335 replies to this topic

#191 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 7, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire, Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:19 PM

@perianjay, @calgarybride2015, @yycbride2016, @snswedding2016 Thanks, ladies, for all of your great feedback! It's starting to feel real now!

I'm leaning towards the belt below rather than the one I tried on. Just a little more subtle. Also from my wedding dress Etsy vendor and, in fact, I'm pretty sure it is ON my wedding dress in this photo. Haha.

Attached File  belt.PNG   526.38KB   9 downloads

Regarding hair... all very good points. I forgotten the "dirty" hair trick, but I don't know if it will be enough. Maybe I will have a trial with my own hairdresser to see how it holds here and/or to try out an up-do. Jeff really doesn't want me to do anything with my hair (boys!). He wants me to look like me and I do to a point as well, but I also want something a bit special. 

For my BMs, I'm still not sure. I like the idea of offering one spa service - but I would like them to choose, as I think one would prefer professional make-up and the other hair. If I do that, I will probably just stick with that as the gift, along with the robes. I wasn't planning to do anything special for the ladies (or anyone) not golfing. I figure it's nice enough to have a break from our guys haha. There will also be quite a few of the guys who don't go. Those who do go will be footing their own bill. We are paying for a yacht excursion for anyone who wants to go in lieu of welcome bags. 

Thanks for the comments about the bachelorette & shower. I'm not super comfortable with either, but I'm sure they will both be fun, so I've decided to go for it :) It's nice to be pampered and hopefully it only happens once LOL

Since my last update, I've found out that we will get about a $5000 credit from Transat, which is great. It means our entire trip will be free. But it also means we will have about $1100 extra in credit which apparently can only be applied against travel that has already been paid for. So I guess we credit it to some (or all) of our guests? This was not made clear to me originally, so I was planning to pocket that money and use it towards wedding costs. I'm a bit irritated about that, but least our trip is free! YAY.

I also wanted some advice on what to wear to our legal wedding. I was thinking of wearing my BM dress from my sister's wedding a few years back, but I don't know if it is too summery (given that we will have the legal ceremony in early March). I also don't know if it fits (and it's in off-site storage), but I would love your feedback on the dress and if you think it could work, I will dig it out and try it on. 

Attached File  IMG_2025.JPG   94.9KB   11 downloads

Edited by vancouverpetunia, 25 January 2016 - 05:19 PM.

- Erin

My planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...2016/?p=1893268

My Now Sapphire review: http://www.bestdesti...riviera-cancun/

#192 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,505 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

I think both belts look great so def go with what is more your taste!

You could also consider a trial in Mexico with your hair down to see if it holds. Then make the final call on the wedding day!?

Ohhhhhh I must have missed (or forgotten sorry) that you were doing a yacht excursion. That's so fantastic !!! That is more than enough for sure!!!! I thought maybe the golf was the guys gift :)

I feel your struggle with the spa given the girls may want different things.

That's awesome for the credit. I feel your frustration on how the credit works! It's still great you got your trip free. Maybe take the rest and split is amongst everyone?!

The dress is summery but personally you look great in it and I would wear it in March :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#193 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:38 PM

Just one tip with hair. Definitely like @calgarybride2015 suggested, I'd try it prior to the big day. One of my regrets was my hair choice. I wanted big pretty curls and my hair went flat in minutes. My hair usually holds curls extremely well.. So much so that I don't use hairspray usually, but on my wedding day nothing would keep the curls in for me. That Damn Mexican heat! Haha

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#194 deecol

deecol
  • 787 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 30, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Grand Bahia Principe Coba, Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:47 AM

Your dress turned out really beautiful @vancouverpetunia!

Edited by deecol, 26 January 2016 - 03:49 AM.

event.png

My Planning Thread:

http://www.bestdesti...6/#entry1904529

#195 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:56 PM

Hello ladies! Hope you are having a productive weekend :) I bought most of my jewelry yesterday and wanted to share.

Bracelet from The Bay $25. This was attached to a box, so I wasn't able to try it on in the store (I should have asked). It's quite large on me. Not enough to fall off, but it flips around a lot so that the rhinestones are backwards. Not sure if I should return it and keep looking. Thoughts?

Attached File  FullSizeRender (3).jpg   91.55KB   7 downloads

2 headband options from Claire's $23 (they have a "buy one get one for $5" sale right now). I'm not sure if I will keep these either. The more I think/ask/read about hair options, I think I need to put it back, or partially back. I was thinking I would have it curled and use a headband to keep it off my face, but I don't think the curls will stay. And I don't want it just pulled back with the headband, but straight. Too boring. 

