jaspbri0317

Realistic Budget?

I'm trying to come up with some kind of savings plan and first things first...I need to set a budget!

We've decided on Mexico and we are estimating 20-25 guests at the most. I definitely want the ceremony and reception on the beach, a cocktail hour, and a DJ. 

Is $7,000 a realistic budget? (I'm factoring in our flights and stay, wedding package, and about $500 for DIY decorations.)

Hey jaspbri0317,

You budget seems doable with the number of guests, the main factor depends on  your wedding package you will select as this differ from hotel to hotel.  

Happy Planning!

• Like 1

Have you picked a resort? When looking at resorts we found that the more expensive resorts had more inclusions/better wedding packages. Seems the cheaper resorts nickel and dime for every little thing (one wanted a "separation fee" $300 to have more than an hour between ceremony and reception). We chose Now Jade because they had great wedding packages, we are paying less than 7000 and got a great rate for our guests to boot :-)

These girls are totally right! We're spending about double, for double the guests (this is also accounting for everything). The good thing is that with that amount of guests you have a lot more choices in resorts, and for many you can use their free wedding packages and upgrade a few things only. That really helps with keeping costs down. 

Just don't get sucked into pinterest weddings! hahah, worst thing that happened to me :P

Sometimes it is really the vendors that take up a whole chunk of your budget, for example between photographer and Dj you could be looking at 2-3K just for that. Then you have to start prioritizing and maybe, for example not hire a DJ (this is what we did), or hiring a photographer for less hours rather than the whole day, etc.

Also, be aware of unexpected expenses and plan for that, so if you really don't want to spend more than $7000, aim to keep your wedding at $6000 and have $1000 of cushioning just in case. For example, for us, the Canadian dollar went downhill in the middle of the planning and now we need to take that into account.

Overall, I definitely think you can work with that budget though. As I always tell people, you can always work with any budget! It's only a matter of what you want and expect for this wedding and of course, the smaller the budget, the more cuts you might have to make on certain things, but it's still doable :). The most important thing, after you set your budget, create a priority list. It will help to keep things in perspective. 

Our budget was 10K. We are at 21K. Our major expenses were airfare and hotel, photographer & DJ. however, anything related to wedding is in this number. Rings, dress, veil, grooms tux. Gifts for bridal party...i think you can do it. We also have 106 guets

Our budget was 10K. We are at 21K. Our major expenses were airfare and hotel, photographer & DJ. however, anything related to wedding is in this number. Rings, dress, veil, grooms tux. Gifts for bridal party...i think you can do it. We also have 106 guets

$21k at 106 guests is beyond impressive. And the guest total has to be one of the largest I've seen on here!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@@calgarybride2015.. you think so? Its been a hard pill to swallow. BUT when I compare it to what we would spend here and that its 7 days with our friends and family, then I think its money well spent. I like to.describe by TA Gayle Hirsch as a pitbull and she really looked and looked and looked for a resort that could offer the best value..We did not expect all the guests. We sent out invites and thought "nah, they wont come"...OOPS! You made me feel better though. Its due on May 22. Grrr

@@calgarybride2015.. you think so? Its been a hard pill to swallow. BUT when I compare it to what we would spend here and that its 7 days with our friends and family, then I think its money well spent. I like to.describe by TA Gayle Hirsch as a pitbull and she really looked and looked and looked for a resort that could offer the best value..We did not expect all the guests. We sent out invites and thought "nah, they wont come"...OOPS! You made me feel better though. Its due on May 22. Grrr

Well I had 41 guests and our family of 4. I totaled up all receipts after the fact and we spent closer to $17k so you put me to shame! That included everything like you mentioned right down to tip money and our legal marriage back home, etc.

Edited by calgarybride2015

@@calgarybride2015, maybe I missed something? Ohhh goodness.

Also big chunk was 2 vendor fees =$1600. Although the DJ is family and is staying at resort, they still charged the $800 vendor fee by calling it an equiomemt rental fee.

@@calgarybride2015, maybe I missed something? Ohhh goodness.

Also big chunk was 2 vendor fees =$1600. Although the DJ is family and is staying at resort, they still charged the $800 vendor fee by calling it an equiomemt rental fee.

I don't know!!! Maybe you are way more budget savvy than I :)

Our wedding was $6000

Photographer $2100

Resort/airfare package $3100 (was $5100 but got $2000 in booking bonuses)

Rings $1000

Dress and attire close to $1000

Those were the biggies.

When I type it out it seems high so maybe I threw in the cost of our dolphin excursion too :)