how long did you book your photographer for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by memz View Post
Should I take the other package and get her for 3 hours instead??
Yes, I would recommend having her there for 3 hours. If you weren't doing a TTD session, two would probably be enough. However, since you're having a TTD session, you will want to allow enough time to make sure you don't have to rush through it.

Best wishes,
Tod

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I normally don't recommend under 6 hours of coverage. With my experience, time on the wedding day goes SO much faster than you'd expect, and things can begin to feel rushed if there's less than that. The only time I would go with less time is if there's no formal reception.

Also, as a quick side note: If you have an awesome photographer, some of the best images are captured later in reception when everyone is on the dance floor having a blast! It's not even comparable to guest images. So if you want to remember what an amazing time you and your guests had, I would definitely recommend having your photographer there to capture it all.

8-10 hours is much better for capturing all the special moments of the day. From the getting ready and detail shots, to the ceremony, formals and fun wedding party shots, romantics, and reception... You're putting a LOT into planning and making your once-in-a-life-time celebration come together. I can pretty much guarantee a couple years from now you wont be thinking about the little extra put towards capturing it properly. But you will have beautiful images to show off and look back on!

I might sound a little biased being a photographer myself, but it makes me so sad when couples come to me after the wedding (either to photograph their trash the dress or boudoir, or as friends) and mention that as their one regret. Obviously only you can determine what's right for you, but if you're on the edge it's usually better to add the extra time and have no regrets.

Wow, that's wordy, lol. Really hope it helps someone out!

From a photographer's point of view, the longer the better...more time means more photo opportunities.

But to be more objective, i think the "getting ready" shots are great to have, of course the ceremony and a little session with the bride and groom...Then it is about getting the fun moments between family and friends, for my wedding, I was glad to have a photographer until the end of the night to document people getting crazy and having fun on the dance floor after a few drinks...

When I got married, I was on a very tight budget. But I had a small advantage, I had a very small wedding, so we only hired our photographer for 3 hours. We did a "first look", ceremony, family/friends and then some beach shots. It worked out find for us, but looking back I wish I would have done the TTD photos.

I'm hiring my photographer for 4 hours the day of the wedding - I will just be having a small reception dinner so I didn't feel like full coverage for the reception was needed. The day before the wedding, we will also have a two hour shoot which will be some of our beach shots, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle08 View Post
Just curious....How long did your pics of just you two take? I'm only getting the photographer for 3 hrs (maybe 4) and wondering if an hour is enough time to give for pics of FI and I (we will probably do them before the ceremony) and then maybe the 45 min cocktail we could take a couple sunset and family and friend pics?? I know most people are having their photographer for longer...but FI really hates pics and isn't really into all those posed pictures and frankly neither am I. I don't have the patience...so I just want a few and then alot more of us in action being natural (i think is called candid?).
Here are some things that you might consider that may help you to decide. I will list them first and then talk more at length underneath.

1. Budget
2. Your photographer's recommendation
3. After Products
4. How important are photos
5. Travel time

1.) Obviously, the budget (that 'b' word that everyone loves) plays a huge part in how many hours you decide to book for your photographer. Even the most wealthy have a limit. You can only afford what you can afford. But with good communication with your photographer they can help you to make the most of your package.

2.) Communicate, communicate, communicate with your photographer. Do not go simply on what everyone here is telling you. No two photographers shoot in the same manor or style. What can be done in a half hour by one photographers is not the same as another photographer. There are other factors too, for example, how large is the wedding party, the number of guests and what you what for after products (see more below). Your photographer knows best about what h/she can do in a set amount of time. No one here can tell you that for sure. Your wedding and expectations are entirely different than anyone else. Please, talk with your photographer make it a joint brainstorming production. One of the worst things you can do when dealing with a creative vendor like the photographer, is to treat them like a vendor. The more your photographer is in tune with your wants the more successful the creative results will be.

3.) What do you want in the way of products after the wedding? This can have a huge effect on the amount of time that you hire a photographer for. Do you only want a few enlargements to decorate your home with, will you be scrap booking your own album, maybe using a photo on your thank yous. In this case a couple hours will be plenty. If you want an album that will tell the experience of your entire event, then how much of that story do you want to include in your album, will determine how many hours you will need for the coverage. If you are going to a hair saloon either on the resort property or off site, do you want this in your album? What about pre-dress photos, the dress, shoes, flowers and other details before you even start to get into the dress? What about the guys will they be doing something in the morning, a round of golf, drinks at the pool or some other fun activity like jet skiing, if so do you want this in the album? Obviously the ceremony, then do you want or need to cover the reception? If so, how deep into the reception and are you doing any planned activities that you want covered? Full day coverages to create an album that tells the story for me are no less than eight hours, ten hours works better but you may need more if travel is involved or special activities are planed at or near the end of the reception. Again, talk this over with your photographer.

4.) How important are the photos to you? Only you can answer this. Are family events big in your family? Are you planning a family? Sharing your wedding day photos with your daughter, how can you put a price tag on that?

5.) Never under estimate travel time. Couples tell me all the time that it is only twenty minutes to the church, but they have never gotten into and out of a limo in a wedding dress before. Like last Saturday, it's 25-30 minutes to the reception, wrong, it was 45 minutes. Be realistic, for one limos generally travel at much slower speeds than you would in your Vet. So get real times, this can have a huge impact on what can be done if you do not have real times. In most of the cases here on this board everything is taking place on the resort property. If it is a large resort do not underestimate how long it takes to walk from point A to point B in a wedding dress, walking from your room to the beach can easily take 15 minutes, easily. If you want to go from one location at a large resort to to another location for photos, again it can take 15 minutes to walk there. Factor these things in. For me I can generally do all family photos in 15 minutes, larger families in 20-25. I like to get an hour photographing the bride and groom alone, especially in locations like some of these resorts.

Anyway, just some ideas of thins to think about, I could go on and on. But your best bet is to talk with your photographer as opposed to listening to what others are suggesting.

mark