Realistic Budget?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jaspbri0317

• 79 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 13, 2018
  • Wedding Location:Curacao

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:31 PM

I'm trying to come up with some kind of savings plan and first things first...I need to set a budget!

We've decided on Mexico and we are estimating 20-25 guests at the most. I definitely want the ceremony and reception on the beach, a cocktail hour, and a DJ. 

Is $7,000 a realistic budget? (I'm factoring in our flights and stay, wedding package, and about $500 for DIY decorations.)

#2 RJE

• 19 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 27, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Moon Palace, Cancun MX

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

It depends which resort you choose, time of the year, if you pick DJ from approved vendors etc

Without all those details, $7000 seems doable!

#3 snswedding2016

• 667 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 9, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

I agree with @RJE - it really depends on the where, when etc. 20-25 guests make it easier as a lot of wedding packages are based on that number. The approved vendors will be key as those fees can add up quickly. 

Our budget was $6000 without travel costs - just for the ceremony, reception, photography, and basic decor for 60 people. Groups larger than 25 we found hard to find an affordable package that suited our needs. Right now we're at 53 people and we're coming under budget. That of course doesn't include our travel costs, attire or gifts. Not sure if that helps but that's been our experience so far. 

My planning thread - http://www.bestdesti...016-azul-fives/

#4 MNsunseeker

• 61 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:33 PM

We have a similiar guest list and budget and we chose a resort in Riveria Maya in October which really helped drop the costs :)

#5 Victoriabride

• 58 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 18, 2015
    • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

I think that is totally doable! Our budget is less than that and we are really cutting corners in some areas. We scored on our photographer which saved us thousands! We are flying my friends room mate (photographer) down for a few days and she will shoot our wedding (8 hours of coverage) in return! This is a great way to save money if you know a good photographer through the grapevine. We also picked a resort where the 11th person is free up to  a maximum of 4. We are expecting to get 3 free and are keeping the money to pay for wedding expenses. So in a nutshell, I think you can do a wedding for 7000$ no problem! Good luck!

#6 pjay

• 1,791 posts
    • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
    • LocationToronto

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:58 AM

I'd say it's doable depending on your taste etc and the fees that your resort charges. I started out wanting to spend $6,000 for the wedding with 25-30 guests and i'm spending over $8k now. When I first set a budget, my FI and I forgot about the fact that we had the USD exchange rate on our Canadian dollar.. that added %20-25 more to our budget.

There were also some additions along the way.. Ie. at the beginning we didn't consider a videographer, but then we decided later that we would really like a videographer. I'd just say to prepare to spend a bit more than you were expecting.. If you do set a budget, just keep in mind that sometimes some parts don't always goto plan and there are some additional fees you may run into along the way.. another expense we didn't expect was the vendor fee that the resort charges. Not until we really got into planning our wedding did we realize that the resort charges fees to use any outside vendors.

My planning thread :

#7 JenniferH114

• 261 posts
    • Wedding Date:May 16, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Excellence Riviera Cancun
    • LocationRiviera Maya, Mexico

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

@jaspbri0317 - There are so many factors that go into the price of a destination wedding, so it's really hard to say. Our ten day trip alone is $5800. The DJ is $1300. We hired an outside photographer, which is over $2k (and that's on the lower end of photog prices). We have 28 guests + us. We added some extras, but our wedding package is actually very inclusive. Just be very careful when it comes to pricing for the wedding with the resort you choose. Some include nearly everything in the package and others will literally charge you for chairs, napkins, per hour of the reception, etc.

I'm not saying that $7k isn't doable, it just depends on which resort you end up choosing and what they include vs. what you end up wanting.

Good luck!!

#8 MarieSamSanchezPhoto

• Moderators
    • 121 posts
      • LocationSouthern California

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

Your main costs that will not give you much wiggle room are resort/airfare -- definitely compare your options and also consider time of year. Look into smaller resorts, resort specials (I know the BDW travel agents Wright Travel are currently offering a lot of specials, including bride/groom fly free!!) Here's a link to the travel deals page on the forum: http://www.bestdesti...4-travel-deals/

Also depending on where you're staying, look into staying in a beach villa or condos -- we along with most of our guests did this when we got married in Mexico and it worked out perfectly! We actually rented a villa and had our welcome dinner on the property and through it was just our welcome dinner, it was wedding quality!! (Wedding/reception was elsewhere). If you go this route, you may also want to consider reaching out to a wedding planner and ask if your budget is feasible.

Cut back on decor costs -- I promise you, when you get married at a destination location, your scenery is really all the decor you need! Keep florals and decor simple and you can save tons!

BLOG: www.mariesamsanchez.com/blog
      CONTACT ME: mariesam.sanchez@gmail.com

#9 pddcmc

• 610 posts
      • Wedding Date:April 17, 2015
      • Wedding Location:Dreams Riviera Cancun - North Beach
      • LocationColorado

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

@jaspbri0317 I agree with everyone else, it completely depends on the resort, your tastes (how much you want to pay for something or how much you want to upgrade), and the number of guests.

Here is the budget planner for my resort to give you a general idea for AM Resorts

Attached File  DRC Interactive Budget Planner.xlsx   252.78KB   8 downloads

I love him & he loves me, we'll be married by the sea.

Planning Journal & Blog

My wedding pictures from Del Sol Photography

#10 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
      • 3,070 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

Our magnificent Mayan Riviera is a very popular choice with numerous wedding couples b/c it offers such a great value and ambiance. 

With all the resources here, you're sure to find some excellent info to help with your planning decisions. Wishing you happy research, and all the best with your plans - cheers!!! team MTM :)

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                            100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users