5 replies to this topic

#1 Edrayb

Edrayb
  • 16 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 16, 2018
  • Wedding Location:RIU Palace Aruba
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:43 AM

Hello fellow To-Be’s. Destination GROOM here and I'd like to to share my ongoing OOT planning details. Hey, why can’t us guys do this stuff too!

I’ve been visiting this site for close to a year now, getting ideas from all you amazing brides (and grooms if you’re out there) in preparation to plan my wedding. I’m happy to say the planning is well under way and going well.

I will post notes and details and pictures about everything this far soon including the invites I created in the right forums. 

To start off though, here is a list of the OOT items in my best-of-the-best list that I've come up with using ideas I've found on this site and my imagination. I have already purchased some of these items and am very excited to tell you the methods I've used and am using to save a large amount of money doing it. This is a long list and some items won’t make the cut.

-Word Puzzle / Sudoku books

-Beach towel clips (Aruba has constant trade winds that feel amazing)

-Deck of cards

-Sand in a bottle souvenir

-First Aid kit

-Pepto, pain med

-Emergen-c 

-Travel mugs bubba keg +  Drinks for dummies book   

-Straws for the mugs

-Odor eliminator

-Guest list

-Sewing kit

-Welcome / Thank you letter

-Map

-Fans

-Gum

-Mints

-Floss sticks (my fiancée is an (ortho) Dental Hygienist

-Key tip holders

-Tums

-Swimsuit bags

-Ear plugs

-Shower sponge

-Sunglasses cleaner

-Bug repellent wipes

-Afterbite

-Pashmina

-Sweet or Savoury snack (on our last vacation, that is how the flight attendant said it and we couldn't stop laughing or get it out of our heads)

-Water guns

-Silicon watch
-Laminated luggage tag

#2 Edrayb

Edrayb
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:48 AM

For the travel mugs, we decided to go with 20oz Bubba Mugs. They are quite pricey but I had a plan for that. We are not going with any specific colours and there are only three that I've seen (plus one with a Canadian flag on it). I have designed a small (Aruba specific) drink guide that we will tie to the handles so that the guests can use their mugs after the wedding without any customization on them.

The mugs are just about $18 at Canadian Tire but they also go on sale regularly for about 40% off. I've heard they can go down to 60% off but I don't want to chance waiting for those sales. I collect a good amount of CT points and I decided to collect as many as possible to buy these mugs. I do my best to make my purchases when there are sales and or extra points days. If you pay attention to the flyers, they also offer 50x points on specific products weekly. If there are things I need or had planned to purchase in the future, I by them at that time.

Canadian Tire also has day where if you spend a certain amount, you get a gift card back. I do some shopping on those days as well. Those cards do have short time limits but I just get the mugs at full price before the card expires. The last one was cool because I bought the mugs right before the card expired and then they went on sale the next week. I took my receipt to CT and they price adjusted. 

I then just hang onto the points until the next Bubba Keg sale which I get alerted to since I have a sales alert setup on my CT app.

At this point, I have 7 Bubba Kegs and they have cost me no cash out of pocket. I still have a bunch of points left and will continue to add to them. Another cool hack to this is my daughter works at CT so I get to use her discount. Add to that, she had a CT credit card so if I'm going to purchase something and only get regular points back, I get her to use her card, I pay her back and she keeps a tally of the points she owes me. They last time we did this I ended up with a $70 savings plus $20 back in points on a bill that would have been $200.

I LOVE saving money :) Points cards can help us all do this for our weddings. 

p.s. I will explain in a later post but if you shop, or can start shopping at Shoppers Drug Mart, you MUST get their app for your phone. It's unbelievable how fast you build up points. The items you can get there for your OOT bag can be a good bit more costly than other places but if you are paying in points, it means no extra cash out your pocket.

#3 Edrayb

Edrayb
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

I purchased the luggage tag kits at Dollarama. They are a great deal at 5 for $1.50. I printed my own inserts using pictures I took during our trip to Aruba.

Since we are handing out our OOT bags in Aruba, I plan to send the luggage tags to our guests before we leave so they can have them filled out and on their bags prior to the trip.

gallery_289154_18306_124084.jpg

#4 Bride2019

Bride2019
  • 8 posts
  • Wedding Date:March 20, 2019
  • Wedding Location:Aruba

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

Looks good!

#5 Edrayb

Edrayb
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:55 AM

The Beach Towel Clips came in from Aliexpress. The clips that are shaped like Flamingos and other shapes are cool but the best price I could find for those was $3.05 a pair. These were $4.76 for 10. I will open the bags and put matched colours together.

I'm going to make a cardboard label for them that says something like "If you like it, Then you better put a Clip on it" in reference to the song "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)"  :) I bet you're singing it in your head right now lol.

gallery_289154_18306_1990.jpg

#6 Edrayb

Edrayb
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

I was looking at all the more known options for bags available to Canada and happened to come across these ones when I was in Len's Mill looking for other stuff. I stared at them for a while, hummed and hawed some more then bought one up to bring home and see if my fiancee would approve. They, we're only 99 cents. My fiancee said they were good once she saw them. The wait for approval was perfect because they went on sale for 50% off, right after that. So I got the rest of the bags for 50 cents each. We are going to tie a custom label to the handle so the bags can be used in the future.

The bags are pretty big, have two handles and the material will work awesome at staying clean with the beach sand. We had a bag with similar material on our site visit and it was perfect. 

The bag in the picture is stuffed with the wedding planning stuff I work on during my lunches at work.

gallery_289154_18306_107269.jpg

Edited by Edrayb, 26 July 2017 - 09:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users