Hi ladies,

We're leaving one week from today for our wedding in Mexico!  I'm super excited and am now just trying to work out the logistics of how we're going to get everything down there. 

Has anyone ever used either the Thirty-One Zip-Top Organizing Tote or All-Day Organizing Tote as a personal item in addition to a carry on bag?  I appreciate your help and suggestions!  Thanks!!!

http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/catalog/product/320/catid/22/swid/081a/zip-top-organizing-utility-tote-in-bubble-bloom/

a631e9a85b8b343a551cfb37d052b04a.jpg

http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/catalog/product/358/catid/22/swid/079a/all-day-organizing-tote-in-black-playful-parade/

I1-full.jpg

Edited by MissFrench

I had a bag quite similar to that. It was a large weekender bag by Stella and Dot. Then I used a 20 inch roller suitcase. Then my dress lol. I just read the airlines website on what you could carry and pushed that size limit to the max. You should be fine if you know two items are allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not sure if you're in the US or canada, but the latest is that in canada they are now enforcing the size limits for carry ons. There is a "guide" at the check in area and if your bag doesn't fit the guide, they will force you to check it. My sister is a terminal supervisor at Pearson and she said it has slowed down the check in process as well as forcing people to check bags that they hadn't planned to check because the size isn't fitting. She said people are getting quite irate because they're ending up over the one bag limit, or in the case of air canada, they're ending up paying twice instead of once.

Those are really nice bags! I like the patterns that they come in.

• Like 1

Not sure if you're in the US or canada, but the latest is that in canada they are now enforcing the size limits for carry ons. There is a "guide" at the check in area and if your bag doesn't fit the guide, they will force you to check it. My sister is a terminal supervisor at Pearson and she said it has slowed down the check in process as well as forcing people to check bags that they hadn't planned to check because the size isn't fitting. She said people are getting quite irate because they're ending up over the one bag limit, or in the case of air canada, they're ending up paying twice instead of once.

Those are really nice bags! I like the patterns that they come in.

Their websites also have the measurements that mirrors the 'guide' in the airports. That's what I did when I purchased my bag lol. Am I a geek?

• Like 4

lol Of course not Kim! You're a smart traveller! However according to my sister, the problem is not all of the airlines have the exact same measurements for carry on. The charters have slightly different measurements than the regular airlines so it's a case of buyer beware! I think she said there is a spot on the airport website for Toronto that talks about carry on allowed luggage. Not sure if it's the same for the other major cities like Calgary and Vancouver airports.

lol Of course not Kim! You're a smart traveller! However according to my sister, the problem is not all of the airlines have the exact same measurements for carry on. The charters have slightly different measurements than the regular airlines so it's a case of buyer beware! I think she said there is a spot on the airport website for Toronto that talks about carry on allowed luggage. Not sure if it's the same for the other major cities like Calgary and Vancouver airports.

I honestly have no idea. I generally don't worry about this stuff but since it was the wedding I just read the Air Canada website thoroughly as that is who we were flying.    I haven't really looked much farther than that. Thankfully I got lucky!

• Like 1

Thanks ladies!  I agree with @@acw271011, Kim you are a smart traveler!  We're flying out of the US and after a little more searching I found the following (personal items are to be stored under the seat so I think I'll be ok according to these measurements!)

Carry-on Baggage Size Restrictions

Each customer may bring onboard one personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop, etc.) which must fit under the seat, plus one carry-on bag which must be stowed in the overhead bin. Dimensions are as follows:

Overhead: 

• In order to fit in the overhead bin, your carry-on bag must not exceed 22" L (55.88 cm) x 14" W (35.56 cm) x 9" H (22.86 cm) on all of our aircraft types

Under the seat:

• Airbus A321: 17 inches (43.2 centimeters) length x 13 inches (33 centimeters) width x 11 inches (27.9 centimeters) height
  • A320 / E190: 18 inches (45.72 cm) length x 15 inches (38.1 cm) width x 8 inches (20.32 cm) height
  • Like 2

You're lucky in the US. I don't think they're as picky. It all started here because of charging for checked bags. People are trying to bring all their luggage as carryon instead of checking bags because it means they have to pay. That's why they're now enforcing the size restrictions to stop people bring everything as cabin bags. The other thing it does too is screws up the plane's weight distribution since generally they don't weigh carryon bags. All it takes is a few people pushing the envelope to ruin it for everyone else. We flew out west late last fall and some lady got on with a kid about 3 and I guess her mother. They had 3 seats thank goodness but they had FIVE bags!!!! All close to the weekender size but there were 2 I'm certain were over the size allowed. they wouldn't git under the seat and they were so big the flight attendant couldn't find room in the overheads to squeeze all of them in! She ended up with at least one bag that I remember all the way at the front of the aircraft. I told my husband that we were definitely getting off the plane ahead of this lady cuz I wasn't waiting around while she blocked the aisle digging out 5 bags!!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the U.S. is as picky. Their airlines were charging for checked bags before Canadian ones were. When I flew out of O'Hare (Chicago) last November they turned me around from security and forced me to check my carry on. It's supposed to be regulation size, but the wheels stuck out maybe half an inch from their limit. It's a pain and every airline is different. Make sure you check the measurements they give on their website to avoid any issues at check in.

• Like 2

Definately people who take advantage. I'd like to think I was just a smart traveller, as you said. Generally I only board with my back pack so this time when I boarded with 2 bags I felt guilty. But like I said I read the regulations and didn't default them!! So I recommend everyone do that. I honestly didn't even know you could bring on a roller suitcase until I looked. Actually one of my guests didn't want to check a bag at all and I was like 'how could you bring it all in a backpack'. That's how silly I was. That said she did if clothes wise BUT had no shampoo or sunscreen. Ticked me off she bummed off everyone else when her checked bag was FREE. With flights outside Canada or the USA most airlines are still offering one free checked bag. None the less if you stay within their requirements you should be ok and you shouldn't feel guilty either!!!