Grand Bahia Tulum Wedding Review - 24.02.2017

Costs

Costs on the Wedding are quite complicated! So many options and different things you can add so let me give you some key points about mine and what we paid in total to give you an idea.

Total guests: 50

Package: Romantic Extravaganza (package only includes 30 guests so if you have more you pay $40 per person)

Reception: Privatised tent at Grand Tortuga

Post Reception: Poolside dancing

Music: Sound equipment only (no dj or band)

The total Wedding cost us about $8K in USD. 

We paid almost $4K for the Romantic Extravaganza package (which includes 30 people) and then paid per person for he extra people above 30.

We paid $2.5K to privatize the restaurant the restaurant (this is based on how many people you have so if you have less than 50 it won't cost you as much). 

We paid $70 per hour for the sound equipment and didn't get a DJ or anything to save on costs, we just played our own music off Spotify and stuff. (6 hours)

We upgraded a few hours of the bar to international bar to have nicer alcohol which cost just over $500 usd.

We did not pay for any extra photos - the packages with the onsite photographer are very expensive! I just have some talented friends take photos and we have 20 photos included.

We also paid for bridesmaids bouquets and groomsmen boutonnieres and a few additional things

Photos - Tropic One Studios (on site photographer)

Tropic one studios is the onsite photography company and they have an 'exclusive' contract with the resort which means if you want to bring your own photographer you will need to pay Tropic One Studios between $500 - $1000 which is very annoying and ridiculous.

I unfortunately don't have many good things to say about Tropic One Studios. I looked them up on facebook after we booked the wedding and really didn't like their work. Not really very good photography, especially for a Wedding photography. I emailed them to find out prices for bringing someone external on site and the manager emailed me back immediately with their extremely high costs. I then emailed back letting them know that I would not be doing this as it was far too expensive so I instead asked them for their photo package costs and they didn't reply at all. Then my husband emailed to chase this up and we got no response. Funny how they respond immediately when they see an opportunity to get money for doing nothing but as soon as you ask them costs on their work prices they ignore you. I found some package costs online but wasn't sure how up to date they were. It was crazy expensive anyway so I just asked some of my talented guests with nice cameras to step in for me. I have about 4 friends taking pictures (luckily they're talented and I have some wonderful photos which I haven't posted as they're not finished editiing yet).

With our package we have 25 photos included with Tropic One Studios from the Ceremony, if you want them for any other part of the day you have to pay extra and it seemed like a lot more (such as getting ready photos, reception, etc etc,) As I didn't like their pictures on fb I didn't want to pay all that money and be disappointed. At the ceremony the photographer was there and took some pictures as I was walking down the aisle and stuff but I didn't think he looked very professioal, he was a bigger guy, and wore all white which I thought was a bit weird as white should be bride only really and he was wearing a baseball cap which looked super unprofessional Some friends took some videos of me walking down the aisle and all you can see is this guy running from behind me to ahead of me to take pictures and it just doesn't make the video as nice. 

After the Wedding we went to their offices to take a look at the photos and surprisingly we didn't mind the photos they're actually nice so don't be too worried Grand Bahia brides!!!! I've posted an album below to show what the pictures we got looked like :)

We didn't struggle too much to cut the 70 photos he had down to 25 to keep. Some of the photos weren't great, someone face would be cut in half on the edge and some of the editing was questionable. After the 25 included each picture was $50 per digital copy!!! He tried to upsell us on extra photos but we said no. There was a few photos that were black and white and I asked if I could have them in colour. (I can change a photo to black and white myself I'd prefer to have a coloured copy so I can choose) and he said NO which I thought was ridiculous.

He then loaded up the pictures on a CD for us (old school). We took the CD home just to find it was blank!!!!! I emailed them right away asking to get the pictures and waited a few days - no response. I then emailed my wonderful wedding coordinator to help me with this and he chased her on getting me my pictures and she finally sent a google drive link with the pictures!!! Thank god! When I opened it tho - one of the pictures was corrupt and we couldn't open it so that took another 6 days to sort out. Such bad service. 

We also told them we weren't impressed that they never replied to our email about package costs ahead and the manager came and told us that she apparently never received the emails asking for this (either of them! lol that old chestnut!). She also accused us of bring a professional photographer onsite and told us they would contact them and get them to pay but no one ever heard from her. She was just annoying.

Don't want to end the review on that note! lol It was a wonderful day and I wouldn't have changed where i did it or anything :) it was lovely and everyone had a great holdiay :)

Hi Honey - right I've posted a few extra things such as decorations and costs as I meant to do this and forgot. I hope that helps you get a better idea :)

As per music at the Ceremony they had all the sound equipment there and had an iphone cable so we just downloaded a few songs onto a phone and played it. Make sure this is downloaded and not playing off wifi in case you have spotty wifi you don't want your music to stop or anything. You want to have some extra songs for people to listen to while they wait for you to arrive :) There is someone there to cue the music at the right times as well so you're looked after don't worry! :)

Re restaurant - they might be able to do the meat off the swords and then have a starter and a dessert - I'm not sure. Talk to the manager Adriane! He is excellent and will try to accommodate you!

We got the sunglasses from this website! Turned out great!

http://go-personalised.co.uk/login.html

You could definitely do dancing in the tent! It is big! I don't think we paid to privatise the pool but we paid for alcohol upgrade and for the sound equipment. You can alternatively pay for a DJ or band but I don't think there is much of an extra cost to be around the pool! Find out about this!!

