532 replies to this topic

#101 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 7, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire, Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:35 AM

Sorry to hear your dress shopping was less than successful. I agree with @calgarybride2015 to try David's. It might not be your fanciest experience (no champagne here!) but they have so many options at so many price points. That online dress is beautiful! And also agree that if your mom had a good experience, that is a good sign. I would make sure to try on some similar dresses with the same neckline and silhouette to make sure you like the general look on you, if you haven't already. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Erin

My planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...2016/?p=1893268

My Now Sapphire review: http://www.bestdesti...riviera-cancun/

#102 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:18 PM

I bought mine at Blissful Bridal here in Calgary. Mine was $800 also with tons of beading and lace at the bottom, so you might be able to find something there. It was a sample gown, but still, sometimes you get lucky :)

I had gone to Belle & Rykiss bridal (or something like that) and while I first liked them I have to say I have changed my mind. My mom bought her dress there, she didn't have enough time to order something so she had to buy something from the floor. The lady was quite pushy and even though we mentioned a few things about the dress that either needed alterations or needed to be fixed due to the dress being tried on so many times, she assured us that she could fix them no problem and she gave us a rough quote of $100. So, my mom bought the dress. Well now she went to get a quote for alterations and all of a sudden, the changes that she said she could do, she no longer can, and they're not willing to fix the things that were kinda worn on the dress for free (such as a few stitches coming out, snags, etc). They quoted her $60 for the top of the dress and another $80 for the bottom. Both my mom and I are quite disappointed, considering the dress cost $180. Long story short, don't go there hahah, unless you find something you can order and then take it somewhere else for alterations.  

Definitely stick to only trying on dresses that are in  your budget because more expensive dresses fit very differently and you don't want to fall in love with one that you can't afford. I also felt very silly and lost on my first appointment, I felt like I didn't know what I wanted and I wasn't getting any closer. The experience was not what I had imagined at all. Just keep at it, I'm sure the second appointment will be better :)

event.png

#103 Danielle1

Danielle1
  • 125 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 20, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:53 AM

I hate that you had a bad dress shopping experience, but do not be discouraged or increase your budget!  You can find a beautiful dress in the $500-$1000 range, and you definitely don't need to look at bridesmaids dresses! I have several friends whose dresses have been around $500 (mine was $1100 - so not much outside of your budget either).  I agree that David's Bridal is a great place to try. They have a large selection of dresses under $1000. Also, if there are any consignment shops in your city try those! Sometimes they have dresses that were overstocked at a regular bridal shop, but still never worn and just for a discounted price.  The dress you posted is beautiful!

#104 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 23, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis, Riviera Maya

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:29 AM

@calgarybride2015

Thanks for the advice. I have an appointment at Davids Bridal on July 3rd so maybe I'll find something i'm lookin for. Its a shame the second store wouldn't allow pictures because that dress was $650 as is (I would need to get it cleaned and hemmed aswell though). But it had no lace and not very much sparkle :( We shall see.

@vancouverpetunia

Yeah I think I will try Davids in a few weeks. I heard Ethos in Edmonton is having a clearance sale of 80% off so I'm going to try and get there on sunday this week to see if I can find anything. I'm really torn with these online dresses though. They are so gorgeous and all the reviews are so good. They only take like 2 weeks to come in or something along those lines so I know I can wait on those a little bit longer.

@TinkerSofi

Thanks, I think on July 3rd i'm going to see if I can book a bunch of bridal shops and try on more dresses around calgary. I'm going to find out if they have dresses in my price range first. My future mother in law had a good point that i'm much smaller than the average size so I might be able to find the smaller dresses on sale for a good price. So hopefully lots of places will have their summer dresses on sale soon.

@Danielle1

Thanks I'm going to try looking at some different stores around Calgary in a couple weeks when I get some time off work. I dont want to jump into ordering an online dress and regretting my decision to not try on more dresses. I think I need to be certain on the style before ordering online.

These are the 3 dresses online that i'm debating on. All 3 are under $500 and would come custom to my size (height and all which is a bonus). I would maybe only want to alter the back because I love the lace up backs from when I tried them on on Saturday. Thoughts?

Online dress 1
online dress 2
online dress 3

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#105 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:53 AM

@yycbride2016 All 3 of those are gorgeous and I think you'd be happy with any of the 3 as long as you get to try on the style first before you order!! I sent you a message by the way with some info that might help you out. You said your mom had a good experience with this online site - which one is it? There is a whole thread here too about ordering online so just curious if your online site made it into the thread.

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#106 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

@acw271011

Thanks, I just replied to your message! The online store is called JJsHouse. I almost bought bridesmaids dresses from them but they didnt quite have the right color. But all the reviews are amazing.

These are the 3 dresses I loved the most at the bridal shop on Saturday that are all similar in style (the first and 3rd dresses are my favorite):

Lace dress
David Tuttera Dress
Asymetrical Dress

Edited by yycbride2016, 22 June 2015 - 07:39 AM.

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#107 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:24 AM

Oh my gosh I love them!!! I think #3 is my favourite but I love #1 too!! Now these ones are all out of your price range? Is that right? Or these ones are ones you found that are within your range?

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#108 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:32 AM

@acw271011 These are all out of my price range

#1 (Elegance Bridal)= $1400 + $450 alterations

#2 (David Tutera)= $1800

#3 (Sophie Toli)= $2000+

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#109 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:55 AM

Oh ouch. Yeah - I hear ya. Definitely. Do you ever watch the David Tutera show on tv? Even his website says "affordable" wedding gowns. Maybe. Just not for the average bride. lol But his styles are GORGEOUS!!!!!!! I wish I could afford one! lol Oh well.

event.png

#110 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:00 AM

I think all those are amazing choices. Out of the ones you tried I like #1 and 2 the best :) 

Be careful with JJ house. I was looking at a wedding gowns nightmare website and they were on their "avoid" list I believe, but i'm not sure if it was on the avoid list or the good list. I tried to go back and find the website to make sure but I couldn't find it. I think there's actually a thread on here where brides recommend online retailers. That might be a good place to start. For me, I just felt more comfortable trying the dresses on before buying one, but a friend got hers online and she was happy with it :)

We seem to be pretty similar in size so I'm sure you can find a sample gown on sale that will fit you :), just like I did. 

event.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016 Brides, Planning Tips, Mexico

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users