jaspbri0317

Realistic Budget?

I'm trying to come up with some kind of savings plan and first things first...I need to set a budget!

We've decided on Mexico and we are estimating 20-25 guests at the most. I definitely want the ceremony and reception on the beach, a cocktail hour, and a DJ. 

Is $7,000 a realistic budget? (I'm factoring in our flights and stay, wedding package, and about $500 for DIY decorations.)

It depends which resort you choose, time of the year, if you pick DJ from approved vendors etc

Without all those details, $7000 seems doable!

• Like 1

I agree with @@RJE - it really depends on the where, when etc. 20-25 guests make it easier as a lot of wedding packages are based on that number. The approved vendors will be key as those fees can add up quickly. 

Our budget was $6000 without travel costs - just for the ceremony, reception, photography, and basic decor for 60 people. Groups larger than 25 we found hard to find an affordable package that suited our needs. Right now we're at 53 people and we're coming under budget. That of course doesn't include our travel costs, attire or gifts. Not sure if that helps but that's been our experience so far. 

I think that is totally doable! Our budget is less than that and we are really cutting corners in some areas. We scored on our photographer which saved us thousands! We are flying my friends room mate (photographer) down for a few days and she will shoot our wedding (8 hours of coverage) in return! This is a great way to save money if you know a good photographer through the grapevine. We also picked a resort where the 11th person is free up to  a maximum of 4. We are expecting to get 3 free and are keeping the money to pay for wedding expenses. So in a nutshell, I think you can do a wedding for 7000$ no problem! Good luck!

@jaspbri0317 - There are so many factors that go into the price of a destination wedding, so it's really hard to say. Our ten day trip alone is $5800. The DJ is $1300. We hired an outside photographer, which is over $2k (and that's on the lower end of photog prices). We have 28 guests + us. We added some extras, but our wedding package is actually very inclusive. Just be very careful when it comes to pricing for the wedding with the resort you choose. Some include nearly everything in the package and others will literally charge you for chairs, napkins, per hour of the reception, etc.

I'm not saying that $7k isn't doable, it just depends on which resort you end up choosing and what they include vs. what you end up wanting.

Good luck!!

Your main costs that will not give you much wiggle room are resort/airfare -- definitely compare your options and also consider time of year. Look into smaller resorts, resort specials (I know the BDW travel agents Wright Travel are currently offering a lot of specials, including bride/groom fly free!!) Here's a link to the travel deals page on the forum: http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/124-travel-deals/

Also depending on where you're staying, look into staying in a beach villa or condos -- we along with most of our guests did this when we got married in Mexico and it worked out perfectly! We actually rented a villa and had our welcome dinner on the property and through it was just our welcome dinner, it was wedding quality!! (Wedding/reception was elsewhere). If you go this route, you may also want to consider reaching out to a wedding planner and ask if your budget is feasible.

Cut back on decor costs -- I promise you, when you get married at a destination location, your scenery is really all the decor you need! Keep florals and decor simple and you can save tons!

• Like 1

@@jaspbri0317 I agree with everyone else, it completely depends on the resort, your tastes (how much you want to pay for something or how much you want to upgrade), and the number of guests.

Here is the budget planner for my resort to give you a general idea for AM Resorts

DRC Interactive Budget Planner.xlsx

• Like 1

Our magnificent Mayan Riviera is a very popular choice with numerous wedding couples b/c it offers such a great value and ambiance. 

With all the resources here, you're sure to find some excellent info to help with your planning decisions. Wishing you happy research, and all the best with your plans - cheers!!! team MTM :)

471572_10150957704624487_1950324022_o.jp

882948_10151506610509487_1660143585_o.jp

I'm trying to come up with some kind of savings plan and first things first...I need to set a budget!

We've decided on Mexico and we are estimating 20-25 guests at the most. I definitely want the ceremony and reception on the beach, a cocktail hour, and a DJ. 

Is $7,000 a realistic budget? (I'm factoring in our flights and stay, wedding package, and about $500 for DIY decorations.)

Hey jaspbri0317,

You budget seems doable with the number of guests, the main factor depends on  your wedding package you will select as this differ from hotel to hotel.  

Happy Planning!

• Like 1