Diadiamond's Planning Thread - Iberostar Varadero, Cuba - Sept.24.2015

I had weights and didn't use them. In the end I didn't like how they made the veil look and when it was blowing all over the place, the weights stuck to each other, so it ended up looking worse. I stayed with my veil throughout the ceremony and beach pictures and I don't regret it. Just let it blow in the wind! :) They make for some amazing pictures! I'll show you when I get them back.

I was just unlucky that the wind was from my back on the ceremony haha so it was blowing on my face. The officiant tucked it around my arm and that worked wonderfully. It was also down to my waist so she was able to do that. Then for the pictures I just let it free, for some pictures, Juan was actually holding it at the back so it didn't look like it was blowing all over :). I'm really glad I went with a veil. I think the look would have been missing something had I not had one. 

Edited by TinkerSofi
  • Like 3

How exciting!  That's a good idea to get some weights.  I think you can find some really unique and inexpensive ones on Etsy.  They might arrive on time if you order, like now...haha.

I did a last minute veil change and didn't have a second to even think about veil weights.  I did a medium length cascade veil for the ceremony and pictures and birdcage veil for the reception.  I was really happy with my choices.   :)

Thanks hun!  I'm so hesitant about ordering stuff at this stage because I'm afraid it might not arrive on time.  I also read some reviews about veil weights and some brides said that their veil still blew around or that the magnetic ones slipped off.  We are getting married just off the beach in a gazebo that is under some trees (bad description, sorry).  I'll find a picture of the gazebo and post it.  

I just finished reading your planning thread and I loved your veil and bird cage.  I think I'm just wearing the veil for the ceremony then taking it off.  

Weights are my concern, especially after seeing @@TinkerSofi and her video. Her veil really blew around! We're up on a terrace too though I don't think quite as high. Maybe it won't be an issue? (hopefully)

I saw @@TinkerSofi's wedding video too and I thought it was so cute when she tucked it under her arm, but her veil is a lot longer than mine, so I'm not sure I'd be able to tuck it under my arm.  I heard some good and bad things about veil weights on websites and TinkerSofi's comment as well. 

Although a part of me doesn't mind it blowing around, I've seen some pretty neat pictures where the bride's veil blew around and made for a cool shot.

I had weights and didn't use them. In the end I didn't like how they made the veil look and when it was blowing all over the place, the weights stuck to each other, so it ended up looking worse. I stayed with my veil throughout the ceremony and beach pictures and I don't regret it. Just let it blow in the wind! :) They make for some amazing pictures! I'll show you when I get them back.

I was just unlucky that the wind was from my back on the ceremony haha so it was blowing on my face. The officiant tucked it around my arm and that worked wonderfully. It was also down to my waist so she was able to do that. Then for the pictures I just let it free, for some pictures, Juan was actually holding it at the back so it didn't look like it was blowing all over :). I'm really glad I went with a veil. I think the look would have been missing something had I not had one. 

You looked amazing on your wedding day and the way that you had your veil tucked under your arm was so cute.  I would do the same thing too, but I think that my veil may be too short to do it =(  

I read some not so great reviews on veil weights and some of the ones I saw were super expensive too!  Also, being less than an month away from leaving I'm afraid things won't get to me in time.  I heard that sometimes they stick together and don't make the veil look good.  I also heard that your veil will still blow around with them on.  I'm okay with it blowing around for pictures.  I feel that the photographer will be able to get some awesome shots.

I can't wait to see your pictures!  

My wedding day is in one month!!! It's so unreal!  I'm excited and freaking out at the same time.  I feel like I've been waiting for this moment forever and here it is!  

We leave on September 19, 2015, which is in less than a month!!!  

My Bachelorette party was on Saturday and I had way too much fun!  I was completely surprised.  I had no idea it was happening lol.  My bridesmaids just showed up at my apartment, handed me drinks, and told me to get dressed to go out.  We drank all my favourite cocktails while getting ready (bahama mamas, cosmos, and wine).  It is really hard to put on makeup while tipsy haha.  

We ended up in downtown Toronto and went to this fabulous, cozy restaurant near Ossington and Dundas.  I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but the food was amazing!  The restaurant served Pan-Asian cuisine.  After dinner we went to a club across the street called Ballet.  It was really small and intimate which was nice =)  While I was there I saw that there were two other brides celebrating their bachelorette parties too so I got to party with them which was fun.  There were a few points where myself and the other brides got up on the stage to dance (normal me wouldn't do this, it was definitely the alcohol that motivated me).  Most of my friends left early, but one of my bridesmaids stayed with me and we partied with the other brides and their bridal parties.  

I don't have any pictures as my wallet and phone were taken from me by my bridesmaids prior to going out.  I will post pictures once I get them =p  

I had WAY too much fun and drank WAY more than I should have.  I was super hungover yesterday and I am today as well.  I didn't know that a two-day hangover was possible, but I found out through google that it is lol.  