Attached File  FullSizeRender (5).jpg   99.71KB   8 downloads

Attached File  FullSizeRender (4).jpg   115.81KB   7 downloads

Earrings from Blue Ruby $75. I decided to splurge on these since I have, on occasion, wished that I had fancy rhinestone earrings, so I think I will wear them again. They are sterling silver and they really sparkle. Hard to tell in the photo.

Attached File  FullSizeRender (6).jpg   100.53KB   7 downloads

So... I guess only the earrings are the only items set in stone. I'm thinking something simple like the screenshots below for my hair, and adding some sort of pin or comb. Does anyone know what kind of accessory it would be that would fit into the area where the hair is pulled together at the back?

Attached File  hair 3.JPG   45.61KB   7 downloads

Attached File  hair 2.JPG   25.73KB   8 downloads

- Erin

#196 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 23, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis, Riviera Maya

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

@vancouverpetunia that is a really cute dress and would work perfectly! I think it's up to you and what look you are going for that day. I'm going to wear a short white lace dress that I got for my bridal shower and Kyle will wear dress pants and a dress shirt. We don't want to make it into a big deal because it won't be the real wedding to us, it's purely a legality for us.

I love that bracelet is really pretty and such a good deal! My bracelet turns round too but I have really small wrists so it's inevitable. I really like the first headband by my motto is more bling is better! Haha those earrings are also amaze balls! I love them!

The hair is really pretty too! It's sophisticated and not too fancy making you look too different. I'm sure your fi will love it! You could get rhinestone Bobby pins to do this look and that would be really pretty!

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#197 ashhtayy

ashhtayy
  • 607 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 7, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:56 PM

@vancouverpetunia

Good job with the accessory purchases this weekend! I like my bracelets to fit pretty snug so it would likely bother me that it was a little big and that the rhinestones keep flipping. If you love the bracelet why don't you look into seeing if someone can size it for you? It goes so well with your earrings that I think resizing rather than relooking may be a great alternative.

I really like the hair photos you posted. My girlfriend has long hair but did just that for her wedding and it looked great. She had a brooch from her grandmother that she had made into a hair pin for the back. Something old! Anything sentimental you may want to try and use? Hers was a bit heavy but we just fixed it a few times throughout the night and it looked great. Rhinestone bobby pins are also a great idea @yycbride2016! They would look great especially if used with the first style.

#198 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

@yycbride2016 My wrists are tiny, too! And rhinestone bobby pins are a great idea. I don't know why I didn't of that. 

@ashhtayy Also a great idea to possibly getting the bracelet shortened. I'll have to look into that. That's so sweet that your friend had her grandma's brooch remade into a hair accessory! I love that idea, but I don't think I have anything that would work. 

So tonight I tried on a bunch of dresses I have in my closet. Most of these I haven't worn more than a couple of times - if that. I think one I've never worn (well, actually 2, but I just bought the other one). I work in a casual office, so jeans with boots & a nice top is fancy. But I love dresses and I'm pretty excited because a few months ago these didn't fit very well, but I'm really happy to say they do now. I'm thinking I should wear one of these for my legal ceremony. I don't really want to make too big a fuss about it, and Jeff hasn't even seen me wear most of these dresses, so any of them should work. Which do you like the best? Sorry for the bad photos.

Attached File  FullSizeRender (11).jpg   86.12KB   12 downloads

Attached File  FullSizeRender (10).jpg   89.54KB   12 downloads

Attached File  FullSizeRender (9).jpg   92.76KB   12 downloads

Attached File  FullSizeRender (8).jpg   83.3KB   12 downloads

Attached File  FullSizeRender (7).jpg   122.98KB   12 downloads

- Erin

#199 krystalball

krystalball
  • 227 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 9, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:55 PM

@vancouverpetunia I love all of those dresses so much! They fit you perfectly and are so flattering - I would never guess that you don't wear them all the time.

I really think you can't go wrong with any of those choices, but my fave is probably #3 - mainly because I love that dress and would probably wear that myself if I owned it. Speaking of which - brand? lol

I'm getting married two days after you and need to get my butt in gear with this legal marriage stuff. Need to figure out the where and when before it's too late and I'm packing for Mexico. Time is flying by!

event.png

#200 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

@krystalball Thanks for the compliment :) Okay, you are the second vote for #3! :) That and #4 are Ralph Lauren. The others are Calvin Klein. Yes, I am a creature of habit. BTW - The Bay has a lot of great dresses, including similar RL ones, on sale right now. Or at least they did in Vancouver a week ago.

I am finalizing our legal wedding practically as I type! I emailed a bunch of marriage commissioners this morning. One got back to me right away and I got a good feel from her email. I'm not too concerned with who we use, as long as they are "normal" LOL, since we aren't considering this to be our real wedding. Just waiting for the restaurant to confirm our reservation and then it's a go!

- Erin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016 Brides, Cancun Riviera Maya, BDW Newbies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users