#1 TheBHolders

TheBHolders
  • 363 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 17, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Moon Palace Cancun
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:46 AM

Hey everyone,

I am having trouble planning my reception location and times. I have a large group of 100-120 people and we are on a budget.

So,

Our ceremony is planned for 5pm at the Tucan Gazebo.

I originally planned to have the cocktail hour at Tucan terrace and reception in the ballroom.

But then I started hating the ballrooms and didnt want to spend a ton of money trying to decorate it.

So then,

I moved the reception to the Carribbean terrace (rooftop) but we ouutgrew the space.

So then I asked to have the cocktail and reception at the Grand Terrace. And our timeline would be as follows:

Ceremony 5-6

Cocktail 6-7

Reception 7-10 (10 is the latest we can go)

My concern is that with a three hour reception, there wont be enough time to have everything done, dances, cake cutting, toasts, and party.

I just need some help.

We are having a welcome dinner the night before and I am thinking of hiring our videographer for it and we can do speeches then.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I am kind of feeling like I shouldve stuck to the ballroom, as I know my guests will want to keep the party going.

Thank you

So far 79 adult guests + bride and groom + 13 kids = 164 room nights. Focused on planning without stressing.

event.png

#2 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:34 AM

@TheBHolders

Hey! I'm not too sure about the locations at Moon Palace, but I can tell you that after just having my wedding (at Beach Palace), that definitely won't be enough time if you are also planning to have dancing. My reception started at 6pm and we didn't start dancing until about 9. We even tried to rush through a lot of it, but if you are planning to have speeches, first dance, parent dances, dinner and cut the cake then I'm not sure you will have much time for the 'party' after.

Personally we had a rehearsal dinner the night before, but it just wouldn't have been the same for us if we did the speeches then. It was really special the day of the wedding because of the occasion and being in the moment. Everyone was already in that really emotional state of mind with it being the wedding day.

Our schedule looked like..

Ceremony 4pm

Cocktail hour 5pm

Reception 6-11pm

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to reach out. Having just returned from my wedding, I still have fresh insight in my mind!

Oh and also one other thing.. The ceremony won't be an hour long. It will be over by 5:30 at the very latest. You could even try to shave away some of your cocktail hour time and maybe add some more time onto your reception? Like maybe do your cocktail hour from 5:30 to 6 or 6:30 and start your reception earlier than you had originally planned :)

My entire ceremony took 15-20 minutes total and my ceremony script was pretty detailed.

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#3 TheBHolders

TheBHolders
  • 363 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:51 AM

thank you so much  @perianjay!! I didnt think it would be enough time. The latest we can have the reception outside is 10pm on this terrace, my only other option is to switch back to the ballroom to go later. The beach is also an option, but I don't want it on the beach.

I was thinking if I had the cocktail hosted at the same location as the reception then it will give more "reception time" since people can get to their seats.

Did you feel that a 4pm ceremony still allowed for ample time getting ready? I want to do first looks and bridal party photos before the ceremony. 

I am also worried that a 4pm ceremony will leave my guests outside in the sun longer since my wedding is in june and it will be hot.

I believe this terrace is near the pool, which doesnt close until 6, so I'm not sure how private it will be before then, but for just cocktails im not worried about privacy.

I'm thinking I can follow your timeline. 

Or maybe move the ceremony to 4:30, possibly 4 might be better

cocktails will start around 5:00- 5:15, by the time they get there

And reception will start around 6:00

I'm hoping with the cocktails and reception in the same location, it will feel like a longer reception?

So far 79 adult guests + bride and groom + 13 kids = 164 room nights. Focused on planning without stressing.

event.png

#4 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:02 AM

@TheBHolders If you are flexible with times still, then you should definitely move your times around. That would be my best advice to you. I honestly don't think that the hour will make a big big difference in the heat/sun. We had our entire day outside and it was sweltering (I think our wedding day was the hottest day the whole week with no cloud coverage). The time difference from 4-5 really didn't make a huge difference.. in fact we didn't cool down until the sun went down. 

I think that you will have plenty of time to get ready. I'm not sure about your getting ready schedule, but we all made it work. We started getting ready at 12pm and the girls and I slacked off a lot and we were fine for timing. You would have more than enough time if you started getting ready earlier and you have your first look just before the ceremony. 

I think that 6-10pm will be a good reception time.. it's honestly never going to feel like it was long enough (in the bride's mind). 

