33 replies to this topic

#1 KatieMcBride

KatieMcBride
  • 122 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 15, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Riu Caribe, Cancun

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:41 AM

Wedding Party?? Yay or nay???

Wondering if I should even bother having a wedding party. Reason being is, I only want my family to stand for me (as it's important to me and I don't want any friends to get mad/jealous/offended if I ask one friend and not another, etc)

So I've asked both my sisters and both my female cousins that I grew up.  Problem ---- only ONE sister is able to confirm 100% she will be able to make it to the wedding.

Other sister is trying to have a baby right now, so it all depends on the timing of that. (She can't go if she's 8-9 months pregnant OR has a new born baby)

One cousin has 3 kids and her husband's job is very up in the air. They don't have a lot of extra money, but she said she would fly on points or get her family to help her be there.  She's very flaky though so I can't guarantee she'll be there.

And other cousin, love her to death, but she's also very flaky and unreliable. Guess I should've thought this through better before asking them to be in my wedding..

So the fact that I can only guarantee 1 bridesmaid out of 4 to be there...should I even bother? Should I just plan on having one stand? My fiancĂ© already has 2 grooms men confirmed, and I know for a fact they'll both be there.  Would be kind of weird to have 2 grooms men, and 1 bridesmaid?

Any other people have this problem?? Advice/stories please!

#2 beckys98

beckys98
  • 543 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 11, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Montego Bay

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

We aren't doing a bridal party for a few reasons. First, we did not want to add extra costs to our guests when they are already coming to Jamaica. Dress, shoes, jewelry, hair, makeup, bouquets, etc. etc. etc. just seems like way too much and way too much for me to coordinate!

Also, it just became way too complicated to choose who we would include and would would be left out. He has a close group of friends and like 4 of them are female. So do they stand up for him? Or on my side and I have like 9 girls and he has 4 guys? He wouldn't agree to just siblings, so we're basically just nixing it.

But I'm also not having my dad walk me down the aisle (we're walking out together) so I'm having my dad be my witness so he isn't sad. I kind of wish my sister was standing up, but if we did my sister and his brother then that would leave my brother out! See...too complicated :)

I'm still having my girls hang out with me on the wedding day while we get ready and everything. They just don't have to wear a specific dress. And I may still find a special role for my sister in the ceremony so she is included. But we also knew no one would be offended!

Good luck with your decisions!

#3 KatieMcBride

KatieMcBride
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

Thanks! Glad to hear I'm not the only one considering no bridal party.  It does get difficult especially for DW weddings..

#4 veryvalentine

veryvalentine
  • 678 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 20, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sunset Princess - Mayan Riviera
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

I think you should do whatever it is you feel the most comfortable with.  Some people will feel left out without a bridal party if they felt like they should have been asked...and some people will feel overwhelmed with the responsibilities of being in a bridal party if you ask them.

Follow your vision and at least if nobody else is happy, you will be! :)

Married on June 20th, 2015 at the Grand Sunset Princess Riviera Gazebo & Reception at the Chill Out with 60 guests

My planning thread:  http://www.bestdesti...unset-princess/

My review thread:  http://www.bestdesti...incess-wedding/

#5 rachelia160

rachelia160
  • 296 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 17, 2015
  • Wedding Location:NOW Jade
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:34 AM

I think whichever way you decide to go is fine, but I wouldn't base your decision on there being an uneven number of groomsmen/bridesmaids. Every wedding I've been to recently has had an uneven number, and my FI will have one more groomsman than me, and it's no big deal. So if you decide you want someone to stand up for you, and the only one who pans out is your sister, I say go for it, but if you don't want to have one at all I think that's fine too.

#6 snswedding2016

snswedding2016
  • 667 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 9, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

I agree with rachelia160. If you want family standing up with you and only a few of them confirmed, I think it will be special regardless of the numbers matching on both sides. If they are important to you, that's all the matters! You could always have the two groomsmen walk your sister down the aisle (one groomsman on either side - I've seen that before and looks really nice). 

My fiance has been pretty laid back about the planning of the wedding and has totally let me take the reins and will go along with whatever I choose but the bridal party was one thing he really wanted. He really wanted his boys up there with him (and there are a lot of them). I talked him down from 8 to 6 - lol! Although I think if he had it his way, our whole guest list would be standing -haha! At one point we talked about having all the kids at our wedding parade down the aisle instead of having just one flower girl and one ring bearer. So far we have 8 kids in total. We quickly nixed that idea (talk about chaos) but it was pretty funny picturing it. 

My planning thread - http://www.bestdesti...016-azul-fives/

event.png

#7 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:13 PM

I'm totally on the fence about bridal parties at a destination wedding. I'm not sure I really understand the need for them unless you're getting legally married there and need the actual witnesses for your marriage certificate. I agree that it really does add extra stress and expense to people that might be planning to attend so unless you're willing to pick up the dress/shoes/jewellery/makeup/hair tab for everyone, I wouldn't be inclined to bother. If anyone is feeling left out, just set up a special event to have with just those friends so that they feel included. We needed the witnesses because we actually did get married in Jamaica, but when our guest list fell apart, we had the wedding coordinators sign the marriage license. it was weird because they're strangers but now, it is what it is. We got married. That's what counted the most.

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#8 KatieMcBride

KatieMcBride
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for your input everyone!!

It is pretty important to me to have my sisters stand for me. The one who CAN make it, I definitely want her to stand with me. And having the 2 grooms men walk her down the aisle is a cute idea!

#9 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

My bridal party is uneven.. we plan to have four groomsmen and three bridesmaids/maid of honour. I don't think the number really needs to be even for any reason.. I wouldn't base it on the bridal party being symmetrical. I'd say that you should definitely have your sister in the bridal party if she can make it :)

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#10 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,505 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

If you really want your sisters up there with you (and I can see why!) I would suggest this.... maybe keep the 2 groomsmen as is, if both sisters make it - perfect it's even, if not then do what was suggested above and have the 2 groomsmen walk your sister down the isle. I think that would look lovely!

My fiance ran out immediately and asked 3 men to stand up for him so I was left to find 3. I wanted even numbers as I wanted them to walk down the isle together.   I also waited until I knew who was coming to the wedding to ask them as they didn't have any pressure to commit.

I helped with the dresses and I got them all their supplies for the wedding day (jewelry, sandals, etc.)  they did pay for their own hair and makeup though at their discretion, one had considered doing her own but then changed her mind.

I gave them ample notice of the cost of of these extras though, so they knew if they could commit or not.   While we don't want to place a large burden on people, I think you may be surprised that most don't mind. It's an honor to them and something we may have done for them too, etc.   Of course though, with that said, I made sure to keep things within reason!!!  Aside from their trip, my bridesmaids paid about $250 for a dress and their hair/makeup.

Edited by calgarybride2015, 10 March 2015 - 06:23 PM.

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users