909 replies to this topic

#391 diadiamond

diadiamond
  • 242 posts
  • Wedding Date:September 24, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Iberostar Varadero
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:38 AM

@TinkerSofi I LOVE your dress!  I love the lace detail!  I also love the colour and style of your bridesmaids dresses.  I think a corset back will look amazing (I'm biased as I love the corset back).  

My hands and fingers swell in the heat as well!  I don't know how the ring will go on my finger either lol.  I think I'll do what you are going to do, drink lemon water and stick my hand in a bucket of ice lol

OOT Bags

It took me a while to convince Juan that we should give people something for spending so much money to come. It started with a very long list of about 15 items, until he came over and slashed it to about 7 haha. I was going to do OOT cups but a bride here mentioned no one used them and they did seem kind of a hassle to bring, so we decided to order some sunglasses. Now, not everyone might use them, just like the OOT cups, but they seem to be easier to transport. 

Here's a picture with all the colors we ordered. I'm a fan of a couple so I'm not sure which color I'm going to pick :)

glasses2_zps19e1396e.jpg

We made them personalized: 

Glassess1_zps4e7cab4a.jpg

Then, instead of giving a bunch of smaller items I thought we could give each person less items but bigger. I ordered some sarongs for the girls, which i found on ebay for about $3 each haha. I really hope they're somewhat decent for that price :P. I'll update as soon as I get them as to the quality and whether it was a good idea or I wasted my money haha. That should be fairly soon since I ordered them about a month ago. I ordered them in a bunch of different patterns but this one is my fave: 

ScreenShot2015-02-14at101607AM_zps0639fc

For the guys I'm thinking of something around the lines of a money clip or somewhere to put the cash while at the beach, etc. I haven't found any yet that I liked and are in the price range i'm looking. Guys are the hardest to pick for! I initially thought hats would be a good idea, but I also couldn't find any nice ones for the price I was looking for. Maybe it's a sign i need to increase the budget? hahah

As for the bags, I'd love to have fabric totes, but I'm not sure we'll be able to do that unless wedding chicks has another one of their huge sale they had this past year (so mad at myself for missing that). I kinda like these ones: 

97eed846-82f7-4922-80a1-77f6980ac6ec_zps

if that's not possible, the plan is to do paper gift bags and create a label along the same lines as that design and just put them on the bags :)

Then inside, I'll put a brochure welcoming people, with info about the resort and the location as well as a place for them to write down their friends' room numbers. 

I'm not sure whether adding this on to the brochure or having a separate thing, but I wanted to do a postcard with all of the week's planned events and the times, so that people don't forget or miss out on anything. 

I'm still considering other items, but we'll see how we're doing in terms of money. 

On totally unrelated notes, we got an update from the resort with our timeline. Sunset will be at 7:20 during our wedding, so our ceremony is now at 6 (used to be at 5), and reception from 8-12. I'm so happy they're not charging us more to have it until midnight :). Unfortunately, because apparently worrying is my favorite hobby, now I worry whether people will be extremely hungry by the time the reception rolls around and maybe I should have kept the original timeline, ceremony at 5 and reception at 7. Juan told me I'm going to drive myself insane hahah

Love your idea for favours!  I also think that since people are spending so much to come and celebrate your big day they should get something in return.  I love the sarongs!  I think the girls will love them and use them and I love the print.  Where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking?  I'm thinking of giving them to my bridesmaids.  

You're not alone with worrying, I changed my wedding timeline so much since I booked because I was worried about not having enough time for photos, the time of dinner, ect. 

event.png

My Planning Thread:

#392 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:41 AM

@TinkerSofi I LOVE your dress! I love the lace detail! I also love the colour and style of your bridesmaids dresses. I think a corset back will look amazing (I'm biased as I love the corset back).

My hands and fingers swell in the heat as well! I don't know how the ring will go on my finger either lol. I think I'll do what you are going to do, drink lemon water and stick my hand in a bucket of ice lol

Love your idea for favours! I also think that since people are spending so much to come and celebrate your big day they should get something in return. I love the sarongs! I think the girls will love them and use them and I love the print. Where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of giving them to my bridesmaids.

You're not alone with worrying, I changed my wedding timeline so much since I booked because I was worried about not having enough time for photos, the time of dinner, ect.

