Yycbride2016 Grand Sirenis Planning Thread February 2016

@ that's good to hear. We have a room in our house (we call it the futon room because that about all it fits) and I've taken it over already with decor and OOT bag items. I think when Kyle found out how much I wanted the lanterns he gave in and felt bad that he was concerned about sizes. All my other decor I'm probably not bringing because they are too heavy. We are going to bring an extra suitcase and ask our family to help us out too! I think it'll workout. Plus we won't have the OOT bags of wedding favors, bubbles, etc. when we come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@ that's such a good idea. We get married within the first few days of arriving so I'm not sure we would have time to look in Mexico but we are also staying away from big items. We are also only making them for our wedding party. All the wedding guests will get a wedding favor as well as bubbles to blow at the ceremony so they get stuff too haha

• Like 1

The maracas were the easiest to bring actually!! I got close to 50 in a small carry on sized suitcase!!! @@yycbride2016 remind me again who you are flying with? Do they offer perks for the bride/groom? If not I would get your TA to advocate for some - especially extra luggage. We flew Air Canada and got upgraded to first class. With that and our 2 kids we got 6 suitcases included at a higher weight limit (although I tried and couldn't get a 70lbs suitcase lol). Then for carry on I brought a very large weekender type bag and a 20 inch suitcase and no one questioned it. Their website said you could have two so I ensured I had the largest size they allowed for each. So for our family of 4 that was another 8 bags!!! We didn't need them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by calgarybride2015

We got the lanterns from IKEA too haha, I have 7 of them I think and Juan also gave me that look when we started piling things up that we need to bring haha. The plan is to give each family member one to bring, that way we don't fill up one whole suitcase with this :P. Just in case, I'm wrapping them all in bubble wrap before giving them to our family members. 

• Like 1

@calgarybride215 holy! You got so much luggage. I think I need to talk to my TA because I don't even know how much it costs for an extra suitcase and I think that's why Kyle is getting nervous with all y shopping haha. We are flying with Transat and my TA didn't mention any perks for the bride and groom so I think I need to have a chat.

@@TinkerSofi I will definitely be asking family to bring stuff with them also but we don't have a very large group yet unfortunately. Including us we are at 22 (still waiting on my bridesmaid to book with her bf to make 24). I know I have to travel to the south of the city in a week or two so I'm going to see if 4 lanterns will be enough. I may just grab one extra to be on the safe side. Good idea on the bubble wrap! I plan to pack inside the lanterns too. Possibly socks or something of that size to keep them from breaking. My dad is considered the master packer in our family so he might have to come over and help me pack haha.

• Like 1

Decorations:

Lanters, Jars, Cages, Starfish

I think I am now getting close to being done with decorations! I feel like I’ve been going crazy buying things for the wedding for the past two weeks. But luckily I feel like it will come to an end soon. I’ve been way too fortunate with hitting deals though! Winners had all their beach stuff out, Michaels had 70% off all their beach themed things plus buy one get 50% off wedding stuff and a 50% off coupon this weekend!

First I got all my lanterns from IKEA. I bought 4 (mostly because I’m a little concerned about space in the suitcases, so I will have to work out my numbers to see how many tables I will have to decorate. I was also thinking of using these lanterns down the aisle and on the tables for the reception to make the most out of bringing them to Mexico with us. I found battery operated tea lights at the Dollar store that I’m going to use in them when I decorate the hall here in Calgary since I don’t think I can have actual candles there.

IKEA lanters

At Michaels I was a bit of a wild card! I found cute little bird cages to go with the lanterns for only .50 cents each, so I bought 5!

Birdcage and tea light

I also found cute little turquoise jars that I filled with crystals (I got 4 at $1.50 each). I found the most adorable Starfish stand ever!!!! It was also 70% off. (Also at Michaels)

Turqoise jar & Crystals

I also found an ampersand wooden sign at Michaels that I’m going to paint. It was also on sale. I only paid $2.99 for it! It’s perfect for our photos.

Ampersand sign

I found teal striped straws at Michaels. These were only $1.50 per pack. Good think my sister advised me to get a large number of them. My fiancé and I talked about it and weren’t quite sure how we would use them. We came up with the idea to make a custom drink in our color and serve them with these straws!

