275 replies to this topic

#91 diadiamond

diadiamond
  • 242 posts
  • Wedding Date:September 24, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Iberostar Varadero
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

So today I get the flight itenary a from Air Canada and it's all screwed up.... They have people's names wrong... The city's they are flying out of wrong... And the days they are flying wrong! What the F$&@ Air Canada! I'm so irritated right now! Just had to vent...I also think my TA should of picked up on this before she forwarded it to me... Ugh... Tomorrow is a new day right?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh NO!  I hope everything gets worked out!  I had issues with billing and rooms and stuff.  My TA put people together in rooms that shouldn't be together in rooms and I had to plead with him to change it.  I understand that it's only for billing purposes that he put certain people together, but those people made it into a big deal.  I know my situation is not like yours, but I definitely can understand how stressed you are.  

Keep us updated!  

Who's your TA @Meandhim

Lord knows I have had problems with my TA. There were times I thought I would do a better job myself.

I thought the same thing to the point where I actually started looking up the requirements to become one!  The only regret I have is not using a TA that was a previous destination bride.  I feel like that would make a big difference.  We went with Marlin Travel in Mississauga so that we could meet with him face to face (which we've only done like twice).

event.png

My Planning Thread:

#92 Meandhim

Meandhim
  • 706 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 25, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Palladium in Punta Cana
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

@diadiamond it's all being sorted... I picked this TA because I wanted face to face too... I'm in there all the time... She's probably sick of me now! Lol sometimes it's just easier than an email and it's literally a 2 min stroll from my office.

My Planning Thread - MeandHim - Grand Palladium Bavaro - Nov 25 2015

event.png

#93 diadiamond

diadiamond
  • 242 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:26 PM

Procrastination at its finest...that about sums me up! 

Legal Wedding – 102 days

Leaving for Punta Cana – 221 Days

Wedding Day – 226 Days

The Legal Wedding – Update

Speaking of Procrastination...we finally booked our tickets Home for July! I forgot to mention that the reason we are going home in July is actually because it is “Come Home Year” for the place where I grew up. The place I grew up is really, really, tiny (like 150 people tiny), so every 15 years or so, along with the 3 other communities close by, they organize a come home year. Come home Year is like a reunion of sorts....They plan a week of events...fishing derby’s, concerts, cookouts, etc...and people who have moved away all plan to come home during that week...it’s really fun.  

So we get into St. John’s Friday Night 1 am

We have to get Legally Married Sometime Saturday (TBD)

Sunday morning  6am Leave to drive to My Home Town for a week (12hr Drive with my Parents and Nan!)

Now I need to find a marriage commissioner who is available that day and I need to get the Marriage Licence. Apparently you need to apply for it in person there and you need to get it to the marriage commissioner 3 days before the wedding....umm...just a slight snag ...but we are going home in June for my FI’s Sisters Memorial so we will have to pick it up then I guess.

Now for Some of the Fun Stuff..

My Invites / Wedding Website

So far our Invitations are the DIY I’m most proud of. I searched around on Pinterest and I found what I wanted...I think it was linked to an etsy seller but out of my price range. I thought....ok...I can do this..so I downloaded the trial version of Adobe illustrator...watched a few video’s...(thank you YouTube!) and I was off...I will mention I do use Photoshop a lot at work so I wasn’t really learning from scratch. I used Vistaprint postcard template and waited for a coupon..I got 100 postcards and envelopes for just under $30!

I have a friend who is a graphic designer and she gave me some helpful tips

1.       Don’t use too many different Fonts – 3 max – make sure they complement each other

2.       Pair a Script Font with a simpler font

3.       Make sure the Important info is the easiest to read

4.       Don’t go crazy with colors

Here’s the result:

For our wedding website I used Weddingwire...it’s a great website, not only can you make a website but you can create guestlists, budgets, other events, seating charts, RSVP, track gifts, registries, etc. I used the Flights of fancy (9 of 14, I think) design Template which kind of matched my Invite style. I must say the website was fun to make but realistically not many people really looked at it...I ended up making a secret Facebook group as well just because I knew that it would get the info out faster.