I had planned to wear my engagement ring on my right finger but it didn't fit in the heat. Thankfully it fit on my left still so just wore it on that finger. Personal preference I say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#393 diadiamond

diadiamond
  • 242 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

thanks! I have to figure out what's next :)

I haven't been doing much the last few days in terms of planning because of tons of work but here's an update: 

I've been thinking about what I want in terms of the itinerary for the week or wedding day. Initially I wanted to do two sides, one for the week and one for the wedding day, on a postcard size. When i finally sat down to write the list of events, the itinerary for the week was so sad that I decided I'll probably scratch that haha. So far it's just a welcome dinner and then the wedding day haha. We might do an outing as a group but chances are that we won't get it together until we're there. 

This is kind of what I like, and I know other brides have done the same: 

ScreenShot2014-11-17at92716AM_zpsdcf6a82

I sent it to MOH #1 because she's in school for graphic design and said she would help me out with these. She's writing some exams so she won't be able to work on these until March but I guess it gives me more of a chance to think about exactly what I want. 

Then I thought that since I wanted to do a welcome pamphlet, maybe I can include the itinerary in the pamphlet rather than having two separate things. I have to actually sit down and think and kind of design them in my head I guess before I make my MOH work in vain. 

I ordered the BM dresses yesterday! yay. So they will be here in 3-4 months. 

I love that design I think it will look great! 

I tried on my dress again today and I every time I'm just like "wow, I look great in this" hahah. I guess that's when you know you got the right one :). I'm starting to think about hair and accessories. 

Hair

I definitely know I want an updo. I'm a huge fan of half up half down hairstyles and originally that's what I was going to go for, but then I started thinking about how hot it is over there in August, even at night. To that I need to add the wind at the terrace and the sweat of me partying too hard haha (ew?). Basically I will end up looking like a hot mess if my hair is down. I know the hair on my back will bug me and I will end up putting it up in a lame ponytail. So updo it is! I will probably end up looking like a hot mess anyway, but my hair with humidity turns into a lion's mane and that's definitely not the look I'm going for hahah. 

I thought I wanted a hair comb for my updo and had found a couple of faves on etsy. Then I went into David's bridal and tried on a few hair accessories. I decided that a headband is the way to go. Even my friends call me the headband lady haha because according to them they look really good on me :). I had bought this headband at Forever XXI a couple of months back. I only wore it for New Years and today when I tried on my dress I made like a "mock updo" (mock is another word for crappy haha) with it. I decided it looked good so that's what I'm going to wear instead of spending $120 on the one I liked at David's Bridal. 

headband_zps3e181ceb.jpg

updowithheadband_zps7683390a.jpg

Jewellery 

I had seen this etsy store a while back and saved a few things but today I think I'm ready to pull the trigger haha. I'm only wearing earrings and a bracelet because I feel like my dress is busy enough with all the embroidery. I knew I needed something like pearls if i were to have a bracelet because I was afraid that if I got one with crystals that it would snag my dress (a tulle skirt).

ScreenShot2015-02-20at112659AM_zps2b22e9 ScreenShot2015-02-20at112715AM_zps01de77

This is the link to the store on etsy: 

https://www.etsy.com...shopheader-name

Tackling the to do list: 

by the way @veryvalero thanks for the whiteboard idea. We've been using it and I love that the fiance has access to it from home. It makes it a lot easier to communicate. For those that don't know what's going on, veryvalero has her own planning thread and she uses a board to put stickies of things on the to do list, that way both her fiance and her can tackle things and take things off the list. My fiance and I don't live in the same house, which sometimes makes it a bit hard when it comes to planning and keeping each other in the loop.  She suggested this website www.realtimeboard.com so we make sticky notes of things to get done and my fiance can log in and see/edit it as well :D. Very useful indeed. 

Your headband is gorgeous!  I also wanted a half-up half-down do, but it's going to be hot in September so I want to put it all up.  Did you buy your jewelry already?  I love the jewlery that you posted.  

Good idea on the dress code . I had omitted it from my website bc I was like um who doesn't know how to dress for a nice beach wedding... Turns out a lot of people by the questions I got ( I know it's hot but I didn't realize guys were thinking shorts, although in the end I won't care )

I thought that dressing for a beach wedding would be self explanatory too, but it wasn't lol.  Guys also wanted to wear shorts.  I don't really care about what people wear I just don't want them to be in bathing suits LOL.

@Smellsey they had some really good sales this week! I just realized they sent a coupon for 20% off everything only valid yesterday. I went there and saw these little travel sewing kits and other things for the OOT bags but I hadn't seen the coupon so I didn't use it, boo (at least I didn't buy anything). Next time! 

