335 replies to this topic

#61 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 7, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire, Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:09 PM

@calgarybride2015 No, I totally get it. I just wasn't sure if "man! Maybe I should have scoped out their colors" was meaning "man! it was ugly" or "man! I loved it" LOL

Edited by vancouverpetunia, 17 May 2015 - 05:10 PM.

- Erin

My planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...2016/?p=1893268

My Now Sapphire review: http://www.bestdesti...riviera-cancun/

#62 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:42 AM

What a beautiful dress! I love your choice and the wedges are perfect :)

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#63 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:43 AM

I find colors always look darker in our amateur pictures :). I like the Oasis more, but that's just me because I love blue :). They're both very pretty though. 

Initially I told my bridesmaids they could pick whichever dress they liked as long as it was the color I had picked. They all ended up choosing the same hahah. 

event.png

#64 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:11 PM

Flower Update

I'm still struggling with this a bit in terms of colors/specific flowers, but I feel like I am getting a better idea of what I want. (see original post here: http://www.bestdesti...016/?p=1894005)

I think I may get my girls clutches instead of bouquets. The bouquets are at least $65 each, depending on the flowers I chose (luckily I only need 2 bouquets), but I could get clutches for the same price and at least they may get some future use. I really love flowers, but throwing away $130? Ugh.

I was thinking of doing this on the tables:

centerpiece 1

But my WC informed me that they want $90 per vase! Seriously? It might be $10 worth of product in there. And you know that the people putting it together are making next to nothing. Ridiculous! 

They also want $120 to fill 20 individual vases with flowers (vases not included - I was going to rent them myself from KatyHK). I'm not sure which flowers they mean - the regular kind included with my package or something fancier (since I have asked about both). I do get a centerpiece with my package valued at $125, so I believe I could apply the $125 against that. 

So now I'm thinking of doing this: rectangular tables with individual limes down the center, maybe some leaves if I can get them, punctuated with about 7 vases with individual flowers. I figured I can get the limes locally for cheap and maybe I can even get the resort to ask the gardeners to put aside some of their trimmings (???). Something like this with the limes:

lime table runner

And then add in one of these vases every foot or two:

centerpiece 4
(but I would be using different flowers and no purple vases, but some blue/green and clear)

I figure I might have to pay an extra $75 to get a few more flowers, the vases will cost me about $50 to rent and the limes - well I don't know, but let's be generous and say $50. So $175 to do 4 tables as compared to around $375 to do one vase with limes and have some individual flower vases (factoring in my $125 centerpiece credit). Even if they charge me a set up fee (so far they've quoted me $100 x 2 to set up a couple of different things), I'll be ahead and I think the decor would have more impact spread down the table like that.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations on how to make friends with the gardeners when I don't speak Spanish?  :D

Edited by vancouverpetunia, 23 May 2015 - 01:13 PM.

- Erin

#65 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,505 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

Have you thought of bringing your own vases? I'm sure you could find plastic ones but some of those colorful ones wouldn't take up much space in carry on if they were glass. Since you get 2 bags each on the plane it may not be too much of a burden. I bet you can get those at the dollar store for cheap cheap or Walmart! I've seen them there.

Prices are ludacris. Thankfully I brought my own stuff and the bouquets I did order were $30 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by calgarybride2015, 23 May 2015 - 01:38 PM.

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#66 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:50 PM

@calgarybride2015 I probably could find some cheap vases to bring, but honestly I'm really trying not to bring much with me. It's my incentive to keep things simple and keep costs down :D If I can't do it through the resort at a reasonable cost (which is almost nothing), I just won't do it! (famous last words) KatyHK could rent me some vases. I can't remember the cost - maybe $5 each? And my WC did say I could supply my own limes. But then he said I would have to put the whole thing together. Which isn't hard, but I'm not sure it's something I want to be dealing with on my wedding day (or asking anyone else to deal with). I'm really starting to like the idea of the lime runner anyhow! 

- Erin

#67 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,505 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

@calgarybride2015 I probably could find some cheap vases to bring, but honestly I'm really trying not to bring much with me. It's my incentive to keep things simple and keep costs down :D If I can't do it through the resort at a reasonable cost (which is almost nothing), I just won't do it! (famous last words) KatyHK could rent me some vases. I can't remember the cost - maybe $5 each? And my WC did say I could supply my own limes. But then he said I would have to put the whole thing together. Which isn't hard, but I'm not sure it's something I want to be dealing with on my wedding day (or asking anyone else to deal with). I'm really starting to like the idea of the lime runner anyhow!

