#1 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:03 AM

Hello Ladies!

My FI and I are getting married December 15, 2015 and i've already started my planning. The date is already set with the resort (deposit down), Photographer is also set (Deposit down - Lancelotti Photography). I've decided against the Colin Cowie wedding packages as they seem to be pretty unreasonably priced. I will be using LatinAsia for some decor/lighting and maybe Zuniga as well..

Does anyone have any tips that they would like to share about the resort or vendors?

I'm currently battling the lighting situation as the cost of hanging lanterns is pretty steep. Although I will pay for if I have to, it's a tough one to swallow. ($1000.00 for basic 3 strings of lanterns with the cost of installation $450 + tax USD for three strings + $499 USD set up fee for poles)

I'm thinking of bringing a few things of my own..

-LED Paper lanterns - going to place on at the centre of each guest table

- Votives with LED tealights - also placing on table

I will be adding my own additional lighting.

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#2 Wafflesmom

Wafflesmom
  • 948 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 23, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Moon Palace
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

Hi @perianjay, I'm a fellow Palace bride :) it costs that much for lighting? Who's that with? I'm paying about $550 for 4 strings of paper lanterns and the setup for all of my decor has a $115 fee. But I guess the set up depends on the location?!?

Although I'm not a Beach Palace bride, the rules should be around the same so I'll give you the same advice I got from my wedding coordinator. If you go with two different decor vendors, note that you'll have to pay two setup fees. So if you're trying to save some money, try to go with just one decor vendor. I went with LatinAsia since they're so easy to talk to, very accommodating and do beautiful decor. I have not had any experience with zuniga or gama though.

As for DJ, a lot of past brides have gone through outside vendors who are priced more reasonably. However, aside from the vendor fee and electricity fee, there's going to be almost $1000 in extra fees! I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this one.

The other vendor I've hired is Styling Trio for hair and makeup. I've heard lots of great reviews and they were really easy to communicate with. We even Skyped so I could communicate the look I want for the big day :)
My planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...anuary-23-2016/

<p>event.png

#3 LauraM

LauraM
  • 232 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 1, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace, Cancun Mexico

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

Still expensive but Latin Asia has clusters have hanging paper lanterns/chandeliers that I think look much nicer than the strung paper lanters

#4 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:10 AM

Hi @perianjay, I'm a fellow Palace bride :) it costs that much for lighting? Who's that with? I'm paying about $550 for 4 strings of paper lanterns and the setup for all of my decor has a $115 fee. But I guess the set up depends on the location?!?
Although I'm not a Beach Palace bride, the rules should be around the same so I'll give you the same advice I got from my wedding coordinator. If you go with two different decor vendors, note that you'll have to pay two setup fees. So if you're trying to save some money, try to go with just one decor vendor. I went with LatinAsia since they're so easy to talk to, very accommodating and do beautiful decor. I have not had any experience with zuniga or gama though.
As for DJ, a lot of past brides have gone through outside vendors who are priced more reasonably. However, aside from the vendor fee and electricity fee, there's going to be almost $1000 in extra fees! I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this one.
The other vendor I've hired is Styling Trio for hair and makeup. I've heard lots of great reviews and they were really easy to communicate with. We even Skyped so I could communicate the look I want for the big day :)

I can totally live with $550,but when I asked them about set up.. They said it's am additional 499 just to add the poles for the lanterns to hang from! Where is your reception? I've been to moon palace before.. Lovely property!

My planning thread :

#5 Wafflesmom

Wafflesmom
  • 948 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:15 AM

@perianjay we're having our ceremony at the beach, cocktails at Tucan Garden and reception at Tucan Terrace. I guess the difference is that there are lightpoles and trees that can be used to string the lights? I've never been to Moon Palace but have heard great things. I'm glad you loved it :)

Where are you having your reception?

<p>event.png

#6 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

@Wafflesmom I think i've actually seen the spot where you will be having your reception.. I saw a wedding going on there and it was near the beach on an outdoor terrace. There didn't seem to be much around it if I remember correctly (no structures).

I had no idea there was a separate fee for installing the lights until I asked them. They originally just quoted me for the lights and then I had seen another brides purchase order for her wedding at Beach Palace and she had to pay for all of these light set-up charges and that's when I thought to ask about it, but it was weird that they never mentioned it to me until I asked.

I'm having my wedding ceremony on the sky deck and my reception will be at the sky bar.

Make sure you do the sea turtle release when you go!! My FI and I did it there at sunset and it was so sweet and memorable.

Still expensive but Latin Asia has clusters have hanging paper lanterns/chandeliers that I think look much nicer than the strung paper lanters

The chandeliers are GORGEOUS! I saw those as well. I'm definitely considering all lighting options after seeing the price of the installation of the lanterns.

@Wafflesmom I forgot to mention to you as well, the way I got out of my photography vendor fee was to book them a one night stay at the resort. I did it through my travel agent and it is going to cost me $402 for my photography and their assistant. This will save me $600+ dollars since I would've had to pay the $800 vendor fee and the two day passes. Maybe see if your travel agent can do this for you as well?

I did also check with the resort just to make sure there's no way I could get in trouble for doing it and my coordinator said it's totally fine. I guess it's a loop hole that not a lot of people consider.

My planning thread :

#7 LauraM

LauraM
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

ahhhh Palace Resorts strikes again! I tried to save $$ on the photographer vendor fee and they told me I had to book a MIN of 3 nights for them, in which case it was no longer worth the $$... wish they would stop changing the rules every 5 minutes.

#8 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

ahhhh Palace Resorts strikes again! I tried to save $$ on the photographer vendor fee and they told me I had to book a MIN of 3 nights for them, in which case it was no longer worth the $$... wish they would stop changing the rules every 5 minutes.

Ohh no.. So where do you stand with the photographer right now?

They had a promotion when I booked for a half price vendor fee, but my Travel Agent was able to secure me a one night booking instead, which still worked out better because even with the half priced vendor fee, i'd still have to pay for two day passes + taxes. Room is $402 for photographer and assistant and that includes tax as well.

One of the biggest issues that I had was the inconsistency when I was looking into all of this vendor fee stuff.. it was getting so frustrating because some brides were getting away with no vendor fee and just a day pass, or a much cheaper vendor fee .. and when I first got my quote they told me $800 + day passes for each photographer.

My planning thread :

#9 LauraM

LauraM
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

Exactly! It's like they make up rules and everyone gets told something different.. I was originally told $800. However, a couple weeks later, they told me $400. So, I plan on saving and printing the latter email to bring with me, just in case. it all ended up working out.. just annoying how things change!

#10 Wafflesmom

Wafflesmom
  • 948 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

@perianjay which decor vendor have you been talking to? I've already placed the 50% deposit and there was no mention of any other setup fees on my purchase order / contract. So hopefully I'm ok. I saw some photos of the area and a few past brides said there were lamps. Since I've never been there, I can't be certain but I'm hoping there are structures and no other fees :)

And thanks for the tip but I was able to keep the old outside photographer vendor of $400 so not too bad. I'm hoping for a lenient onsite coordinator for no day passes. Keeping my fingers crossed that the inconsistencies can work in my favour lol I'm such an optimist ;)

<p>event.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2015 Brides, Beach Weddings, Mexico

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users