Sandos Caracol January 2017 - Newbie Just Started Planning

Kfred

FINALLY! we have chosen our resort and about to book with our travel agent. In touch with the Sandos Caracol wedding coordinator and it all begins to somewhat fall into place... PHEW!

Any other Sandos brides out there? Would love some help along the way (from anyone really). Have been looking at the wedding package information that the resort provides and boy do they want to nickel and dime for every last detail! Some advice on what is worth skipping, what is worth bringing from home (and paying for extra luggage I guess), what is worth paying for the outside vendor fee (photographer?, flowers? any experience with the resort vendors out there?)

Thanks all and happy planning :)

Kelsey

• Like 2

Welcome to our forum community, Kelsey and tpenner, and Congrats on your upcoming Sandos Caracol weddings!!! wow - so Exciting - what a great journey you're on :)

Here's a link to some threads here discussing the Sandos Caracol, in case you haven't already seen them.

These are magical wedding moments that matter we captured, taken from our MTM Blog posts: 

.....some shots of the Sandos Cancun Wedding Story - enjoy!!!

e89d55_6b7f82a726aa40ec8acc1f50d7f97a3c.

e89d55_13947d498aa941e598fb67e084b0de71.

e89d55_f16750a04ecd432b880520785d872ca4.

...Sandos Playacar Wedding Story Album:

e89d55_a975087841314db480d289a150acef91.

e89d55_88a530d673e44f2c9b61c2cc66301a99.

Wishing you all the best with your plans, and happy research - cheers!!! team MTM [:)]

Edited by Moments That Matter

I've stayed at the Sandos. Back in 2013. We really loved it. Resort advice, if you can, get a room near the pool (an upgrade) as we were in the very back of the resort and it was a trek. Not a bad one but it was far lol

Sooooo much to do there. Entertainment was great. Loved the a'la cartes. Nightly stuff was on/off (some nights hopping others dead) but you'll have a blast with all your guests -- you make your own party. Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by calgarybride2015
  • Like 3

Here are my details so far:

We chose the Caribbean Fantasy package because we wanted to have our ceremony on the beach. After some thought, we decided that we would really prefer to get married right on the beach. The gazebo is very beautiful, but in pictures , it seems to take away from the beauty of the actual ocean...in my opinion anyway. I want to change it up with the reception and have it on the rooftop terrace, but if that's too expensive or not available, I'd like to have the reception on the beach. I really should get into contact with the coordinator about this. What option did you pick? I would love to hear all the details and maybe I'd get some good ideas.

As for vendors, we are most likely choosing to bring a pair of photographers from Edmonton. We love their work and we get a lot for what we are paying (engagement shoot, wedding, and rock the dress the day after) all for the cost of bringing the 2 of them which is 1735 a person, plus they have actually photographed a wedding at Sandos before. I've priced out photographers down there and anyone we liked were a little higher than we wanted. It's pretty much due to the exchange rate.

I've gotten some pricing for hair and makeup too. While I would've trusted the spa to do my hair, I was a little uneasy about makeup. One photographer we initially were looking at warned us about "cultural differences" that can sometimes make rhe bride come out with a little too much makeup, foundation lines from mismatched color, etc. I've gotten quotes from styling Trio, Backstage hair and make up, MVP, Yucatan Hair/besos brides and I have found Yucatan to the most affordable for myself, bridesmaids and mother.

Hmm...what else...we definitely want a dj that will stay until 11pm and I'm OK with whatever resort dj they give us. We also have a request page on our wedding website so we will have an ipod with a bunch of songs in case the dj has limited selection.

This turned out to be really long! Sorry!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you so much @@tpenner for responding with all of these details! so sorry it took me long to respond - my daughter is teething and has had a cold so it's been a rough week to sit down at the puter...

We too are going with the Caribbean Fantasy package. I am aiming for the gazebo but really like your point of not seeing/using the natural beauty of the beach/ocean which was always the plan while searching for our destination we always said on the beach, so who knows this one might change still. I really do love the gazebo though, it is so unique! Do you know how many guests you can have at this location though? We are inviting approx 80 people (not sure how many will come but I suspect at least 60). The resort asked if we would like 4pm, 5pm, or 6pm for our ceremony. We chose 4pm as that's what my fiance wanted - personally I was thinking 5 would be better, it's so bloody hot out still at 4 lol I'm gonna be a mess! Maybe another good reason for the gazebo to have some guaranteed shade.

I haven't seen any photos or good information on how the reception is set up on the beach, have you?! For now, we are moving forward with planning for the rooftop terrace. But there are so many details to figure out for the reception like table settings, centerpieces, flowers, etc. I'm trying to figure out what I will bring with me for our own set up or what we will pay the resort to do. I haven't really seen examples of what they can do for centerpieces etc. (can't get over the upcharge for every little thing like even a napkin ring holder!!). I've heard of other brides (other resorts) bringing their own materials for centerpieces, their own table runners and other decorations. What are your plans for that?

Also will pay for the extra hour, I can't imagine shutting the party down at 10 - and as far as I've heard the resort DJ is just fine for the event so will be going that way. I haven't even begun researching photographers/prices - amazing that it's cheaper for you to bring them with you from Edmonton (we are from Winnipeg). So hopefully I'll get to see some work from the resort photographer soon so I can move forward with planning on that front.

One of my bridesmaids is a hair stylist so I'm super lucky in that regard. I think I'm going to give the resort salon a try for the make up application. I think that if I really don't like it, I'll wash it off and do my makeup myself.

Have you decided on buffet or plated dinner? how about your colors/theme?

talk soon and thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi Ladies, 

We are pretty sure this is where we want to get married September 2017. Super excited. We are pretty sure we will go with the Emerald Breeze package but I have a question regarding dinner. It says that the package includes 3 hr private dinner. This may be a silly question but do they charge you per head for the food or is that included when it says "private dinner"? I wasn't sure if it meant that its just giving you the space to eat privately or if its all included? 

Thanks in advance :)