341 replies to this topic

#21 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

What do you ladies think about making our diaries public on MFP or if you want to have it locked sharing the password? Mines open but I LOVE getting ideas of calorie conscious meals from others on the same journey. I found lately on my friend's list the ones having the most success won't share their dairies :( if not, no worries just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#22 deecol

deecol
  • 787 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 30, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Grand Bahia Principe Coba, Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:47 AM

Hi!!! Love that this thread has been started.  Thanks @Wafflesmom!

My name is Deanna (aka Dee) and I'm getting married on April 30th, 2016.

I gained weight when I was in high school - eating McDonalds or Cafeteria food everyday for lunch and drinking every weekend, I didn't realize I had packed on the pounds so much.  When I hit college, a bunch of my guy friends all started going to the gym and got me in there too as well as eating well, I lost about 20lbs and felt amazing, I didn't realize how great I looked until I look back at pictures now.  My ex was a manager at Goodlife and that kept me in good shape.  Over the years I've slowly gained, lived in different countries, travelled and been in a great relationship (can you say all-you-can eat sushi?!).  Both Colin (who is not a manager at a gym lol) and I are definetly not where we want to be physically.  I'm 8 months out, and my motivation (and fear) is that 1 month before we board the plane I still won't be where I want to be and don't want to think to myself "Why didn't I do something about this months ago? I had so much time".

I actually love working out, I get a genuine high from it and look forward to it everyday.  It's a true passion of mine, and I could talk about it for hours.  I started spinning again recently at 6am twice a week and doing weights at night.  I just came off 7-days in a row with no rest and exhausted myself so much I haven't done anything physically for 2 days... I have a gym in my building and have a gym membership through work, so I should be in the best shape ever, no excuse really.

Like @perianjay I also don't have a goal in terms of pounds (and have a knee condition!), I'm 5'7 and know I do not want to be less than 130lb, if I weigh more I'm okay with it as long as I look and feel healthy. 

My short-term goals:  

• Kill it at the gym tonight! (2 days rest has given me lots of energy)
  • Up my spinning to 3 days a week from 2 (Mon, Wed, Fri or a weekend day) and make sure I'm doing at least 4 weight workouts a week
  • Make time on Sunday and Wednesday to meal prep
  • Stop stepping on the scale everyday (change to once a week) and buy a measuring tape for inches.  I'm almost the same weight I was when I was at my heaviest in high school but my body looks completely different and has more muscle - hence, need to stop thinking about the scale
  • Cut booze (75%) - I love to come home to a glass (or 2) of vino.  I plan to limit this to only drinking on occasions (birthdays, our GTA bride meet-up on Oct 2nd :), etc... ) this will save my waistline and money.  And I have gastritis so I shouldn't be drinking too much anyway.

Let's do this ladies!!! 

Edited by deecol, 27 August 2015 - 08:51 AM.

event.png

My Planning Thread:

http://www.bestdesti...6/#entry1904529

#23 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

I feel you. I kept saying '3 months to Vegas I will lose 10 lbs' and I never did it. So this group will help keep you on track.

I'm addicted to the scale. It's a bad bad addiction. I've never measured which is crazy given what I've done. So that's another goal for me - to measure monthly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#24 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:10 AM

@deecol I feel ya girl! I have the same fear of getting really close to my wedding and then getting upset with myself for not trying harder leading up to it. I'm about 5'8 and ideally i'd love to be around the 130-140 mark as well. 

Curious.. what knee condition do you have? I have Chondromalacia Patella (haha that's a mouth full). I've found it so discouraging because when I try to work out at the gym in my condo, most workouts really bother my knee. The only thing i've been able to do so far is Yoga. 

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#25 Meandhim

Meandhim
  • 706 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 25, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Palladium in Punta Cana
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

@calgarybride2015

I think my diary is open to friends but I'm not sure...

My Planning Thread - MeandHim - Grand Palladium Bavaro - Nov 25 2015

event.png

#26 deecol

deecol
  • 787 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

@perianjay I've actually never been officially diagnosed - I've had an MRI, X-ray, seen my doctor a bunch of times.  I'm not sure what caused it either, I snowboard and am generally active so maybe just wear and tear?  It started acting up after a summer of playing beach volleyball 4 years ago.  My doctor has no clue, told me to lose weight and not squat so deep... so I've taken it into my own hands.