The day goes by in a flash so it's definitely best that you have the videographer the day of the wedding (as opposed to the day before). I can't wait to see my video and be able to take it all in in more of a relaxed state.

I've been to Moon Palace before, but i'm not familiar with the names of all of the terraces and reception spots. I'd probably avoid the ballroom if you can (our's was so tacky looking at Beach Palace - I hated it and was hoping and praying that it wouldn't rain). 

If you move your time around for the reception, you will be more at peace the day of the wedding. I was so worried about time and I felt a bit rushed to get everything done on time. If I could go back and change one thing I would have definitely not slacked when getting ready (lol) and I would have cut my cocktail hour to only a half hour and I would have had a longer reception. 

We didn't even attend the cocktail hour because we used that time to take bridal party photos. 

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#5 TheBHolders

TheBHolders
  • 363 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:50 AM

Thank you so much @perianjay you have been so helpful. I really appreciate it

event.png

#6 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:31 AM

It's what makes this forum community so Great....everyone here who's so helpful!!! Cheers :)

Wishing everyone a Verrry Merry Christmas and the Best Ever New Year ahead - it'll be remembered for a lifetime - Cheers!!! team MTM :)

10887520_10152928701404487_3240177822190

398067_10150472129234487_1338390914_n.jp

1519157_10152063469839487_240178567_o.jp

MTM%20Logo%202016_zps4tzm05my.png

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                        100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

#7 Haylinds

Haylinds
    • 2 posts
    • Wedding Date:February 18, 2016
    • Wedding Location:Moon Palace
    • LocationDenver, Colorado

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

@TheBHolders I am less than a month out to my wedding at the Moon Palace so I'm working out some of the same details you are!  Also, I have been there twice and have a pretty good handle on the layout and different locations.  

This might not be ideal but I did want to mention that they have a nightclub at the Moon Palace - Club Noir over in Sunrise.  Last year when I was there a TON of guests from a wedding came over after they were done.  It gave some of the younger people who weren't done celebrating and dancing a change to keep the party going and they had a blast!  It opens Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.   You could always encourage everyone to after party over there! 

Also, I am aiming for a 4pm wedding.  In the winter months the latest they will do the weddings is 4pm.  I haven't worked out the details of getting ready for the day yet but I feel like 4pm will give me enough time to get ready and get some pictures in before.  I have never been to Mexico in the summer though so I can't really say how bad the heat might be :) 

#8 Canadorecc

Canadorecc
    • 10 posts
      • LocationSudbury, ON

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:09 PM

Hi! Congrats!

I noticed that you had originally selected the Carribbean Terrace as a reception location. Could you please provide some details in regards to the terrace as I'm planning a wedding for 2015.

1.  is the Carribbean Terrace private or semi-private?

2. What is the capacity?

3. What the moon palace quote you for this location?

Thank you!

#9 bcontrerasdpt

bcontrerasdpt
      • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

Hi, no one has posted in this thread for a while. I am getting married at MP next week! We did the preview of paradise in Jan 2016 . We are doing the Catholic ceremony, and selected the Venado Terrace for reception (~40 people). The on site wedding planner told me she noted my selection, but about 4 weeks ago, they send me my contact which has the reception at a completely different location!! When I told my wedding planner, she said the planner who did our preview doesn't work there anymore and none of my preferences were noted and now the Venado terrace is not available!! They GAVE AWAY my reception location! They offered me the Grand Terrace, but the photos show it is next to an above ground lap pool, not close to the beach as I wanted, and seemed far too big for my group size. After a lot of arguing, they eventually got me the Toucan Terrace, which is similar to the Venado, but in a different spot along the beach. So that is just my 2 cents on the grand terrace as well as dealing with the planners at MP.

I will say one thing that has gone smoothly was choosing my photographer. I highly recommend looking to off site vendors as I was not impressed with the on-site, even after meeting with them. I found our photographer, Octavio Montes, through this forum and he has been amazing to work with so far! I can't wait for him to shoot our wedding! He has a beautiful website and portfolio and I'm getting SO much more for what I am paying (even with the outside vendor fee). Octavio is so friendly and fast with communication. He worked with us on budget as well as some special requests including a video project. He has SO much to offer! Highly recommend checking him out before you sign a contract with the on-site photographer!

Best wishes to all of you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users