I have a Bunch of other stationary started / planned:

·         Resort Pocket Map / with Spanish Phrases - Started

·         Do not disturb sign - Started

·         I Spy Game / Scavenger hunt - Started

·         Luggage tag - Started

·         Welcome Letter

·         Menu

·         Program

·         Timeline

·         Madlibs / Trivia

·         Wedding facebook

·         Postcards – Might used this as the guest book...maybe - Started

This list is a little ambitious so we will see how far I actually get...haha! 

Next.....

The Dress

Wedding Dress Shopping was not what I thought it would be. None of my close friends or family live in the same province as me so the first time I went dress shopping I went to Beckers Bridal in Toronto alone. The sales lady was nice...a little pushy for my liking...I felt like she was trying to convince me to buy a dress I liked but was not really in love with...which is her job I guess, but still not fun. The second time I went I went to David’s Bridal with one of my Friends / Neighbours. It was a better experience as I had some to laugh at the things that looked ridiculous and someone to help me say no to the sales lady.

The dress I finally bought I found online at David’s Bridal on Sale...I saw it online and loved it...unfortunately this dress was not available in Canada! Which meant I could not try it on, I could not have it shipped here and could not return it if it didn’t fit. I called a few stores in NY that were within a reasonable driving distance but no one seemed to have that dress...I finally found a store that had one left  in size 12 (my street size at the time). It was too far to drive to the store but since the dress was only 199 USD I ordered it over the phone had it shipped to my FI’s Sister in California who then sent it to me. It Fit! Well sort of...it’s actually a little big for me...it fall straight down from the boobs. Alterations to be done:

• Darts to hug it closer to body in the front
  • Possible lining replacement, the current lining is a little see-thru.

Since my first dress was so inexpensive I decided that I wanted a second, shorter dress for the reception so I could dance a fast Irish waltz with my dad and not have to wear high heels. I bought this one at David’s Bridal for $79 and I want a sparkly belt  to replace the ribbon.

I do have Dress Regret! Both My Dresses are in storage at my Soon-to-be brother-in-law’s and I haven’t tried them on since I bought them. I will have them both for almost 2 years when the wedding actually rolls around because of the date change and now I’m wondering if could have done better. I’m also losing weight...and I’m afraid that the dress will be way too big. I don’t have the room in the budget for another dress.

More to come soon...with more Pictures...

So happy that you have a date for your legal wedding.  It's so awesome that you made your own invites.  I love both your dresses!  If they don't fit properly you can always take them to a seamstress to be altered.  I bought my dress second hand and that's what I'm going to do as my dress needs to be altered.  

I love your shoe story!  That was so sweet that she bought the shoes and sent them with her FI to give them to you.  I love that we're a community here on this forum.  

@diadiamond it's all being sorted... I picked this TA because I wanted face to face too... I'm in there all the time... She's probably sick of me now! Lol sometimes it's just easier than an email and it's literally a 2 min stroll from my office.

Haha I'd probably do the same too, but mine is 30 min drive away.  

event.png

My Planning Thread:

#94 kcole123

kcole123
  • 850 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 17, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Melia Caribe
  • LocationPunta Cana, Dominican

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

Yay to yhe good ol Newfoundlanders hahaha had to put that in there.
Hope things are going better now with your bookings and TA

Kristy and Nathan

Melia Caribe Tropical

April 17, 2015

#95 beckys98

beckys98
  • 543 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 11, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Montego Bay

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

@Meandhim - I think I cashed in my good wedding karma this week! We are getting legally married in Jamaica and notarized copies of our passports and birth certificates are due to the resort by TOMORROW. Well, I was 100% sure I knew where my birth certificate was but when I went to grab it Monday evening it was NO WHERE to be found! I tore the whole house apart and was so upset thinking we wouldn't be able to be legally married on our wedding day and that we wouldn't be able to get married until after we got back :(

Our state capital, where the records department is, is like 3 hours away and work is so crazy right now that I cannot take a whole day off to go get it. And even a rush request by mail said it took 7 days to turn it around. I desperately called the County Clerk in the town I was born (which is also 2 hours away from where I live) on Tuesday and they told me if I mailed them the payment and form they would turn it around the same day! I included a prepaid overnight mailing label and it was delivered back to me this morning! Fortunately I was born in a small town where the County office is not very busy - I live in Chicago now and there is NO WAY you could get anything done that fast here!

