Newly Engaged And Confused

Shaquana325

Hello Everyone!

I am newly engaged and my fiancé and I are 100% sure we want to have a destination wedding simply because between the two of us, we have way too many family and friends and wouldn't be able to afford it in the states. We've visited a few resorts such as Rivera Maya Mexico, Secret St. James in Montego Bay Jamaica and recently, Dreams in Bahamas. We absolutely fell in love with Jamaica and would love for our wedding to be there BUT the resort we stayed on was ADULTS ONLY resort. Our wedding party will definitely contain children being as though we have a 9 year old son. So I have quite a few questions for those who have already experienced the beginning stages:

1. Which resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica best fits the needs of both adults and children or any resort in Jamaica?

2. What's in the fine print that no one tells you until you see the bill at the end of it all?

3. What are the little extras we should bring? Such as flowers, decorations, lanterns or any DIY's?

4. Has anyone ever used a travel agency for their guest? if so was it worth it and which agency?

5. Any extra add ons that you paid for at the resort was it worth it? and if so what were they?

Also, any other tips would be greatly appreciated. We are fairly new and clueless when it comes to planning so any and all information would help. 

I have not contacted a resort yet, but plan on it this week to see who offers the best wedding package deal.

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

Good morning @@Shaquana325 and welcome to the wonderful BestDestinationWedding community.

There are a tonne of amazing members and resources at your disposal. The best tip we can suggest, is what you're doing right now. Doing research and planning ahead is the best way to ensure your perfect destination wedding.

We recently stayed at the Grand Bahia Runaway Bay which is just outside of Montego Bay Jamaica. It was such a beautiful resort. The hotel itself was beautiful and well maintained, the staff were super friendly and helpful. Overall we had an absolutely amazing time there. If you want to see photos of the grounds check out the following gallery. 

Cheers!

post-287055-0-02990100-1468247072_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the boards, and Congrats on your Jamaican wedding next November, Shaquana325!!! You're already off to a great start by joining here where there are so many resources to help with your planning questions!

We're based in the magnificent Mayan Riviera, so are most familiar with this area, however Jamaica sounds awesome too :)

Hope you find everything you're looking for, and enjoy your wonderful journey ahead - cheers!!!

Moments That Matter Photography team :)

e89d55_114a3920645c4b0d9b9b799f46c26cf5.

e89d55_623e72e2483d4cdbac5f8d209d3c2cc7.

Edited by Moments That Matter

Hi Shaquana!

Congratulations on your engagement!

We chose Iberostar Rose Hall Suites because it is kid friendly and had good reviews.  They offer 3 different packages that at base price range from about 1500-3000.  There are extra prices but they spell everything out plainly in their contract.

We used a family member that is a travel agent.  She put together a package and we send her a list of email addresses of people that we are inviting and she sent out an email communication to them.  We also put the package details (cost, payment plan, etc) on our electronic save the dates.  We are including her information on our real invites too.  Our goal was to have the people who are serious about traveling go through her because it gets very redundant telling people prices, flight options, etc over and over and over again.  Most of our friends and family have been good about contacting her.  

I spend a lot of time on this site looking for tips from past brides and there is a VERY interactive and informative group on Facebook for Iberostar Brides.  It's the Sisterhood of the traveling starfish.  You have to ask to join but when the ladies in the group are a BIG HELP.

What I'm finding is that how much you want to add on or how simple you want to keep things is personal preference and depends on your budget.  Some ladies go all out and hire decorators and bring in extra flowers and make up artists.  The island seems to offer plenty of talent in these areas.  Some keep it simple and just use the decorations provided with the package.  I'm getting married in November and at this point I'm somewhere in between.  I will use a lot of what the resort has to offer but I am using an off site photographer and possibly bringing a few decorations of my own.

Hope this helps!  Happy planning!

• Like 1

Hi @@Shaquana325,

Welcome! I am currently planning my wedding so I can't yet answer all of your questions but I'll provide answers for what I can.

1. Which resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica best fits the needs of both adults and children or any resort in Jamaica?

I am getting married at they Hyatt Ziva which has a family friendly and adults only side. Many brides on here have gotten married at Iberostar which is family friendly as well.

2. What's in the fine print that no one tells you until you see the bill at the end of it all?

Haven't gotten to this part yet but I'm sure its the little things that you don't think about that end up costing a lot, which is why many brides DIY many things like centerpieces.

3. What are the little extras we should bring? Such as flowers, decorations, lanterns or any DIY's?

Centerpieces are probably a good idea, flowers if they are not included and you want them. I'm doing my own centerpieces because they will be much cheaper than what the resort is charging, same will the decorations for the sweetheart table, definitely bringing my own decor.

4. Has anyone ever used a travel agency for their guest? if so was it worth it and which agency?

I am using Claire Skies Travel, LLC, so far it has been great. No one has found cheaper room rates than what our group rate is. 

• Like 1

@@Shaquana325 Congrats on your engagement and for choosing your destination for your wedding. please see my tips/responds below in bold

1. Which resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica best fits the needs of both adults and children or any resort in Jamaica? I like the tips from @@tiffanyt , again a TA will help you narrow this part

2. What's in the fine print that no one tells you until you see the bill at the end of it all? I dont believe there are fine print. what is important is to find out what is included in the package you pay for and what will be extras. keep in mind of all tax and service as if those are included in the price you see or additional. its up to you if you decide to add extra decor or DIY.

3. What are the little extras we should bring? Such as flowers, decorations, lanterns or any DIY's? if you are a crafty person then you will enjoy DIY project but if not just purchase what you find inexpensive and the rest source with the resort. 

4. Has anyone ever used a travel agency for their guest? if so was it worth it and which agency? I can never stress this enough you will thank yourself later for using a TA , why they handle everything for you and your guests only thing you need to worry about is the wedding planning part. many brides have recommended the TA they have used. FYI the owners of the page are travel agent. 

5. Any extra add ons that you paid for at the resort was it worth it? and if so what were they? i believe in outsourcing your photographer is worth it, weather you need to pay for vendor fee or not. because you are able to choose a photographer that jams with your style. 

Also, any other tips would be greatly appreciated. We are fairly new and clueless when it comes to planning so any and all information would help. 

the best place to start is to decide on your vision and budget , number of guests. and an to choose a resort that jams with you personality and your fiances. Ask yourself what is important and what isn't.  work with a TA you will thank yourself later, if you are a type A person , get planner on board. 

I have not contacted a resort yet, but plan on it this week to see who offers the best wedding package deal.

Happy planning

Joyce

• Like 1