Fitness New Years Resolutions

You all sound like you have great resolutions. I too would like to lose about 15lbs. If this wedding doesnt help me lose weight than nothing will haha! My goal is to be able to run a half marathon in march, on track so far but we will see Good luck to all of you!!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You girls are so good! I feel like I just totally don't have time, except on the weekends, to work out right now. I know, what a lame excuse. I lost about 10 lbs when we first moved about 4 months ago because I wasn't working & could work out every day. Now that I'm working I suck.

I have had AMAZING results with kick boxing and pilates in the past. And I love yoga for chilling me out too.

I'm joining the gym which is called the Life Center through our hospital system. It's just a mile up the road and is huge and awesome. I am also purchasing a personal trainer package. Because of my schedule I will not use the same trainer each time, most likely one during the week and another on weekends -- but they say that's good to switch it up and get different strategies. I will use a trainer 2-3x per week and do just cardio probably 2 times a week. It's more of a wedding resolution for me than a NY resolution but I hope to make it a habit.

i've resolved to lose the 25lbs that i put on in law school. for three years, all i did was study and eat - hence the 25lbs. i really hope that i can do it in about 4.5 months.

my plan is to basically cut out bad foods - nothing fried, kick the diet coke habit, more greens, less cheese and ranch dressing! also, i'm going to kick the gym workouts up to 4 - hopefully 5 days per week. i go now, but only about 1 or 2 times a week. to keep from getting bored, i'm going to take a kickboxing class and a spinning class to break up the monotony.

i wish i was a runner ... that is free, and you don't have to travel to a gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauraw View Post
my best advice is that if you can afford to get a personal trainer (often you can do a "group rate" for two people and that way you and FI can work out together with the trainer) then do it. it's some of the best money i've ever spent. clearing out your junk food will only be a temporary fix. eventually you'll be dying for a taste of potato chips or something and will give in. trust me i know! if you have a trainer teaching you the proper way to exercise, its a lot easier to do it right. even if you only see the trainer every other week, it helps keep you motivated. and if you make a bad food choice, you know you just need to work extra hard, which will motivate you to make less bad choices (hopefully).

also, if youre like me and tend to keep extra weight mostly in the hips and tummy, your best bet is doing lots of cardio. i run on the treadmill for about 2.5 miles 2-3 times per week on average on my own and it helps me. if you dont like running, the elliptical is great and so is an exercise bike (regular bike, but if you can do spinning, thats great too!). strength training in addition to the cardio will definitely get you fit. ooh also i notice that doing lunges across a room is great for my legs! it sucks while youre doing it, but the results will make you happy. there's a gym in my condo building, so if i'm not feeling like running, i will go watch desp. housewives or some other show my FI hates watching and just walk at 3.5 mph for the entire hour. sometimes i'll rev it up and run a bit during the commercials.

as for diet, try to avoid cooking with salt and bad fat as much as possible (a little EVOO now and then is okay if you're not using it to fry stuff). lots of green veggies are good. my trainer gave me tons of nutritional info when i started with him, and i lost 25 pounds in 4 months following a healthy eating plan and exercising 4x a week.
So I went to my free training session and i purchased a trainer for a year!! I am having a little buyers remorse and it doesn't help that FI thinks I was just stupid for spending the money...but maybe I got screwed..but $100 mo. was worth it to me to be able to finally learn how to exercise right and not just go do cardio because I didn't know how to do anything else right. I know that strength training plays a huge part and previously I would barely do it because I just wasn't sure what to do...

So I am going this morning for my first appt to get measured...etc...

I'm excited...

I just scheduled my "Quick Start" session at the gym for tomorrow at 2pm. A trainer will work with me for an hour to show me the different equipment (I know how to use most but this gym has a lot of different stuff ... and the weights on most of the static equipment work differently).

Then, tomorrow I will sign up for my free personal training session ... and plan to purchase a 10 session package (1 hour each). It's $370 for 10 sessions. I will do those now I think 2x/week (I weekday and 1 weekend) and go in and do serious cardio for 1 hour on at least 2-3 other days.

I just scheduled my "Quick Start" session at the gym for tomorrow at 2pm. A trainer will work with me for an hour to show me the different equipment (I know how to use most but this gym has a lot of different stuff ... and the weights on most of the static equipment work differently).

Then, tomorrow I will sign up for my free personal training session ... and plan to purchase a 10 session package (1 hour each). It's $370 for 10 sessions. I will do those now I think 2x/week (I weekday and 1 weekend) and go in and do serious cardio for 1 hour on at least 2-3 other days.