Update on the bags:

I did some research, Mrsktob didn't specify how the personalized the bags, but it looks like an iron on. It looked awesome! Unfortunately I did some research and an iron on will not work with the bags I got because they're that non-woven plastic material, and they will turn into a gooey mess when the iron is applied. I'm not going to risk it. However, I worked on the cricut and designed a little stencil. I still have to work out the logistics and try it out but I've attached a picture of what I designed so far. The letters will be cut out and I'll paint them white on the bags. I 100% ripped off the idea from wedding chicks and I admit it hahah. 

I designed it on cricut-craft room. I don't have the cartridges I used to make it, so in order to cut the design out I need to buy them. I'm trying to get a good deal on ebay for it before caving in and just buying it full price. For that design I technically need two cartridges, luckily the one with the maracas is only $5, vs. the $30ish that a regular one costs. The only way I can justify buying the font cartridge full price is that my mom might use use when making cakes and other things in her bakery. 

Update on the freebies from the hotel: 

I got an e-mail today from my WC, and from what she said we are approved for the free private dinner, yay! and they're making our ceremony free since we are upgrading quite a few things for both the ceremony and reception. They just need confirmation that we have enough rooms with our group to qualify but that shouldn't be a problem. My TA already sent her a list of guests so far. 

I started thinking about making the private dinner our welcome dinner the day after we arrive, for everyone to get to know each other and mingle. Then use the semi-private dinner for a rehearsal or the day before we leave. I asked Juan but he basically said "I don't care. We have free food anywhere anyways" haha. 

I'm so happy that you were able to get some perks from your resort! I can't wait to see what you end up doing with your bags.

Jewelry is here! Yay!! I am in love with the earrings :). I didn't take a picture of them on me because I had just come back from the gym and I would have ruined the look haha. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1426034676.592424.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1426034690.525330.jpg

So beautiful!  I can't wait to see it together with your dress!

event.png

My Planning Thread:

#394 diadiamond

diadiamond
  • 242 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:20 AM

As promised, some pictures of the shoes. Now that I got to see them more and try them with the dress I'm not so sure they go with it :(. Agh, I don't know what to do. They don't look awful, but I just don't know, the ones that were nicer and more along the lines of what I had in mind, were either $700 or they were too high for my comfort. I swear my indecision will kill me one of these days.

I might just order a pair from David's bridal online and see. I don't think I'll return the ones from Nordstrom because I still love them and I'll use them anyway. 

These are the ones I got. They're kind of a gold silvery color: 

IMG_1506_zpsg6n0au4h.jpg

IMG_1507_zpsdhxnyo8j.jpg

And these were the ones I had seen on David's Bridal website. Definitely more bridalish, but I don't think I'd be able to wear these again: 

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-28%20at%209.35.4Screen%20Shot%202015-03-28%20at%209.36.2

What do you guys think? Please be honest. 

Mom of the Bride Dress

Today I also went with my mom to pick out her dress!! I had been telling her for months that we needed to do this because she would probably need to order something, but she wanted to lose some weight before trying anything on and said she would otherwise just get something at the mall. We had searched all the malls for some party dresses but we didn't like anything. They were great if she was a guest, but they were too simple for the mother of the bride.

We went into a bridal store, and of course, the lady said that even if we ordered a dress super rushed it would arrive on July 28, leaving only a week to get any alterations needed. Eep!  :wacko:. That meant that she needed to buy off the rack if she was going to get anything there. She was sure that she wanted a short dress and she picked a bunch out, but then as I was scoping around I found this long light grey chiffon dress with a cowl neck. She tried it on and it looked beautiful on her! It gave her a really nice hourglass figure and it was the perfect size with only some minor alterations needed (just a hem and shortening of the straps). She kept going back and forth with other dresses but she ended up buying the grey one!  :D

I believe this is the dress, but in my opinion it looks much better on my mom, and not because I'm biased haha. 

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-28%20at%209.57.3

Juan's suit also came in last night but he hasn't picked it up yet. I have a feeling he won't let me see it on until the wedding hahah  <_<. He's just very bitter that he can't see my dress but I could help him pick out his suit lol  :rolleyes:

I love your shoes!  I think that the metallic silver will look stunning with your dress.  

