Support And Accountability Group

Wafflesmom

Far too often on this site, I’ve seen many brides beat themselves over weight gain, lack of wedding planning or just a general lack of motivation. I’ve spoken to a few brides on here (@, @@deecol and @calgarybride2015) and have come up with the idea of starting an accountability group. Accountability has been proven to be successful in achieving any goal as it helps one keep focus and achieve the goals set forth. Most importantly, it lets you know if you’re getting off track and not staying true to your plan.

An accountability group is a small group of people checking in with each other, minimum once a week. Now this accountability group is for two things, to set health goals (both physical and mental) and to set wedding planning goals.

If you would like to join this group, you basically just need to do the following:

- If it’s your first goal, write a little blurb about yourself and why you would like to join. Then write an overall goal you would like to achieve. This is for the health portion, we all know what we want to achieve for our wedding planning goals LOL. For example, a first blurb goal would be to lose 10 lbs in 4 months.

- Then every Thursday of each week, “check in” by writing down steps you’ve taken in the week to achieve both your health and wedding planning goals. For example:

o Health goal: I attended two yoga sessions and have given up junk food this week

o Wedding planning goal: I booked my photographer

- If there was anything that hindered you from progress that week, feel free to use it as an avenue to vent. Perhaps you’re stressed at work, sometimes finding an outlet to vent is a good cathartic way of getting your frustrations out.

- Most importantly, be honest. We will have obstacles to our goals and that is completely fine. In the end, we are all here to support each other.

I hope this doesn’t sound cheesy at all. I was initially going to start a Facebook group with those who have expressed interest but I thought that this forum is actually a great venue to host this group. Everyone on her has been more than supportive of each other and that’s exactly the atmosphere I’d like to foster in this group.

Since I’ve started the group, I’ll go first.

My name is Jerilee and I’m getting married on January 23, 2016 at Moon Palace. I was never the type to workout and have a love affair with food. Fried foods are my kryptonite. I’m Filipino, we fry everything LOL As I reached my 30’s, my love affair with food started affecting my waistline. I never quite noticed the weight gain until 2010 when we were all measured for bridesmaid’s dresses for my friend’s wedding. My measurements were the same as my friend who had just given birth! I was absolutely horrified. So right away, I signed up for bootcamp at this small studio near my house.

After a year of working out, I was still not seeing the results I wanted. I spoke to my bootcamp instructor and she told me that exercise alone won’t do anything; I also had to change my eating habits. Naïve me thought that if I workout, I could lose weight while continuing to eat junk food. She had me on a strict diet and cleanse for a few weeks and I immediately noticed a big improvement! I am now at my ideal weight for my height and have been working my butt off to maintain it. I’ve already bought my dress and that has motivated me to continue on my path to health, I will be honest in that although I try to eat healthy, I still can’t get over my love affair with food. I do have the occasional cheat days and don’t deprive myself.

So here are my health goals:

I would like to maintain my current weight but tone up in a few places, including my stomach. I would like to try to eat more vegetables and fruits and make sure that I don’t skip any meals.

• Like 7

@@Wafflesmom Thanks for setting this up! I think this will help. I've been in other accountability groups before and it helped me stay on track with things back then. 

My name is Janelle and I'm getting married on February 23, 2016 at the Grand Sirenis! I used to workout religiously and even taught fitness classes for 6 months last year. Once I got engaged I was so fired up and my FI and I told each other that this wedding was going to be our motivation to get into the best shapes of our lives. Unfortunately we did the opposite. We ate out more, ate more junk food and worked out less. Not quite sure how that happened. 

Now that I'm 6 months away from my wedding date I think I've re-ignited the fire and I'm feeling ready to get back at it. My goals:

- I would like to lose 10-13lbs over the next 6 months by working out religiously again and staying true to a healthy clean nutrition plan. 

Myfitnesspal: janellepaquin11

• Like 5

@@yycbride2016 yay, welcome to the group! I'm glad you've decided to join, especially since you have always been very supportive and encouraging :)

I'm glad you've reignited your fire and motivation! I will look into my username for myfitnesspal and join the bdw group

• Like 3

Oh I'm so glad you're gonna join us @@calgarybride2015 I think everyone on here is more than grateful for all of your support and kind words. I know I am!

The BDW group is supposed to be on myfitnesspal. @@Meandhim how do you join a group on there? I can't figure out how to do it, or even how to add contacts.

My MFP name is also wafflesmom

• Like 4

Not sure if this is a good start, but I will post my goals in a few weeks. Work is crazy right now and then we are away for a wine tasting trip until Sept 11. So I plan to kickstart when I get back. 

Here's my interim goal: Post my blurb & goal by Sept 17 :)

Edited by vancouverpetunia
  • Like 4

Thanks for the encouragement. It seems like a cop out, but I guess you're right :) (Feel free to call me out if you notice that Sept 17 has come and gone!) We're headed to Osoyoos and then West Kelowna. We've gone every year since 2012, but always staying in Penticton, and for a few less days, so mixing it up a bit this year. Hoping for no fires/smoke!!!

• Like 2

If you are on the MFP app you go to 'more' them 'friends' then click the '+' and choose 'email' Where you can add their username :)

@@vancouverpetunia LOVE the Okanagan. If only there were jobs. My husband's family all share a boat so we spend a lot of time out there. I'm sure you've been to Naramata's bench? That was my first wine tasting experience. Mission Hill in West Bank is a neat experience too. Shawn's friend is a level 3 somalia (spelling??) and works at an organic winery in the same area. Can't wait to hear about your trip and where you go :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to lose the 20 lbs I gained since my engagement in April 2014. (If not more with Vegas hehe)

I'd like to get back to the gym more regularly to tone back up as it makes a big difference.

This weeks goals - actually track a full 7 days worth of healthy eating (just finished day 3)

- start back to the gym after a 3 week hiatus and go twice

I didn't put my back history as I feel people already know it but if anyone wants to hear just let me know :)

Edited by calgarybride2015
  • Like 4

Love Naramata. We've been there lots. I've been wine tasting in Kelowna myself many times but not for years, and I'm not sure if Jeff has been at all. We're really looking forward to the break.

P.S. It's sommelier :) And good luck with your goals this week!

Edited by vancouverpetunia
  • Like 2