Trying to pack up my life!

starchild

We're in the process of moving. We moved all the furniture and big stuff to the new place this weekend. Now we are sorting through what has not been boxed up. We have 2 places for a month so there is no rush, but I'm trying not to lag.

St. Vincent de Paul is coming to pick up some furnishings and clothes tomorrow (thanks Melissa!!) but I am trying to get rid of stuff and it's so hard. Things that aren't crucial but I can't let go of easily - like letters, souvenir t-shirts that I'll probably never wear again but got at a special place, etc.

I have this huge wedding planning binder that I'll never use again but don't want to toss out. I have a box of cassette tapes (yeah I'm old) that I've gathered over the decades and can't part with because I know where I got each tape, and that's a memory. The honeymoon banner Dreams put on our door, can't throw that away!

All this little stuff makes for boxes that I probably won't even open until I move again. DH gets rid of everything but I get all sentimental.

Tell me to let go.....what's wrong with me?!?!

i'd tell you to let go - but that means i'd probably have to let go of things like the 2nd place ribbon i got while playing soccer in high school (we took 2nd in sectionals), the cards that paul has bought me over the years (and the actual roses, all dried), and the t-shirt i bought while in Australia.

looks like we're just no help! oh yea - i have most of the rose petals, including the ones he gave me when he proposed. granted, they're sitting somewhere in the basement collecting dust - but hey, i have high hopes that i will do something cute with them someday.

Let it go sister! Purge! You know why? Because when you move all those boxes & shove them in a closet & never seek them out and then have to move the again, you will be pissed! I tried my best to purge before our move, I really did. But somehow I am still running into things that make me say "what the hell did I keep that for?"

i am the total opposite! i get rid of everything... if it doesn't serve a purpose i toss it. it feels good! hah.

maybe you could give yourself like 10 keepsake items to take with you. that way you can pick and choose your favorites and the things you may actually do something with... and the rest- let it go!

I'm not much of a pack-rat, but here's how I figure out when to keep and when to toss: When was the last time you looked at the item? If it were hanging around and you saw it all the time, would you still think of it the same way, or would you eventually think it needs to go?

I keep cards that Frank gives me (because he always writes a song or poem in it for me), but for the stuff from my youth--- I figure if the memory were that great, I wouldn't need the reminder to pull out every once in awhile. :)

me too, maria - i keep cards from fi, but not much else. my fmil and ffil are packrats and i NEVER want any room in my house (even the attic) to look like any room in theirs...so if i keep that in mind, it's easier to throw things out. i used to watch a show on tlc about people who had junk and then had a garage sale...everytime they did a house where the people couldn't part with things, they'd make a collage - either cut up pieces of all of the things and frame it (and hang it, not just stick it in the attic), OR take pics of the things and frame/hang it. let someone else get use out of things that you're not using...and if it's something that someone can't use (like a honeymoon sign) then cut it up and make a collage.

Good advice ladies! In 15 years I don't want to be like the people on Oprah who can't walk through their house because of all the stuff! I'm not that bad but it starts with a few extra boxes, right?

I just made a pile of things I rarely look at and wouldn't need if I were homeless tomorrow and it's pretty big.....so I'm getting somewhere.

A collage is a great idea too. And I do need to purge, it's starting to feel good. Thanks everyone :o)