I have been getting deep tissue massages and using the foam roller a lot.  They all commented on the tight muscles around my knee, but I went to a masseuse recently who told me I have severe tendinitis in my right knee and minor in my left.  I've been told to focus on strengthening my leg muscles more - the adductors and abductors, the hams, quads and glutes as it will all help to keep the knee from becoming so inflamed.  I don't go super deep in my squats because I can hear my knees click and the pain starts.  I tend to not really do too much cardio because I'm always scared of knee pain, but I found spinning doesn't irritate me as long as I stretch out really well before and after class.  I stayed away from it for years because of my knee but the first class I went back to a couple of months ago I had the instructor help me set up my bike before class and let them know about my knee and they said to raise the seat if I start to feel pain.

Swimming is great as well, it takes all pressure off your joints, so if you can get to a pool a few laps will def help.

What part of your knee is the pain in?

Edited by deecol, 27 August 2015 - 09:21 AM.

event.png

My Planning Thread:

#27 JoannaBanana

JoannaBanana
  • 319 posts
    • LocationEtobicoke

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

Okay, I'm in.  But I'm not setting myself up for failure.  I'll start Monday.  I'm going to the CNE this weekend and there WILL be junk food of epic proportions.

My Planning Thread (Grand Sirenis 05.12.16)http://www.bestdesti...-grand-sirenis/<p>

weight.png
    event.png

#28 pjay

pjay
    • 1,791 posts
    • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
    • LocationToronto

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

@deecol That's kind of funny because I actually blew my knee out while snowboarding. The knee surgeon told me that's what caused it and I also dislocated my knee cap. Needless to say.. I had to stop snowboarding. I miss it terribly! I'm surprised that they couldn't conclude anything from your MRI. That's how they found my condition.

All of my knee pain is in the core of my knee cap. My patella is basically deteriorating and i've been told there's not much I can do at this point. I could go through with a knee surgery but it will greatly impact the integrity of my knee and surrounding bones/joints. So since I got diagnosed (two years ago) i've really slowed down on physical activity to avoid damaging my knee anymore. The surgeon told me if I had kept it up I would be at risk for a knee replacement.

Edited by perianjay, 27 August 2015 - 09:53 AM.

My planning thread :
    http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#29 deecol

deecol
    • 787 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:05 AM

@perianjay no way!  We're so similar!

I found it strange when the MRI didn't pick anything up, I told the masseuse that and he said it probably didn't pick it up because I had stayed off it prior to the scan and the inflammation went down - I have no idea. 

Your condition sounds so painful!  I get pain at the base of my knee cap and feel pulling from the top.  My dad is having knee surgery on Sept 28th, he's only 58 but his are so bad from being a carpenter and being really sporty all his life, he can barely walk, it's so heartbreaking to watch. So he's getting his right knee done before my wedding and his left done after. 

Edited by deecol, 27 August 2015 - 10:20 AM.

event.png

My Planning Thread:

#30 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
    • 495 posts
    • Wedding Date:February 23, 2016
    • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis, Riviera Maya

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

@perianjay Yay! Another member of our group! Sorry to hear that you struggle with knee issues. I feel you on that. I ran my first 1/2 marathon a couple weeks ago and haven’t been able to do much since because of my knees. I’m sure its not the same but I have a small taste of what you are going through. I’ve heard hot yoga is really great exercise. I wish I liked yoga more but unfortunately I get bored with it too fast and prefer workouts where its super high intensity haha. 

@Meandhim Welcome! I love your goals! I’ve heard people doing back to back rounds of 21 day fix and having amazing results. It really teaches people portioned balanced diets! I love it so far! 

@calgarybride2015 I will open my diary up. I think it will give me a greater accountability to not cheat haha. I don’t want people to see if I’ve had a bunch of junk food hahaha. 

@deecol Awesome goals. I’m like you, I’ve always loved working out, it gives me such a high. My FI and I love being active so much that when we bought a house one of our requirements was the ability to put in a home gym. We did that! We have  rubber flooring, multiple different sets of weights, a TRX system, weight bench, and a tv set up for workout videos. We also have a treadmill which we moved out of the gym for space but its still accessible. We also just installed a chin up bar in our garage. Now I just need to get off my butt and start using it all again. I’m sure you can achieve those goals. I have the same fear that i’ll get close to the wedding date and be disappointed in myself. LETS DO THIS!

Edited by yycbride2016, 27 August 2015 - 10:19 AM.

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2015 Brides, 2016 Brides, Fitness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users