You could always put them together before hand (well I guess if you rent them maybe not) and they are pre done. Scrap that!

Ack I see your struggles.

I really loved the lime runner and you could probably find those leaves at michaels or the like for super cheap if you didn't wanna use real ones (ie friend the gardener). That's probably the cheapest option?! And it's unique.

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#68 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

The Dress

I very unexpectedly said yes to the dress today!  :D I wanted a short dress and was actually leaning towards a BM dress. Given that you don't need as much time to order BM dresses, I wasn't going to do anything about it until the fall (hopefully lose some weight between now and then!). But I've been wanting to get an idea of what I want and I wanted to be sure that I didn't want a more traditional wedding dress where I would need more time to get it ordered. So I have been to a few bridal stores. 

Today I hit up David's. I was skeptical. So many mixed reviews about the place. But they have a few really cute short dresses on their web site and the price point is great - around $200 for the ones I liked. It was the first one I tried and it was not what I thought I was looking for (typical, right?). It was tank style and fully beaded. I thought I wanted a-line and lace and/or chiffon. 

It's been discontinued and there are only 8 left in Canada, so I walked out with it today! I'll need to have the straps taken up a bit and I might need to have it taken in, depending on how much weight I lose, but it's a pretty good fit right now. 

I also ended up getting shoes! Wedges with an ankle strap and rhinestones across the toes. Those had to be ordered in, as the pair in stock had marks on it. I can't believe it will take 10 weeks?!? Not that I'm in any hurry.

So, with no further ado... the dress (and shoes)!

Oh and it was marked down from $249 to $179. Even better.

That is so pretty and it looks gorgeous on you! I don't know you, but the dress is definitely "you" (sorry if that sounds dumb) and I really like the shoes!! When I got married 4 years ago I got my dress from David's and it was perfect at the time for what we had going. I went to the store in Niagara Falls NY and they were great. Busy like crazy because they had a big sale on but it overall was a good experience.

I love the Oasis as well but I was bent on turquoise so I'm going with Malibu. I looked at Horizon and Pool but the Malibu just worked with what I had in mind. The other is Begonia. I love it and I love the 2 together.

Your flower ideas are so pretty! Geez - the more I read through these threads the more I realize how much I missed out on the creative genes. I must have been in the bathroom when God handed them out.....

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#69 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 23, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis, Riviera Maya

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

Like so many other brides before me, it would seem, I wasn’t going to do a planning thread. But I have seen how helpful they can be to others, as well as it’s a great way to solicit ideas for your own planning. Not to mention, I think it will help me stay on track. So here goes…

How We Met

We met at a destination wedding at Dreams Tulum in Nov 2010. I was there for my co-worker and he came as his buddy’s “plus one”. Jeff knew the wedding couple and a lot of the guests, but he wasn’t close enough to be invited. In a sense we were both outsiders, since I was a friend from work, and while I knew many of the bride’s friends, I was not close to any of them. It turned out that it didn’t matter - we made fast friends and had so much fun over the course of that week.

He followed me around like a puppy dog the entire week! (I hope he never reads this - he will kill me :rolleyes: ) Because I had not been to an all-inclusive before and I generally like more active vacations, plus the fact that I wasn’t super tight with the group, I had booked a couple of excursions on my own. Jeff’s friend “volunteered” him to come with me on one. Thank goodness he did. I was so hungover. I wouldn’t have made it back down the Coba pyramid without him!

But I wasn’t interested. I really liked him. We got along so well and he made me laugh. But I wasn’t into him. I was recently out of a relationship that ended badly, so I’m sure that was part of it. Strangely, he’s quite shy by nature, but he was NOT shy with me. He made his intentions clear from the start, but I wasn’t going there.

Anyhow, fast forward a year. I finally emailed him to send him photos from the Coba excursion (he conveniently forgot his camera). I suggested drinks, thinking that since a year had past, maybe we could now be friends. And here we are almost 3.5 years later.