• Like 7

Congrats on being one month away from the big day!

Your Bachelorette sounds like it was so much fun - if you had a two day hangover it must have been an awesome night! Ossington and Dundas is one of my favourite neighbourhoods for food and drinks so I'm glad you enjoyed it, and how awesome that you got to celebrate with other brides-to-be. Can't wait to see the pictures  :)

Edited by krystalball
  • Like 2

Thanks hun!  I'm so hesitant about ordering stuff at this stage because I'm afraid it might not arrive on time.  I also read some reviews about veil weights and some brides said that their veil still blew around or that the magnetic ones slipped off.  We are getting married just off the beach in a gazebo that is under some trees (bad description, sorry).  I'll find a picture of the gazebo and post it.  

I just finished reading your planning thread and I loved your veil and bird cage.  I think I'm just wearing the veil for the ceremony then taking it off.  

I saw @@TinkerSofi's wedding video too and I thought it was so cute when she tucked it under her arm, but her veil is a lot longer than mine, so I'm not sure I'd be able to tuck it under my arm.  I heard some good and bad things about veil weights on websites and TinkerSofi's comment as well. 

Although a part of me doesn't mind it blowing around, I've seen some pretty neat pictures where the bride's veil blew around and made for a cool shot.

You looked amazing on your wedding day and the way that you had your veil tucked under your arm was so cute.  I would do the same thing too, but I think that my veil may be too short to do it =(  

I read some not so great reviews on veil weights and some of the ones I saw were super expensive too!  Also, being less than an month away from leaving I'm afraid things won't get to me in time.  I heard that sometimes they stick together and don't make the veil look good.  I also heard that your veil will still blow around with them on.  I'm okay with it blowing around for pictures.  I feel that the photographer will be able to get some awesome shots.

I can't wait to see your pictures!  

My wedding day is in one month!!! It's so unreal!  I'm excited and freaking out at the same time.  I feel like I've been waiting for this moment forever and here it is!  

We leave on September 19, 2015, which is in less than a month!!!  

My Bachelorette party was on Saturday and I had way too much fun!  I was completely surprised.  I had no idea it was happening lol.  My bridesmaids just showed up at my apartment, handed me drinks, and told me to get dressed to go out.  We drank all my favourite cocktails while getting ready (bahama mamas, cosmos, and wine).  It is really hard to put on makeup while tipsy haha.  

We ended up in downtown Toronto and went to this fabulous, cozy restaurant near Ossington and Dundas.  I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but the food was amazing!  The restaurant served Pan-Asian cuisine.  After dinner we went to a club across the street called Ballet.  It was really small and intimate which was nice =)  While I was there I saw that there were two other brides celebrating their bachelorette parties too so I got to party with them which was fun.  There were a few points where myself and the other brides got up on the stage to dance (normal me wouldn't do this, it was definitely the alcohol that motivated me).  Most of my friends left early, but one of my bridesmaids stayed with me and we partied with the other brides and their bridal parties.  

I don't have any pictures as my wallet and phone were taken from me by my bridesmaids prior to going out.  I will post pictures once I get them =p  

I had WAY too much fun and drank WAY more than I should have.  I was super hungover yesterday and I am today as well.  I didn't know that a two-day hangover was possible, but I found out through google that it is lol.  

It sounds like you had a blast!! Enjoy every moment of the planning. I miss it now and every time I head down to my basement i get super melancholic, knowing that there's no more wedding projects waiting for me. The whole week went by too fast, and the wedding day went by even faster. So, enjoy. I made sure to take a few deep breaths on the wedding day and just take it all in, as other brides suggested. I'm so happy I did! I remember quite a bit from that day and I cherish those memories so much :)

I'm sure your veil will be fine! Maybe try and find a little clip or something so you can clip it on to your dress from the back. I don't know if I'm explaining myself, but let's say that your right profile is facing your guests during the ceremony, then place a clip on your left side, holding the veil to your dress. The veil will blow around a bit but it won't be on your face. I'm thinking of a little alligator clip or something like that, which would be easy to clip and then take off. You can get them from the dollar store probably. During our pictures, Juan was actually holding my veil down behind me haha, and it looked like he was" hugging me" :P

Funny story (and kind of unrelated), one of our guests has a son who will be getting married in about 2 years. They were considering a DW wedding as well, and I was so happy to hear that when our guest came back and spoke with them she was like "do it! it was awesome!" hahah. I'm so excited for you to head down there and experience a DW. I am beyond happy that Juan pushed me to do this! :D (Initially i wasn't sold on the whole DW idea). 

