Photo

"Hand Cancelling" for invitations ...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 coreyphil

coreyphil
  • 497 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

I may be the only one who has never heard of this, but I thought it was nifty so I thought I'd share. I just got my invitations and my friend who made them told me to make sure that I requested "hand canceling." She said that since they would most likely be $0.55 postage because of the weight, the hand processing was free. This way they won't go through the machine and get smushed or dirty. Instead, they are hand stamped and processed.

So - for all of you who have worked so hard on your own invitations or spent hours deciding on the perfect ones to order ... here's a way to hopefully ensure they arrive beautifully! And, it's free!

#2 boscobel

boscobel
    • VIP Member
    • 24,213 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

Good to know! I never heard that before...

#3 PaulaV

PaulaV
      • VIP Member
      • 2,813 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

I asked about this when I sent mine a few weeks ago and they said that even if they are hand canceled, they get sorted through the machines which would have defeated my purpose - some ink smearing - don't ask.

Maybe it was specific to our PO or they were not in the mood to hand cancel them :)

#4 calyx6

calyx6
        • 160 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

Yup. I second that last post. Even if your particular post office hand cancels the stamps, there is nothing in the system that tells the sorting stations not to handle your mail. Aka, the beautiful invites will go through the rollers and automated machinery even if they are hand cancelled.

-V-
          Tulum - November 3, 2007

#5 coreyphil

coreyphil
          • 497 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by PaulaV
            I asked about this when I sent mine a few weeks ago and they said that even if they are hand canceled, they get sorted through the machines which would have defeated my purpose - some ink smearing - don't ask.

Maybe it was specific to our PO or they were not in the mood to hand cancel them :)
            Oh! That make me sad! Maybe our post office will be in a holiday mood (doubtful considering how hectic things are for them this time of year!!!). I'll just hope for the best! :)

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

I think that's why square invites require additional postage. They have to be hand canceled because they don't fit in the machine.

#7 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
              • 26,161 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

I asked for hand cancelling and the postal lady said "sure". That was that, I have no idea how they arrived since I didn't send myself one.

#8 coreyphil

coreyphil
                • 497 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

hmmm ... maybe at best it is just one LESS time it gets rolled through machines!

#9 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                  • 26,161 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:11 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by coreyphil
                    hmmm ... maybe at best it is just one LESS time it gets rolled through machines!
                    True, it can't hurt :o)

#10 Martha

Martha
                    • VIP Member
                    • 3,906 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:46 AM

My best friend is a wedding planner and has the PO hand cancel all the invites she sends out for her brides...so she told me to do the same for our STDs.

A few times she has hand cancelled invites herself because the PO workers give her a hard time. She just asks for the red stamp and stamps them herself.

I rec'd her STD and invite when she got married last year and they were fine...not run through a machine or anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users