The Proposal

We had been talking about getting married. We had been talking about rings. I inherited a ring from my grandma that is really ugly (and not an antique or anything I want to keep for sentimental reasons), but has some diamonds and gold that I suggested he use to have a ring custom made. That was a little too intimidating for him, I guess. :wacko: He told me to go ring shopping with a girlfriend, which I did, but didn’t tell him about. One night, after many drinks, and him complaining about not knowing what to do about a custom ring, I tossed a business card at him with 3 model numbers printed on it. That was summer 2014.

We had a big trip planned to Spain and France in Sept 2014. I thought he might propose. But as the days passed in Barcelona, nothing. I was trying not to expect it, because I didn’t want to be disappointed. Then towards the end of our trip, the two of us alone in a ruined castle tower in the South of France, he whipped out the ring and proposed. I forgot to say “yes”. I said “thank you” instead, because I had this pretty “gift” he was giving me. He had to clarify. LOL. He had the ring in his wallet the whole time - walking around Barcelona, pickpocket central. I still can’t believe it.

The Destination

We considered a local wedding (or somewhat local). I wanted something very casual - maybe a BBQ in a park? But public parks don’t allow booze! So now what? We thought about going to the Okanagan, which is like Canada’s Napa Valley for those who aren’t familiar with it. We’ve done an annual trip there 3 years running, and I grew up in the area, but no longer have any friends or family there. But it just wasn’t quite right.

We’d also been to the Riviera Maya twice since we originally met. It is our go-to place for a relaxing, easy getaway. Plus we met there, so it just seemed right. We’ve now been there a total of 4 times together, having just returned from another trip last week. And we both had so much fun at the wedding at Dreams Tulum. I hope ours is just as good!

Resorts

I started doing research on resorts in late November, I think. I also contacted a destination wedding travel agent in probably December, who further helped with the research. We considered Grand Princess (we’d previously been there on vacation), Grand Palladium, Ocean Coral & Turquesa, all 3 Azul properties (Beach, Sensatori & Fives), plus Now Jade and Now Sapphire. It was really tough finding the right combination of resort and wedding package, while trying to consider our guests and their needs as well. I have a huge spreadsheet with all the details in it for comparing resorts. Although it’s still early in the planning stages for me, I think choosing the resort was the toughest part of the whole process.

For various reasons we narrowed it down to Now Jade, Now Sapphire and Ocean Coral & Turquesa. In mid-January, we put down a deposit with the TA and she got quotes from those three for travel packages (air + hotel + transfers). OCT was a bit cheaper, but it’s not as highly rated either in stars or reviews as the Now properties. If it had been a lot cheaper, I would have considered it. It was tough to choose between the 2 Now properties, but Sapphire was a little bit cheaper, seemed to have a more “Mexican feel” to it, which I wanted, and I also have a colleague who was married there 2 years ago who had a great experience. We booked Now Sapphire at the end of Feb.

Guests

We invited 62 adults plus some kids. Of course, we knew some would not come. I was thinking we might end up around 40 - 50. At this point, I think it may be closer to 30 - 40, which I actually prefer. We currently have 33 people who have said they are coming (plus a few kids), as well as 12 who have said they are not. I don’t know about the other 17, but suspect not many will come. Of the 33, 11 have put down a deposit. Our booking deposit deadline is May 15.

Save the Date

We sent a simple email with links to our wedding web site (http://erinandjeff.weddingwoo.com/) and attachments including travel details. We have an RSVP form on our web site, which I built in Google Forms. I’m not planning to send paper STDs, but I think I will send paper invitations.

Obviously we have almost a year until our wedding, so plenty of time to plan and work on all those little touches. But I’m a planner and our wedding is my new obsession, so stay tuned for more updates soon, I’m sure!

OMG!!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who said "thank you" hahaha it's such a joke between my FI and I. I grew up abroad and we met when I came back to Canda for university, so he always says I'm so foreign. Because I said thank, you he jokes that it's a language barrior thing (even though we both speak the same first language hahaha). Congrats though! Super special!

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#70 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

Haha! I thought I was the only one! I didn't mention that because I had this ring that I inherited that might have "turned into" my e-ring, I was totally expecting a token ring. A silver band or something. He had joked about giving me an onion ring! So when it was a real ring, I was really shocked. And therefore the "thank you"... for a real ring.

Edited by vancouverpetunia, 29 May 2015 - 09:07 PM.

- Erin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016 Brides, Cancun Riviera Maya, BDW Newbies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users