@Tinkersofi 

We're doing an informal welcome cocktail party (ie. picking one bar to meet up at lol! ). We're probably going to go with 1910 -The Mexican Cantina. It sounds like there is space inside and outside for people to mingle. We're using our semi private dinner at Flavours for our rehearsal dinner but after reading your post, I thought oh maybe having it the day after we arrive is a good idea. So my post may not be helpful at all as I'm starting to reconsider my own itinerary! ;)

As for the ceremony and reception time…are you guys doing a first look before the ceremony? If you are that will allow you to take photos ahead of time and still keep a later ceremony like you want. If you're not than you might start to run out of light trying to get all your photos done after the ceremony. Are you doing a lot of group photos after the ceremony? If it is just you and your hubby mainly than it might not be so bad timing wise. I think asking your photographer is your best bet. I did the same trying to figure out timing…and like you I've changed my ceremony start time twice with Karisma. lol! I moved it up once to allow for more photos with the light (as per our photographer's suggestion) and then we moved it back because of the new daylight savings. Both times I almost couldn't move it because of other weddings scheduled. In the end it all worked out. 

Love the new shoes - super cute!!!

I love the idea of an informal cocktail party!  I might just have to steal it.  I don't have the budget to pay for a welcome party or excursion (even though I would like that =( ).  I also love how casual it is to just have everyone meet up at a bar it sounds like it will be super fun!

Wedding planning is back to full swing! Yesterday I worked on the signs to put around the reception. I came up with 3 different ideas but still need to decide which one I'll pick. I'll ask Juan today what he thinks. In the meantime, which one do you guys like better? I had to take a screenshot because I don't think most people have that font, so it might change it if I put it as a ppt. 

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-11%20at%2010.26.

I've also been working on the idea of the fans as seating chart. I'm planning on dividing them between ladies and gents and attaching a tag with the person's name and their table number to them. The ladies' fans will have a pink ribbon and the guys' will have a blue one since they're our wedding colors anyway. The idea right now is to put them in a box or basket/bucket of sorts with one of the signs above saying "find your table Ladies" and another with "find your table gentlemen". It's a fairly small wedding so I think dividing them into two groups should do the trick in terms of finding your fan easily. Something along these lines: 

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-11%20at%2010.16.Screen%20Shot%202015-04-11%20at%2010.17.

For your guestbook I actually like design #3.  I love the idea that you have for the fans.

I've been so MIA this past week. I've been so busy that I haven't even really been on the computer much. Just a quick update before I have to run again: the shoes are here!! The pink ones are too big as I had predicted but I really don't know what color is prettier. They have the pink ones in my size now so it'd just be a matter of exchanging them. They are truly gorgeous and Soo comfortable. I don't even think I need to break them in all that much. The sole is leather, so dancing approved haha but holy! that thing is slippery on carpet lol. The bottom is cushioned so it doesn't feel like you're walking on blocks of wood and they are pretty flexible so, super comfy. I might like the champagne ones better, how they look on me, but I really don't know. I attached some pictures: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1429316411.347262.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1429316425.640035.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1429316432.173952.jpg

hmmm I love both pairs.  I think I like the pink ones better for your look though since you love pink and I think it will also look great with the jewelry too!

event.png

My Planning Thread:

#395 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:01 AM

@diadiamond thanks! I'll let you know where I bought the sarongs when I get home. They were on ebay but I'm on my work computer right now and I run out of data on my phone, sigh.

We'll see what happens with the dress next Monday when I got for my alterations appointment. I can't wait to see it all done and ready for me :).

The bridesmaid dresses should be here pretty soon too and I'm getting super excited to see them in the actual color. It's been 3 months and since I'm so anxious I'm going to give them a call and see what's up haha.

I think the guests will love the little somethings we have for the bags haha. I'll be semi-putting them together soon so that I have as little to do as possible when we arrive. I'm basically assembling the first aid kits together and placing in each bag the sarong, the waterproof pouches and the welcome brochure. Then it's just a matter of putting a survival kit in each bag when we arrive and we're good to go!

Our final timeline of events looks a bit different than what I posted and the reason is because we went with a more fun and informal feel to the welcome bags and the brochure, so my MOH tried to make something that would match that instead of having that really classy timeline with a bunch of other informal things haha.

I am in love with the jewelry, that lady's store on etsy has tons of really nice things!

In terms of the attire, at first I was very firm on "no shorts" but I didn't want to be unfair with the guys, it'll be really hot for long pants all night. Then I saw some really nice shorts for guys, kind of like the nautical look and I think that would look nice enough. I actually put together a page on the website with examples because people were kind of lost as to what to wear :).

As for the perks, some of them panned out but others didn't. We got our ceremony for free, but they didn't give us a private dinner, which isn't the end of the world. At least I'm getting my makeup and hair for free and plus the free ceremony I'm happy :).

@calgarybride2015 when Juan proposed I was so shocked that he was going to place the ring on my left hand and I was like "no, it goes on this one" and gave him my right bahaha. It actually doesn't fit on my right hand unless it's cold out, and by that point it's dancing on my left hand haha.

event.png

#396 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:25 PM

@diadiamond thanks! I'll let you know where I bought the sarongs when I get home. They were on ebay but I'm on my work computer right now and I run out of data on my phone, sigh.

