Tinkersofi's Planning Thread - Azul Fives August 13, 2015

So cool!  where did you find these? 

The waterproof pouches finally came in. They took about a month and I was getting a bit worried they would never make it.

My review is a bit mixed. The bad: these things take A LOT of effort to open. With that said, water will not be getting into these babies. Smartphones work through them so people can use their phone as an underwater camera :) or at least that's what I think so far. I need to try one out (another one of my silly experiments) and make sure they're 100% waterproof before I can tell people to put their smartphones in there and go in the water. They do have 2 super strong zipper closures and two snap buttons on top of that so I don't foresee any problems unless you close them incorrectly.

I guess my mixed review comes from the fact that I thought they'd be easier to open for people to put money and stuff in there, so that they could open and close them a few times. However, they take so much effort that I would just put my phone in there and take it out at night. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1426905513.773108.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So cool!  where did you find these? 

I got them from this store on ebay 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/381022216726?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They only had orange, green and pink when I got them but they have more colors now. 

The partial verdict is in: Water doesn't go in! haha. I put a coin in there and submerged it in water, left it there for a while and the coin was 100% dry, no water got in. I wouldn't go diving with these of course, but I think they'd do fine at the pool or at the beach :)

Next I'll try it with an old phone that I don't care if it gets wrecked but i'm sure it will be fine :)

Like I said before, I was somewhat disappointed that they're so hard to open but only because I thought of giving them a different use. So my expectations were off. They are great for their main purpose though! :D and I'm happy with that. 

• Like 3

I got so much done today. I'm exhausted :P. I had the day off so I decided to knock a few things off my DIY list. Then my dad is taking an online course in photography and he was practicing so I asked him to take some nice pictures of my finished projects. Which means I finally have some decent pictures that don't come from my phone! hahah  :D

First: I finished the flowers. I wrapped the bridesmaids' bouquets in ribbon, which will also double as the centerpieces. And I took a picture with them in the jars they'll be going in for the tables (which I had previously also wrapped in the same ribbon and lace). 

I also put together the smaller flower arrangements that will go in the votive holders as centerpieces. 

The pictures are missing the lanterns, but I posted those earlier, so you kind of get the idea ;)

Second: I finished the Emergency kits, including the little envelopes for the Tylenol and the tags. I made the envelopes on Photoshop, then printed them and glued them together. 

Third:  I worked on the stencil once again, this time with more success. I used the cricut and my computer to make a mock stencil with cardstock and then painted a piece of fabric with some spray food coloring. The image came out much clearer when using a large stencil, even though I didn't glue the stencil on to the fabric. I also decided that I'll be using one of the cartridges I already have rather than spending more money and buying a new one which I'll never use again. I'm waiting for a nice day to finally be able to go outside and try a real one with paint. I think they'll look pretty awesome :) 

I'm feeling accomplished :D 

Updates on other things: 

I'm starting to freak out about shoes. I've gone to a few different places and no one has much selection. Correction, much selection on mid-size heels. I love the look of super high ones but I know I'll be in pain within the first half an hour and I want to enjoy my night. I hope that all of the summer stuff is not out yet and there's still more to come.

Then comes my next problem, no one ever has my size. I'm not kidding guys, just this winter I've been able to replace my winter boots...after a year of searching for some place that would have my size :(. I'm a 5, which means many shoes are not even made that small, or they bring like one pair and unless you're at the store the day they get them in, good luck finding them, especially if they're pretty. It's actually been to the point sometimes that I want to cry and give up on ever finding shoes again hahah. 

One of Juan's friends is ready to book! yay!! He's thinking of staying at our hotel, which is great. He asked for a quote, and my TA told him $2000  :blink: for double occupancy. Of course now he's kicking himself for letting another friend convince him that they'd find something cheaper close to the date instead of booking with our group. Now the friend backed out and he's left with super high prices. Oh well, nothing we can do as we warned him before but I hope he still comes, even if it's to another hotel. I know it would make Juan very happy. 

post-265511-0-78924700-1427256601_thumb.jpg

post-265511-0-08907900-1427256654_thumb.jpg

post-265511-0-23676800-1427256920_thumb.jpg

post-265511-0-13945100-1427256986_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Everything looks fantastic. Love how all the vases and holders, etc turned out -- so elegant. Still love the little owl :)

That really is too bad about the pricing. It's oh so true though!! And I have a feeling prices may get worse especially for 2016!!! The dollar ain't helping a darn thing. It's so sad people listen to others and then not only does the 'shit disturber' back out but causes headaches for those he tried to take along on his ride :( hope it works out for him. Transat has a hold though since they are the only Canadian airline to your resort. Sneaky devils.

