Zika Virus

Mexico

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 KJCoins

KJCoins
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:42 PM

Anyone booking for 2017 concerned about this? 

I just got one potential cancellation from an immediate family member.

#42 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
    • 4,506 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
    • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

Sadly people are going to believe what they want to believe no matter how much information you give them. There is more power in the media than people realize. Just today I read that the US CDC is transferring the Ebola money over to investigating/researching Zika. I also know Brazil started a major insecticide spray campaign to kill the mosquitos. But the news media blowing it way out of proportion is what everyone will focus on.

Interesting. It's funny how nuts they went over Ebola when TB kills millions a year and gets less funding and exposure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#43 EM1003

EM1003
    • 6 posts
    • Wedding Date:October 22, 2016
    • Wedding Location:Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:03 PM

has anyone heard anything about Zika in the dominican republic? talked to any local doctors etc? 

#44 Mangosong

Mangosong
    • 170 posts
    • Wedding Date:March 20, 2017
    • Wedding Location:Costa Rica!
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:40 AM

Anyone booking for 2017 concerned about this? 

I just got one potential cancellation from an immediate family member.

@KJCoins While I do think it's a legit concern, they are saying that Zika has already spread to the US and by this summer it should be in NYC (where I live). My theory on it is, it's going to be here anyway by this summer, so unless you plan to live in a bubble for the whole summer, there's really no reason to think it's going to be any different, any where else. 

#45 JessicaWaldron

JessicaWaldron
    • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:04 PM

I'm seriously about to cry. Both of my sisters told me today that their families will not be attending due to the Zika virus. One sister said she would still come, and some guests have already said they are not coming. It's too late to find a new venue. Is anyone else in the same boat? The wedding is in Xcaret, Mexico at the end of October this year.

#46 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
      • 670 posts
      • Wedding Date:April 7, 2016
      • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire, Riviera Maya, Mexico
      • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

@JessicaWaldron Are your sisters pregnant or planning to get pregnant? I'm no medical expert, but my understanding is that if there is no pregnancy involved, and if you contract zika AND actually get sick (which doesn't happen to everyone), it's not much worse than a flu. I would encourage your sisters to get medical advice if they haven't already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Erin

My planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...2016/?p=1893268

My Now Sapphire review: http://www.bestdesti...riviera-cancun/

#47 EM1003

EM1003
      • 6 posts
      • Wedding Date:October 22, 2016
      • Wedding Location:Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:09 PM

Something that might help calm people down is contacted the hotel and asking about their concerns and if they are doing anything to help reduce the other all risk. surprisingly our hotel is very proactive about reducing the risk of zika at the resort, which makes sense as this affects their business. They are taking additional measure to make the hotel is Zika free. the response i got from them was so details it definitely brought some additional relief and everyone else i've shared the response with is definitely feeling more at ease, this includes my finance who was freaking out about zika for our guest. Now he's 100% on board and no longer worried. be proactive and share with people so that they dont freak out on their own. We went through our Zika scare, but now we're at a place where *knock on wood* zika isnt really an issue we're currently worrying about. 

#48 AdamnJenn17

AdamnJenn17
      • 161 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

Just try not to get pregnant down there and get tested when you get back - symptoms usually subside in a week and it usually passes in 2-3 month - get tested again and you are out of danger - it is not something that stays with you your whole life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users