When I was planning my destination wedding in Cancun (it was held in March 2015), the ONE thing I was concerned about was my hair! I have long, type 3A/3B hair. I can control it at home, where the humidity is 20% on average, but it gets frizzy and wild in high humidity. I talked to SO many vendors down in the Cancun area who said "oh yea, we've worked with curly hair before, it's no problem" but I didn't trust any of them... they didn't seem to understand MY hair. Seriously, my hair was my one source of stress during the wedding planning process.

Well, it IS possible to tame crazy frizzy hair down in Mexico! The woman who did my hair (Esperanza from Styling Trio) went through every single one of my curls with a curling iron, which took forever but eliminated all of the frizz and made distinct, individual curls. Then she used Paul Mitchell hair mousse to hold it, pinned it up, and sprayed it with Paul Mitchell hair spray. 

A warning, though... I had my hair down but kind of tied together (not a braid, but the hair was folded over itself so it was in a mass). I wouldn't suggest using this technique and then wearing your hair completely down, because the wind will blow it all apart.

So to all you curly-haired brides: don't fret!

post-279572-0-76003000-1430457099_thumb.jpg

post-279572-0-50784900-1430457103_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Your hair looks amazing!!! I wish i had the hair to make it even look like that!!! :) Im debating hairdos due to wind and heat. Getting married in Aug. so Humidity and frizz is a huge factor for me. She did an amazing job on your hair!!!!

@@KelDee Your hair looked beautiful!

My hair type is very similar to yours and I've been struggling with how I want to wear it on my big day. It frizzes really quickly in humidity (and wind doesn't help either), but I would love to have it down somewhat to show off my curls. Because of the texture, my hair holds really well when styled, so it would be easy to do an updo... but I would still love to incorporate the curls....

Thanks for your post - you've given me some food for thought and some ideas on how to keep my curls looking pretty in the mexican heat!

• Like 1

When I was planning my destination wedding in Cancun (it was held in March 2015), the ONE thing I was concerned about was my hair! I have long, type 3A/3B hair. I can control it at home, where the humidity is 20% on average, but it gets frizzy and wild in high humidity. I talked to SO many vendors down in the Cancun area who said "oh yea, we've worked with curly hair before, it's no problem" but I didn't trust any of them... they didn't seem to understand MY hair. Seriously, my hair was my one source of stress during the wedding planning process.

Well, it IS possible to tame crazy frizzy hair down in Mexico! The woman who did my hair (Esperanza from Styling Trio) went through every single one of my curls with a curling iron, which took forever but eliminated all of the frizz and made distinct, individual curls. Then she used Paul Mitchell hair mousse to hold it, pinned it up, and sprayed it with Paul Mitchell hair spray. 

A warning, though... I had my hair down but kind of tied together (not a braid, but the hair was folded over itself so it was in a mass). I wouldn't suggest using this technique and then wearing your hair completely down, because the wind will blow it all apart.

So to all you curly-haired brides: don't fret!

Your hair looks stunning!!!! So beautiful!!!  Do you have a picture from the front and side?  I need some ideas for my wedding day hair. :)

I also have long, thick, 3A/B curl type too and am SOOOOO stinkin nervous about my hair too!  My hair can become a giant frizzy POOFY mess!  Whenever we travel to Mexico I always bring so much product with me!  I've been going back and forth about doing my own hair but have hired Sara Tamargo's partner for hair.

Did you style your hair normally first and then have the stylist work their magic after?  I'm not sure if I should style and air dry as normal or just let them style it completely.  I should probably ask about this... 

Thanks for posting this!!!

@@MissFrench I was told not to wash your hair the day of your wedding as that day old hair can help to keep it styled.

The day before I showered before dinner and didn't use any product, except minimal hairspray. I just woke up and went and they worked their magic. I have frizzy thick hair too but had an updo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by calgarybride2015
  • Like 1

@MissFrench: I was told by several people not to wash my hair the day of because "dirty" hair will stay put better than "clean" hair. But I ignored them... I was concerned about my hair getting frizzy during the night (from the humidity and from tossing around on my pillow). If you have type 3A/3B curly hair like I do, then you probably have a lot of texture to your hair. For both my trial and the day of the wedding, I showered that morning, and the hair stylists had no problem working with my hair. And it stayed put all night. So that's what I'd suggest. 

What I did the morning of the wedding: in the shower that morning I used a TON of conditioner. I mean a TON! For my hair, which goes past my shoulder blades, I pretty much filled my entire palm with conditioner. And I just kept working it through my hair until all the tangles were gone and there were no rough spots. The key is to just barely over-saturate your hair... the more moisturized your hair is, the less it will need to pull from the air. So you want the conditioner to completely soak in, but at the end of working it through your hair you want a tiny bit left in your hands. I hope that makes sense, I probably didn't explain that very well  ;)

Then, while my hair was still sopping wet, I applied the gel. At home, I normally use non-silicone based hair products. But they're just not effective down in the humid Cancun air. So I used the silicone-based Catwalk Curls Rock Amplifier. 4 pumps did it for me. Then I just let it air-dry. As it dried, my hair became really hard and crunchy. So before the stylist started working on it, I broke some of the crunch... I left some, thinking that as she was working with my hair she'd break they rest.

As it was drying, I purposefully stayed indoors to prevent frizz, which meant that it took a really long time for my hair to dry. The stylist started working on my hair at about noon and it still wasn't dry (I showered at 9am), so she had to blow-dry it for about 15 minutes before she could start. So fyi.

Sorry, that was a long-winded answer to your question  :blink: . I was just trying to be helpful since I completely understand your concern! Here's another another photo of the side. The hair stylist was the one who suggested the flowers... she just grabbed them out of the bouquet!

post-279572-0-51215000-1430788740_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful hair, KelDee - thx for your detailed sharing - it's bound to help the other brides facing the same challenge :)

Yes, the humidity and wind are big factors in a beach wedding, and it's so interesting to see all the different solutions beach brides come up with! We also agree that Styling Trio works magic, and have seen it many times :)

Thx again for sharing - your hair looks amazing!!! cheers - team MTM :)

.....more magical wedding "moments that matter" Linc captured with Styling Trio.....enjoy :)

856594_10151439479994487_1820231703_o.jp

856614_10151439480989487_324858513_o.jpg

313862_10151439484439487_381649480_n.jpg

884535_10151439486639487_1076782551_o.jp

Edited by Moments That Matter

@@KelDee THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!  Your hair texture looks very similar to mine when I wear it natural.  Mine is also long and falls to the middle of my back.  I will do the same as you, shower, style, air dry.  Good tip about the conditioner! I really, truly appreciate this! 

And your wedding hair is beautiful!

Edited by MissFrench