Photo

Does Having A Legal Ceremony Take Away From The Dw?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

@racht33 good question, I think it depends on your resort. Our resort didn't require anything to show we were already married, I would just ask, but I doubt they would require that.

Ditto. Generally if you do the symbolic there it includes the honeymoon items. Maybe if you just booked the resort for your honeymoon they may want proof because they give you tonnes of upgrades for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#32 beckys98

beckys98
  • 543 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 11, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Montego Bay

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:24 AM

I was very against getting legally married before we went to Jamaica and, in retrospect, I was wrong. I can admit it! Of course I LOVED our wedding day, but there was something very strange for us having 65 people staring at us while we took our vows. We had a first look before the ceremony so we were together and had about 15 minutes in our room together before the ceremony. We both joked that we wanted the minister to just come up to our room and marry us instead of going down! We don't love the attention.

But mostly it just felt like such a personal experience for us that I almost would have preferred that we did it more privately at home and kept it a secret. I think we would have been more relaxed as it would have taken the pressure off - and been kind of fun that we had a little secret between the two of us. I did not at all expect to feel that way!

#33 rachelia160

rachelia160
  • 296 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 17, 2015
  • Wedding Location:NOW Jade
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:59 AM

Okay, now that I'm back from my destination wedding, I can say with certainty that having a legal ceremony beforehand did NOT take away anything at all from our wedding day whatsoever!

They were two totally and completely separate experiences for us, and felt just the same as if that had been our actual legal ceremony.  It was beautiful, perfect, personal, and emotional. There wasn't a dry eye in the house when we each read our personal vows.

Photos%20In%20Cancun_739.jpg

Photos%20In%20Cancun_736.jpg

Having done the small church ceremony at home definitely took away a lot of the big scary pressure, and just left us with giddy nervous excitement that allowed us to enjoy the ceremony SO much.

Photos%20In%20Cancun_1184.jpg

So I can't speak for everyone, but from my experience, having a legal ceremony at home before your DW does not take away from your wedding day even in the slightest!

#34 RitvikSehgal

RitvikSehgal
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:50 PM

getting legal ceremony doesn't take away from DW  even its very interesting that you go for legal ceremony. mostly very few prefer this.

#35 Harper370

Harper370
    • 22 posts
    • Wedding Date:May 9, 2016
    • Wedding Location:Mexico
    • LocationUS

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:03 PM

Any idea if your marriage license will be valid if church in Mexico signs it or will I need to get married in court then the church in Mexico?

#36 Cablelove11

Cablelove11
    • 66 posts
    • Wedding Date:May 20, 2016

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

I struggle with this and know that it's just in my head but logistically it's easier to just get married before we leave. I have just always pictured "ONE" wedding day and having two seems to out a damper on it. We won't make a big deal about it or two anyone ahead of time, just a private moment between us two

#37 ashhtayy

ashhtayy
    • 607 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 7, 2016
    • Wedding Location:Azul Fives
    • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:32 PM

@Cablelove11 We're doing pretty much what you explained. We hired an officiant to come to our home and surprise marry us in front of my parents and my brother and my fiances mum and nonna who are flying in for Easter. Short and sweet. The only people that know about this are a couple of my bridesmaids :) Should be perfect and I don't think it will take away from our Mexico wedding at all - no personal vows, no ring exchange, just a formality.

#38 AdamnJenn17

AdamnJenn17
    • 161 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

it is always what you make it - and it takes alot of the hassle from the DW in places like mexico where you need a chest scan and blood work

#39 Mangosong

Mangosong
      • 170 posts
      • Wedding Date:March 20, 2017
      • Wedding Location:Costa Rica!
      • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

I guess I don't understand how having a legal ceremony at a DW and a legal ceremony is any different. We will be getting legally married during our ceremony. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users