Fitness New Years Resolutions

So me and my FI are of course doing the whole eat healthy and exercise New Years Resolution to get ready for our wedding. We are trying to start early so maybe it will be easier. So his idea is on Jan 2nd go through our cabinets and fridge and throw out all of our junk food. And when tax season is over (I work in tax office and work about 75hrs a week), we are going to join the gym together and go together. Was wondering what Health/Fitness/Diet New Years Resolutions you girls have and steps you are going to take to achieve them.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt say my FI and I set a Fitness New Years Resolution, but we did join the YMCA yesterday and are planning to start utilizing their facilities this afternoon! Yikes (I havent worked out in a looong time) smile41.gif

I have the hardest time losing any substanial weight. I can only manage to lose about 4 or 5 lbs!!! I like to say I'm on the 'Slim Slow' diet. lol

With that said, we are planning, not just for the New Year, but overall, just to start living a healthier lifestyle. smile29.gif

my best advice is that if you can afford to get a personal trainer (often you can do a "group rate" for two people and that way you and FI can work out together with the trainer) then do it. it's some of the best money i've ever spent. clearing out your junk food will only be a temporary fix. eventually you'll be dying for a taste of potato chips or something and will give in. trust me i know! if you have a trainer teaching you the proper way to exercise, its a lot easier to do it right. even if you only see the trainer every other week, it helps keep you motivated. and if you make a bad food choice, you know you just need to work extra hard, which will motivate you to make less bad choices (hopefully).

also, if youre like me and tend to keep extra weight mostly in the hips and tummy, your best bet is doing lots of cardio. i run on the treadmill for about 2.5 miles 2-3 times per week on average on my own and it helps me. if you dont like running, the elliptical is great and so is an exercise bike (regular bike, but if you can do spinning, thats great too!). strength training in addition to the cardio will definitely get you fit. ooh also i notice that doing lunges across a room is great for my legs! it sucks while youre doing it, but the results will make you happy. there's a gym in my condo building, so if i'm not feeling like running, i will go watch desp. housewives or some other show my FI hates watching and just walk at 3.5 mph for the entire hour. sometimes i'll rev it up and run a bit during the commercials.

as for diet, try to avoid cooking with salt and bad fat as much as possible (a little EVOO now and then is okay if you're not using it to fry stuff). lots of green veggies are good. my trainer gave me tons of nutritional info when i started with him, and i lost 25 pounds in 4 months following a healthy eating plan and exercising 4x a week.

Maura - the trainer is a very good idea. I always thought as trainers being mean and intimidating. but i've never actually had one. i think I just got the idea of them being like that from a Friends episode and it stuck with me. But sounds like the trainer really worked for you 25lbs in 4 months is really good.

the junk food in my house is more for my fiancee than me, but I was happy that he actually wants to get rid of it. I've been trying to convince him for the past year that we should really eat better and exercise more. About 3 months I did start eating a lot healthier (the past 3 weeks havent been doing great with the holiday season) and running on the elipitical regularly. But now he kind of just shrugged me off about chaning the way we eat.

The first year that we lived together I gained 25lbs. Just from the change in what we have for dinner. He likes things with sauces and extra cheeses. And my mom never cooked like that, my body can't handle all that bad stuff. I have the motivation of looking good in my wedding dress but I really want to change the way we eat and live. Sorry this is so long but i'm excited about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a Bally's member for about 9 years, but this year I will actually go more than 2-3 times a year. I need to lose weight-seriously this time! My FI also just bought me the Dancing with the Stars Dance Pad video game for the Playstation. I did it last night and actually worked up a sweat. My cousin lost a bunch of weight with the Dance Revolution one so I hope I will have the same results. I guess when you are a couch potato any kind of movement helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNDerek View Post
Maura - the trainer is a very good idea. I always thought as trainers being mean and intimidating. but i've never actually had one. i think I just got the idea of them being like that from a Friends episode and it stuck with me. But sounds like the trainer really worked for you 25lbs in 4 months is really good.

The first year that we lived together I gained 25lbs. Just from the change in what we have for dinner. He likes things with sauces and extra cheeses. And my mom never cooked like that, my body can't handle all that bad stuff. I have the motivation of looking good in my wedding dress but I really want to change the way we eat and live. Sorry this is so long but i'm excited about it.
Danielle, my trainer is SO nice. My Bally's membership expires at the end of this month and my trainer said he was willing to keep working with me for $50 a session (which is cheaper than I currently pay!) AND he will come train me at my gym in my condo building!!! I said I didnt want to renew my membership at Ballys because it seemed like a dumb expense to me when we have a nice gym in our building. Dont get me wrong though, if you want to lose as much as I did, you have to work really hard. I was working out no less than 4 days a week when I lost all that weight.

And I totally can identify with you on the thing about your FI liking things with sauces. I gained about 10 pounds when we moved in together from that too. I had to sadly cut most cheese out of my diet or eat only the fat free kind because I was getting fat again. My FI doesnt work out because he's a skinny minny and doesn't have to, so eating right and working out are things I do that he doesnt really see value in because he doesnt have to do them. I am determined to lose at least one more dress size before my wedding in august though!!!!

good luck, last year I had about 6 months before my wedding and so I joined weight watchers and lost 10 lbs by March, I stopped going just because I was super busy and thankfully didn't gain any of it back before the wedding. I am sure I will be doing this in 2009 after the baby is born

• 3 weeks later...

Well.... my wedding is in less than 6 weeks, AAAGH!!! Last year I lost about 13 pounds but in December there were way too many tempting treats around and I put 5 lbs back on. sad.gif SO, I am now SUPER motivated to lose 10 pounds before the plane flies to Jamaica! I know I can lose the 5 I just put on pretty easily, but it's those last stubborn 5 after that which will be tricky!

I've thrown out all the Christmas treats and will just be snacking on yogurt and fruit. I'm recording my calories and my fitness using Sparkpeople, and I plan on doing weights at least 3 times a week and cardio at LEAST 3 times a week. I have an elliptical trainer at home so I actually aim to do it each morning for at least 15 mins, plus more cardio at the gym after work. Wish me luck!!

Well I joined the Gym last week and had an appointment with the trainer (3 free sessions) last friday but haven't gone yet and had to cancel the appointment because I got sick. sad.gif

So I just called today to reschedule my appt for tomorrow night...I ate decent today and I will try hard to eat decent the rest of this week and then I want to see what the trainer says I should be eating and go grocery shopping this weekend and then monday it's hardcore eat right and exercise like a mad women!

I want to lose 30 lbs by the wedding in less than 5 months..but I will settle for 20 but will not be happy with less than that!!!!