Edited by calgarybride2015

Everything looks fantastic. Love how all the vases and holders, etc turned out -- so elegant. Still love the little owl :)

That really is too bad about the pricing. It's oh so true though!! And I have a feeling prices may get worse especially for 2016!!! The dollar ain't helping a darn thing. It's so sad people listen to others and then not only does the 'shit disturber' back out but causes headaches for those he tried to take along on his ride :( hope it works out for him. Transat has a hold though since they are the only Canadian airline to your resort. Sneaky devils.

Thanks! Yeah that owl gets me every time, I have a bunch, some are playing the guitar or cooking tacos haha.

Yeah I think they've gone up so much because of the dollar, which kind of sucks because it probably means we won't get any money back haha, but at least we booked when we did! :). I'm so happy we didn't wait any longer. 

• Like 1

I've been working on the bags today (OMG I'll never be done with these!) and I think we might have a winner! Hahah. Actually I might have two different options to do the stencil so I need your opinion.

I used stencil paper today so that it would stick to the fabric. I cut it using the cricut and my computer. 

The paper is a bit tricky to stick on because it's really flimsy but I guess it's made so that you can put it on curved objects, at least I think I can get about 5 bags per stencil :D. Anyway, it's also very time consuming to to set up because I have to detach each little piece in the holes of the letters and put them on the fabric. 

Then I went outside and started spray painting. Today is was nice and warm but holy cow was it windy! haha. I think I wasted about 50% of the paint I sprayed :P. I also lost a piece of the A in the wind, who knows where that went, so please forgive the awkward looking A on amigo haha. 

Then I went inside, and I remembered I had bought a couple of white paint pens back in the day when I thought about doing tumblers. Lightbulb went on and I decided to try it on the stencil. I think I might like this method better. It's less messy, I can do it even if it's snowing out. 

I posted two pictures to compare. The one that says Hola Amigo is done with spray paint, except for the H, which I went over again with the paint pen. The picture that only says Amigo is done only with the pen and I went over it twice The blob beside it is from last time when the stencil bled :P.  What do you guys think? Does one look better than the other? 

IMG_1017_zpsvnqzwwsa.jpg

IMG_1016_zpssglpwy5y.jpg

• Like 3

They both look good to me. In the first one you can tell the H is brighter and more sharp. But comparing the 2 they look similar so I'd say go with which one was easier to do!!!

Edit -- when I scroll in though I think I vote for spray paint. It's more fluid and doesn't start/stop. Where the M on the second may suggest a start/stop hehe does that make sense?

• Like 1

@@TinkerSofi love all the updates on the diy projects! Love the envelopes for the first aid kit and I'm so glad the bags turned out well :)

So I'm a size 5 in shoes too and am a bit of a shoe addict. My fiancé had to build me a shoe wall in our walk in closet so I can showcase all my shoes! Lol yes, I have a problem. I've had no problem looking for shoes in our size so I can try helping you out if you like. What type of shoes were you looking for and what's your budget? If you don't want to spend too much, I find aldo online has a ton of size 5s since they look at what's in stock across Canada. They accept returns at stores if you don't like them. Nine West, especially the outlet store always has a nice selection of size 5. Aside from that, across the border, nordstrom carries as small as size 4. They can ship to Canada and carry Valentino, Kate Spade, Monolo, etc. The Bay online is also pretty good, they've expanded their store here in Vancouver and the downtown store has a great shoe department

• Like 2

@@TinkerSofi love all the updates on the diy projects! Love the envelopes for the first aid kit and I'm so glad the bags turned out well :)

So I'm a size 5 in shoes too and am a bit of a shoe addict. My fiancé had to build me a shoe wall in our walk in closet so I can showcase all my shoes! Lol yes, I have a problem. I've had no problem looking for shoes in our size so I can try helping you out if you like. What type of shoes were you looking for and what's your budget? If you don't want to spend too much, I find aldo online has a ton of size 5s since they look at what's in stock across Canada. They accept returns at stores if you don't like them. Nine West, especially the outlet store always has a nice selection of size 5. Aside from that, across the border, nordstrom carries as small as size 4. They can ship to Canada and carry Valentino, Kate Spade, Monolo, etc. The Bay online is also pretty good, they've expanded their store here in Vancouver and the downtown store has a great shoe department

I found the shoes! yay! I went to Nordstrom like you suggested. I usually like to try on the shoes first because I don't wear high heels too often, so I need to make sure they're comfortable haha. David's bridal had a bunch in size 5 but not in the store and I'm always a bit skeptical about buying online. I have so many shoes that I never wear because they're too uncomfortable.

I checked out a bunch of places and no one had my size  but just as I was getting discouraged I remembered you mentioning Nordstrom so I went in and found them! :D They were right on my price range and they're quite comfy. I don't think I'll last all night on these so I need to get a backup haha. I'll post a picture when I get home because I'm at Juan's now :)

• Like 3