So, now we can get married like planned! I'm so, so relieved and I definitely think the universe was repaying me for getting you your shoes! Hahaha :)

#96 Meandhim

Meandhim
  • 706 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

@beckys98 OMG I'm so glad you were able to get your documents in time!!! See good Karma comes back around! Yay! Small towns are good for something's! I'm so happy you are able to get married as planned!! Just a little over a month left :)

event.png

#97 beckys98

beckys98
  • 543 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 11, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Montego Bay

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

Yep! We leave for Jamaica in 29 DAYS!! Sometimes that feels like a lot of days and some times it feels like no time at all - just depends on my state of panic on any given day ;)

#98 Meandhim

Meandhim
  • 706 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:43 AM

@beckys98 So EXCITING!!...but I know what you mean even though I tons of time left some-days it doesn't feel like enough! I can't even imagine being so close. I hope the rest of your planning is going smoothly :)

event.png

#99 diadiamond

diadiamond
  • 242 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:14 AM

@calgarybride2015 thanks! I draw all day at work so I don't consider that being crafty... You my friend ARE crazy crafty! All your DIY's were amazing and inspiring...and I'm sure you will see a few of your ideas copied here!!

I haven't completely nailed down the guestbook yet but postcards are high on the list so far thanks to you. I'm definitely making postcards but I might just put them in the welcome bags if I come up with another idea for my guest book.

I've had a ton of original ideas until I joined here and then realized someone else did it already.. Lol

As for the dresses I'm trying not to watch say yes to the dress or any other wedding show / magazine... It just sets in the doubt. I'm sure my dress is fine and once the time comes and everything is together it'll be great!

I know the 7 months are going to fly by and as I mentioned above and you can probably tell by my few posts I'm a total procrastinator! I'm terrified I'm going to have too much left til the end...current goal get legal stuff sorted SOON, before the end of April.

I used to love watching all of those wedding shows too, but ever since I booked my wedding and bought my dress I find it really hard to watch any of them because I feel like it will make me doubt myself and my decisions.

@calgarybride2015

I guess I just feel so guilty that everyone is paying so much to go to the wedding I'm trying to limit any cost of being a bridesmaid...Being a bridesmaid can be super expensive...I'm buying their Shoes and jewellery...but there is still the dress and hair and makeup

That's a good idea to pay part of the dress...thanks!

I feel really guilty too that everyone is paying so much to go to my wedding, so I tried to limit costs for them by letting them pick their dresses, shoes, and accessories as long as the dresses are red.  I asked them if they wanted their hair done, but they said no so I believe they will also be doing their own hair and makeup as well.  Aside from cutting costs I figured that it was also a good way for each girl to show off her own style. 

event.png

My Planning Thread:

#100 Meandhim

Meandhim
  • 706 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

*Update*

60 days to the Legal ceremony

179 Day til we travel to Punta Cana

183 days til the WEDDING!

So the panic is starting to set in...

I feel like I have nothing done!!! EEK! I had been asked by a friend which weekend I have free this summer for a group BBQ...I started to go through my calender and realised that I have almost no free weekends this summer....then I thought oh shit! How am I going to get this all done! I have things to order,  things to design and print,  and things to craft!....not to mention an apartment to clean...its kind of a wreck right now and I have guests coming to stay in 2 weeks...I haven't been on the site fully in while and now I'm seeing what people getting married after me have done so far!! My anxiety has now kicked in and I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Got a revised flight schedule back from my travel agent...This time there was just one thing wrong...My FI's mom was missing! lol! Plus there were a few flights that I'm trying to get different times to lower the stopover times for some of the guests. But I'm confident that will all be sorted soon. Not going to stress about it because there is a lot of time left for that.

Updated the budget last night...man that thing just keeps creeping up! However I am still basing all my numbers on 60 people...I currently have 44 booked in and 16 serious Maybes...so I know when the finial payments are due that I will have less than 60 and my  budget will go down :)

Plans for this week and weekend:

• Clean the Spare room, sort & organize wedding mess to make room for guests!
  • Find a vest for the FI
  • Make the message in a bottle favours...really got to do it this time...god I am such a procrastinator!
  • Make a list of things that need to be ordered online.

ok!...not too bad...I should be able to get that done...right?!

Edited by Meandhim, 26 May 2015 - 07:02 AM.

event.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users