• Like 2

It sounds like you had a blast!! Enjoy every moment of the planning. I miss it now and every time I head down to my basement i get super melancholic, knowing that there's no more wedding projects waiting for me. The whole week went by too fast, and the wedding day went by even faster. So, enjoy. I made sure to take a few deep breaths on the wedding day and just take it all in, as other brides suggested. I'm so happy I did! I remember quite a bit from that day and I cherish those memories so much :)

I'm sure your veil will be fine! Maybe try and find a little clip or something so you can clip it on to your dress from the back. I don't know if I'm explaining myself, but let's say that your right profile is facing your guests during the ceremony, then place a clip on your left side, holding the veil to your dress. The veil will blow around a bit but it won't be on your face. I'm thinking of a little alligator clip or something like that, which would be easy to clip and then take off. You can get them from the dollar store probably. During our pictures, Juan was actually holding my veil down behind me haha, and it looked like he was" hugging me" :P

Funny story (and kind of unrelated), one of our guests has a son who will be getting married in about 2 years. They were considering a DW wedding as well, and I was so happy to hear that when our guest came back and spoke with them she was like "do it! it was awesome!" hahah. I'm so excited for you to head down there and experience a DW. I am beyond happy that Juan pushed me to do this! :D (Initially i wasn't sold on the whole DW idea). 

I had way too much fun lol!  I'll always cherish what I can remember of it haha.  Awww, I'm sure there's still some things to do after the wedding right?  I'm worried that the whole trip will just fly by too fast.  I'm also hoping that me and Dan can get some alone time while we're down there.  I'm starting to wish that I booked 10 days instead of just 7.  Did you and Juan get any time to yourselves?  

I can't believe I'm now counting down the days.  It's weird, but I already feel a little sad and I miss certain parts of planning.  I'm not looking forward to the wedding blues.  

I saw your wedding video on UStream so I understand what you mean about my profile on the wedding day.  I read your experience about the veil weights and decided not to do them.  I'm going to take your advice with the clip and just clip it on the side the guests can't see.  

My fiance was the one that also sold me on a DW as he liked the price of a DW v.s a traditional wedding.  I thought DW's were cool, but I didn't think it was for me at first, then when I actually saw one (I wasn't a guest at one I was a creep on vacation and decided to watch a couple get married on the beach) I thought it was something I could do if I for some reason couldn't have a traditional wedding.  Since I've started planning our DW I've never looked back on that decision and I know that in the end it will be just perfect and I would never regret it.     

• Like 2

@@diadiamond  Glad to hear the bachelorette was a good time!! Any party where you can at least remember part of it is a good one! I think I've had one hangover in my life - well actually 2 now that I think about it. One was a banana liqueur new year's eve one and the other was Mexico. Senor Frogs in Playa del Carmen. We're talking Mexican wrestlers.... and a conga line. And we have the pics to prove it sadly. We were at Catalonia Royal Tulum. The cab driver actually rolled the window down in the back of the cab on the way back to the resort. My husband says I sang all the way through the lobby when we got back (I did not!!!) but he likes to tell everyone that I did. I remember getting really upset because the conga line went right past a tequila stand where you had to open your mouth for a shot as you went by and I absolutely HATE tequila!! lol I was in a little bit of pain the next day but there was no way I was going to let Doug see! lol But I have never had a 2 day hangover! Ouch!! lol

@@TinkerSofi  I'm very happy you stopped "to smell the roses" on your wedding day. You're so right - it does go by way too quickly. We arrived in Jamaica on Saturday but didn't get married until Thursday, then back home on Saturday so that was a really wicked week. I was heartbroken to come home because it felt like we didn't get enough time there! lol

@  I don't think you'll have a let down after your wedding at all! You'll be so busy being a "newlywed" that you won't have time for wedding blues!! You'll be busy with thank you cards and you also have Christmas coming up when you get home so you'll be a very busy lady!! It will all be fine, you'll see. You're just going to be so happy being married you won't even think about it!!

• Like 3

@@acw271011 OMG I may have LOL!!! The folks at Señor Frogs can pour a drink. I will leave out the pics from Vegas but let's just say we had fun. I swear Shawn's yard drink (50oz??!) was straight tequila!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

@@acw271011 OMG I may have LOL!!! The folks at Señor Frogs can pour a drink. I will leave out the pics from Vegas but let's just say we had fun. I swear Shawn's yard drink (50oz??!) was straight tequila!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah.... we've got a few stories about yards! We have about 8 of them on our bar in the basement and about a dozen of the coloured plastic shot glasses! lol In fact we left Senor Frogs in Mazatlan going back to a cruise ship carrying yards in the taxi back to the pier and sang our little hearts out the whole way back!! lmao and I have attached a photo of my darling husband from that little adventure! But you aren't allowed to tell him that I posted here! I will never hear the end of it!! lol

IMG_3075.JPG

• Like 4