We'll see what happens with the dress next Monday when I got for my alterations appointment. I can't wait to see it all done and ready for me :).

The bridesmaid dresses should be here pretty soon too and I'm getting super excited to see them in the actual color. It's been 3 months and since I'm so anxious I'm going to give them a call and see what's up haha.

I think the guests will love the little somethings we have for the bags haha. I'll be semi-putting them together soon so that I have as little to do as possible when we arrive. I'm basically assembling the first aid kits together and placing in each bag the sarong, the waterproof pouches and the welcome brochure. Then it's just a matter of putting a survival kit in each bag when we arrive and we're good to go!

Our final timeline of events looks a bit different than what I posted and the reason is because we went with a more fun and informal feel to the welcome bags and the brochure, so my MOH tried to make something that would match that instead of having that really classy timeline with a bunch of other informal things haha.

I am in love with the jewelry, that lady's store on etsy has tons of really nice things!

In terms of the attire, at first I was very firm on "no shorts" but I didn't want to be unfair with the guys, it'll be really hot for long pants all night. Then I saw some really nice shorts for guys, kind of like the nautical look and I think that would look nice enough. I actually put together a page on the website with examples because people were kind of lost as to what to wear :).

As for the perks, some of them panned out but others didn't. We got our ceremony for free, but they didn't give us a private dinner, which isn't the end of the world. At least I'm getting my makeup and hair for free and plus the free ceremony I'm happy :).

@calgarybride2015 when Juan proposed I was so shocked that he was going to place the ring on my left hand and I was like "no, it goes on this one" and gave him my right bahaha. It actually doesn't fit on my right hand unless it's cold out, and by that point it's dancing on my left hand haha.

You don't wear your engagement ring on your left finger? I'm confused hehe

I just meant on the day of the wedding I thought we were supposed to wear it on the right as he places the band on the left. Then you just move the engagement ring over with the band later on.

Edited by calgarybride2015, 04 May 2015 - 03:25 PM.

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

#397 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

You don't wear your engagement ring on your left finger? I'm confused hehe

I just meant on the day of the wedding I thought we were supposed to wear it on the right as he places the band on the left. Then you just move the engagement ring over with the band later on.

ohh i see, yeah it's on my left but when he proposed I was kind of blindsided so I gave him my right hand lol and then I switched it. I don't think mine will fit on my right hand for the wedding haha so he's going to have to stack them up. 

event.png

#398 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

ohh i see, yeah it's on my left but when he proposed I was kind of blindsided so I gave him my right hand lol and then I switched it. I don't think mine will fit on my right hand for the wedding haha so he's going to have to stack them up.

Ohhhh hahaha I totally read yours wrong. You were just a nervous mess :) as was I. I was also very blindsided but wouldn't have wanted any other way. My right hand was so swollen so I just wore it on the left. At the end of the day does it matter?!?! Hehe too many traditions!

-Kim

#399 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

I feel so bad because I feel like I've been slacking with my planning but pretty much everything is done! Aside from a few things, we're pretty much set to go! Today on the to do list is organizing things we have to bring down to Mexico to get the reality check of how much extra luggage we're going to need. 

edit: at least that stuff that doesn't require money is pretty much done haha. I still have to get the bridesmaids a little something and do the whole photobooth thing :). I'm kind of excited for that but for some reason I keep putting it off. I'm afraid it won't work out or something. 

This week I ordered the guestbook cards from Vistaprint

Attached File  post card-1.png   395.74KB   9 downloads

The back is pretty simple. I didn't want to leave it blank, so after playing around with black and white vintage backgrounds and nothing working out, I put a couple of flowers that were on vistaprint and wrote "best day ever" on the same main font as the front of the card (the font that says wedding wishes for Sofia & Juan) 

Now for the not so great news, my dad tore his achilles tendon this week so he's in a cast now and will be for about 9 weeks. He's pretty bummed, especially because he was doing exercise to look good for the wedding, he had lost quite a bit of weigh and was going to go get his attire this weekend. After 9 weeks they can start with physio, but he might have to wear one of those boots, at least it's removable right? I just feel bad for him :(

Edited by TinkerSofi, 07 May 2015 - 11:34 AM.

event.png

#400 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

Those cards look fantastic!! I love that idea and I bet it will be so fun for you guys to read when you get home. so cute.

Sorry about your dad! Poor guy :(

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users