What To Do With All Of Your Wedding Supplies?

How are you all getting your stuff to your destinations?  Are you carrying it all with you?  Are any of you shipping anything?  Our theme is starfish and I have a bunch that we will be using in one way or another at the wedding, I'm so afraid to pack it in a regular suitcase, so I am thinking now a carryon.  What is everyone else planning on doing?

• Like 2

You're not alone with the question of getting all of your décor items to your destination. The resorts very strongly advise against shipping anything to them. It can very easily get lost for starters, and if it gets to the wrong person at the resort, it could end up anywhere. Courier isn't the most reliable in Mexico so you'd be taken a huge chance that your items wouldn't make it to where they are supposed to go.

The brides here generally carry their items themselves or get family members/bridal party to help out by dividing things up between several people. You can always pack it all and take it yourself if you're worried. if you scout through the forums you'll find various packing tips from the ladies that will help you out. It also depends on how much you want to spend on extra luggage!! Definitely any breakable items should be well wrapped in a suitcase or placed in a carryon. It's also recommended that you keep all of your receipts and carry them with you, as well as making a list of all of the items that are packed in luggage. Mexican customs has been known to ask about the items as well as request the value. It doesn't happen often but I have seen reports of it happening. I believe there is a monetary limit of how much you can take into the country with you, but I would advise checking the Mexican customs website for verification.

The best advice I can give you is be organized! Know what is packed where just in case your luggage is searched. You just never know (it's totally random) but it's not worth the aggravation of not knowing what you've packed and where you packed it.

• Like 1

Everything breakable for the wedding plus my wedding dress went in one suitcase that I carried on. We handed off one carry on sized suitcase to a family member to take. We definitely could have checked that one because we each only checked one bag (and had 2 each free) but I was too paranoid checking any of the wedding stuff. That one had everything for our welcome bags and I just thought if it got lost that would completely defeat the purpose of a WELCOME bag.

We really tried to keep it to a minimum though. Every time we had an idea or thought of something else to add on I reminded myself that we'd have to lug it down there!

I was so glad that I fit my dress in the suitcase because it was one less thing to carry, and carrying a tall garment bag is not easy. I carried my sister's dress to Mexico for her DW in a garment bag and it was a huge pain. The dress ended up with wrinkles in the exact spot I had it slung over my arm!

• Like 1

I was very lucky that my travel agent was able to get us an 40kg for both of us.  In total we had 30kg x 2 + 40kg so 100kg.  That being said, even on the way back we barely made the cut off weight. ( and we thought we would have way less weight because we left most of our decor there.

One tip for PLaya del carmen, mayan riviera brides, an alternative to bringing all your decor and buying all your decor is to rent it from Katy from Love and Lace.  We rented from her and she was very nice to deal with and very patient.  We also sourced our sparklers from her as they were impossible to find anywhere.

A lot of our decor we left with her as well  it wasn't worth lugging it back and paying extra kg.

• Like 2

I brought all our items myself but I know a lot of brides who ask friends and family to help. Our airline gave us a free upgrade to first class so for my family of 4 we in total had 6 suitcases (some up to 70lbs but no way I could make one that heavy). Also know what your carry on limits are and stretch them. Ours said a suitcase and personal item - soooo I used a suitcase and large weekender bag for each of us lol. In total with my dress we had 11 bags.

I brought all Breakables and important items in carry on - dress, jewelry, under clothes for dress and shoes, etc. All the decor and OOT items were checked. I brought the maracas in carry too cause we had room. I tried to find items that weren't breakable. I think with all my decor only 2 things had glass.

In the end I had 3 for wedding and 3 for clothes basically.

Also as said above, on the way home you'd think I'd have half the amount but didn't. Was only less one suitcase as honestly dirty clothes take a lot of room lol

I left most my wedding decor items for the resort to re use.

@@acw271011 had a lot of good info on how to pack, what to prepare for in customs, etc so I won't repeat all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by calgarybride2015
  • Like 1

Great thanks so much ladies!  My biggest concern is my cake topper, but I think that will be going in a carry on so I know it's not getting tossed around.  And I like your idea, putting all the breakables in the carry on, and I don't even have that much.  I plan on using lots of bubble wrap!!

@@loubellou  

Her name is Katy and her email address is katy@loveandrum.com

Feel free to mention that Becca from Toronto recommended her.  :)

She's very kind and patient and easy to work with ! :) 

@@calgarybride2015  I just read your post and it reminded me of our luggages on the way back.  1 was wedding items, 1 was all my clothes and a mix of souvenirs and wedding items, and 2 LUGGAGES were the husbands clothes (all his) because he somehow overpacked and I didn't notice when we left.  So lesson learned, always audit the husband luggages.  hahaha 

• Like 2

We were able to pack most things into carry ons that we can bring with us on the plane. We were lucky that our family members live in the same city so all of us are bringing one wedding carry on and that takes care of most of the stuff. We've put all the fragile things in there.

For everything else that's left we haven't decided yet whether we'll pack another suitcase or whether we'll be dividing the stuff again among our family members to help us carry it all down in their suitcase. It all depends how much is left over. 

Personally I wouldn't ship anything down there because i've heard it can be somewhat unreliable. I think it would just add to your stress as to whether things get there, etc. Another way around it is trying to source things locally as much as you can, so you don't have so much to bring. 

Definitely bring your dress on the plane! I'm not sure if that was one of your questions, but I wouldn't trust my precious wedding dress to the people that check the bags...considering the declining state of the bags every time I get them back. 

• Like 1

How are you all getting your stuff to your destinations?  Are you carrying it all with you?  Are any of you shipping anything?  Our theme is starfish and I have a bunch that we will be using in one way or another at the wedding, I'm so afraid to pack it in a regular suitcase, so I am thinking now a carryon.  What is everyone else planning on doing?

hey @@RivieraBride15,

all the ladies here have given you some super great tips.  I also advice you not to ship anything here . so unreliable, or to avoid for your package arriving after the wedding.

I am sure most of you ladies have heard of KatyMK  follow link. https://www.facebook.com/loveandlacedecor?fref=ts

She pretty much accepts to buy things from brides after their weddings, and also rents tons of decor details.  

In terms of all your extra luggage, spread your luggage among your bridal party or family.   Trust me you would be surprised on how many people are willing to assisting you with all your suitcase.   

Happy Planning

Joyce

• Like 1