewhere along the way (could have been anyone, airline employee or not) stole from you. i've been to Mexico numerous times and have NEVER had anything stolen from me. it really sucks that this happened to you - but don't let it ruin your hopes of having a great DW!