Straws

I found the perfect starfish stamp at Michaels also for only $1.50! I am going to possibly stamp the back of each envelope for our invitations!

Starfish stamp

I found a cute little chalkboard stand at (Michaels). I think it was only about $3! I’m going to wither write Mr. & Mrs on it and the date or Janelle & Kyle and the date. Not quite sure how I will design it yet, but I’ve seen a few creative ideas on pinterest on how to do it by using chalk pens. Has anyone used these before? Do they wipe off easy like regular chalk? Just wondering if I just write on it before going to Mexico or when I’m there.

Chalkboard sign

I found seashells at the dollar store. I was going to open them up to try them out in the vases and jars but it looks like they might get messy if I do that so I decided to keep them pre-packaged till we are in Mexico to use. I might end up getting another pack of them to use on the tables as decorations!

Seashells

Bubbles!!!

I found bubbles at Michaels. I used my 50% off coupon and my sister gets 15% off at Michaels as a teacher. I ended up buying 100 bubbles even though I will only need at 30. I might end up using them for the at home reception then as well but I'm undecided. I plan to tie on some teal ribbon with a little note that says:

Blow bubbles of good wishes for the new Mr. & Mrs.

Does anyone have an experience transporting bubbles to their resorts? I'm not sure how to do this yet because I don't want them to leak. I was thinking of just putting them in a ziplock bag but then I couldn't tie the tags on till I got there. Any ideas?

Bubbles!

Looks like that’s all I have to update on (I will update on the OOT bags once the mens’s bags arrive in the mail, the girls are done already!). Now time for a break! My mum arrives next week so then it will be dress shopping and invitation making!! Very excited at how this is all coming together.

• Like 8

Looks amazing so far!

I love your love for Winners and HomeSense (I work at their Head Office). Shop, Shop, Shop! The more $ you spend there, the more $ I'll have for my wedding ;) I tease...but seriously, please shop there as much as possible lol And don't forget Marshalls...they have a small home section as well and if you need more of an item, you may find it there. I saw some starfish items when I was shopping there Friday (unfortunately I am in the Toronto area so telling you the store won't help). Alberta has SO many stores so you will have no problem finding everything you need.

Great job with your Michaels coupons - you found some amazing deals! I have used the chalkboard markers...a lot. My favourite is the Bistro Calk Marker (white cap & black body). I have both the small and large marker and I prefer to use the large marker, even on small items. It totally depends on what surface you are writing on how well it sticks or smudges. I chalk board painted wine glass bottoms and wrote the girls names on them for a bachelorette and it stuck and did not smudge...until of coarse we washed them. I wrote on a plastic cup that we made into an award for a work event and it never dryed (smudged every time we touched it). I think you will be fine to pre-write on your chalk board sign but make sure you pack the marker for touch ups (justtttt in case).

Oh! And make sure you use a Michaels coupon to purchase the chalk marker because they aren't cheap!

Edited by ashhtayy
  • Like 2

@@ashhtayy

hahaha oh don't worry I am funding your wedding quite will with all my homesense/winner shopping. I'm actually wearing a cute dress and sandles I bought there this weekend :P I think I need to slow down on the decorations though or I wont have any room for clothes in my suitcase haha.

Good to know about the chalk pen! I'm excited to try it out! I'll have to wait for another 50% off coupon and go shopping. Thank goodness I have lots of time!

• Like 1

your decorations look great! and I think they'll look amazing when everything is put together. Those lanterns are such a steal right? we bought the same ones haha. I made dinner for my family last week for my birthday so I used one as a center piece hahah. 

Michael's has so many beautiful things! and with the coupons the prices are not bad at all. I had to stop going so regularly because I kept buying more and more things haha. Now I only go if I need something :)

Great job!!! All looks great.

I used real candles at the GS and they just went around and lit them for us. Thankfully they were in a holder that sheltered them from the wind. But candles are definately allowed.

If you are worried about leaking definately just pack them in a ziplock bag. Maybe have all the tags pre done and then in Mexico get some girlfriends to help attach them and it'll be done in 10 mins.

I had a girls hour the night before our meeting with the WC and we got all our stuff made and in order. I had a large ziplock bag for each table, etc and put everything per table in it with instructions written on the bag. I pre wrote the instructions back home on the bags.

• Like 1