I posted the albums again and added some extra photos. I hope you can see these. Strange about the others I definitely added more than 1 photo. Sorry I hardly have any photos so far so I don't have that many to share and the ones I've shared are just random ones from guests (other than the Ceremony ones that are from the onsite photographer).

I hope that helps :) Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kat

Thank you Kat for your detailed review and photos, I have 6 weeks left before we depart to Mexico to get married, and your review has really helped! on the little things like a cake topper, and favor ideas not that I have much room left on my weight allowance. My main concern is my make up, I'm not very good at this myself did you make your appointment once you got there? I am so glad I changed my date to get the Gazebo it looks amazing it meant I couldn't have my 1st choice resturant (grand tourga) but the ceremony photos you have posted just confirmed I definitely have done the right thing. Just one final question do you know if you get VIP bands (so you can eat and drink at all 4 resorts) as a wedding couple for any of the packages or was that included in your Romantica package.

Thank you in advance

Georgina

Hey Georgina congrats on the upcoming wedding! Hope you share your story and review after ???? which resort are you staying at? I know if any guest is at akumal or sian kaan they automatically get privilege to all 4 resorts but I believe I also remember reading that about the wedding packages for at least the bride and groom. I think the increase package means more access to family of the bride and groom.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks again kat I'm just in convo with the resort to do a set appetizer and dessert with the meat swords. I just got the options for the set appetizer and I have a funny question, what is a Russian salad? Lol when I Google it soo many different pictures pop up mainly a chopped salad with a creamy dressing is this what it is?

Thank you Kat for your detailed review and photos, I have 6 weeks left before we depart to Mexico to get married, and your review has really helped! on the little things like a cake topper, and favor ideas not that I have much room left on my weight allowance. My main concern is my make up, I'm not very good at this myself did you make your appointment once you got there? I am so glad I changed my date to get the Gazebo it looks amazing it meant I couldn't have my 1st choice resturant (grand tourga) but the ceremony photos you have posted just confirmed I definitely have done the right thing. Just one final question do you know if you get VIP bands (so you can eat and drink at all 4 resorts) as a wedding couple for any of the packages or was that included in your Romantica package.

Thank you in advance

Georgina

Hi Georgina,

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!! I'm so jealous that yours is yet to come, it's sad when it's all over. I hope you have the best wedding holiday!! :)

I booked the appointment for makeup and hair when I got to the resort (at the spa). The trial for hair and makeup is included and she has a book to pick different styles from and can try several different things on you. The trial is free but the hair and makeup on the day are not (I think it was about $150 for both) but if you do the trial before you decide to get it done with them. The girl that did my hair and makeup was good, I think her name was Norma. Don't worry, they do Wedding all the time :) 

I think the VIP wristbands to let you access all the resorts are included for the bride and groom in any package but I'm not 100% sure. I know there was a couple getting married a few days after us and they chose a lower package than us and they had the same wristbands as us but I don't know which lower package they chose. I remember talking to them about costs and they paid less for their package. I was trying to find the PDF for 2017 packages in my email but I can't find it. I know in the 2015/2016 packages you got VIP wristbands for the bride and groom and their parents for any package but 2017 it has changed to just bride and groom. Parents seem to get fewer perks now.

I hope that helps and I hope you have a wonderful Wedding!! :)

Kat

Hey Georgina congrats on the upcoming wedding! Hope you share your story and review after which resort are you staying at? I know if any guest is at akumal or sian kaan they automatically get privilege to all 4 resorts but I believe I also remember reading that about the wedding packages for at least the bride and groom. I think the increase package means more access to family of the bride and groom.

Thanks again kat I'm just in convo with the resort to do a set appetizer and dessert with the meat swords. I just got the options for the set appetizer and I have a funny question, what is a Russian salad? Lol when I Google it soo many different pictures pop up mainly a chopped salad with a creamy dressing is this what it is?

Russian Salad in this case, is a creamy mayo potato salad with smoked salmon and it's delicious!! I don't know what the exact recipe is but I think it has peas and carrots and maybe pickles?. It is very nice! Everyone kept saying how good it was. 

Hope that helps!

Kat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kat thank you for all you help on this you have been great. One final question when you paid the bill for all the wedding charges did they present this in USD and could you pay in USD or did they convert to pesos? I am taking a Thomas Cook travel card which would be loaded with dollers however wasn't sure if the final bill was in pesos.

Kind regards

Hi Kat thank you for all you help on this you have been great. One final question when you paid the bill for all the wedding charges did they present this in USD and could you pay in USD or did they convert to pesos? I am taking a Thomas Cook travel card which would be loaded with dollers however wasn't sure if the final bill was in pesos.

Kind regards

Hi :) they calculate it all in USD, from the package price to the add ons to the spa services but then when you pay it all at reception it all gets exchange into pesos at the awful rate they give you at the reception desk. If you can get around this some how you can save some money, we tried to fight it but had no luck. They also only let you pay for a certain amount of cash per room.

Hope that helps :)

Kat

Thanks Kat for the quick response, also sorry for got to say do they add Vat (tax) onto the final bill? Just so I work out how much to pre load the card with :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks Kat for the quick response, also sorry for got to say do they add Vat (tax) onto the final bill? Just so I work out how much to pre load the card with :)

No I don't think they do honey! I think they just charged us exactly what was on the form. :) Thanks,

Kat

• 1 month later...

Thanks Kat, they don't we got married on Saturday it was amazing!!! Thank you for all your help. We're still here enjoying the sunshine.

So glad it went well hun!!! Wishing you all the happiness in the world